Author Topic: Project Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K COMPLETED!  (Read 44415 times)

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
Re: Project Marmalade 1975 CB750K
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2010, 03:16:50 pm »
 :D No crazier than the rest of us!!  ::)  I would try wet sanding a small section of the frame (600 grit) and see how it looks. I'll go thru my exhaust pile and see if I need that can. Thanks!!!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2010, 12:39:16 am »
+1 I'm looking into a furnace in the garage so I can work on it during the winter and tear it to the frame this time.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2010, 05:43:58 am »
+1 I'm looking into a furnace in the garage so I can work on it during the winter and tear it to the frame this time.
I bought a modine hot dawg propane. I got one of those RV tanks at Menard's. Works great and way cheaper than the old natural gas heater I had!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:45 am »
I am at a crossroads. 

I have replaced/redrilled/rewired the clubman handlebars and this time I pulled everything through the center of the bars where the wiring exits below the idiot light clamp.  I replaced my Tarozzi brake pedal, dropped the seat of to be reupholstered with Marine Vinyl, fabbed a small rear fender (was running without one but in hind sight it didn't look right), and with the exception of the dents and scratches in the paint work could leave it as is....

If I do move forward with the paint work I know I will- remove the rear peg brackets from the frame, remove all unnecessary tabs from the frame/swing arm, repaint the tach/speedo cups (speedo has a nice dent in it from the accident)....then do I go whole hog and strip the bike down and repaint (maybe powder coat) the frame?  I am stuck.

I'll post pics of the bike in its current state once I have the seat back from the upholsterer but that won't stop me from taking it out on the road this afternoon without it!!  It's supposed to reach 70 degrees here in Chicago today!

Scottish ex-wife Brit Mistress

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »
I was finally able to get the bike back on the road yesterday for the first time since being hit. 

The seat was reupholstered

Fabbed up a rear fender while I was waiting for the seat to come back

The ride lasted about 25 minutes (it was 42 degrees) included a high speed run and at a stop light I could see oil....

New bars are on the bike too blue tape protection still needs to be removed

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope every thing worked out and that idiot has to pay some how.

Glad to see its running again.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
Re: Project Marmalade NOW Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:37 am »
Well, it's back to the drawing board time with some new ideas and new parts!

I got everything stripped down

Then removed the engine

Have had the tank knee-dented and primed and mocked up my Honda decal

Soon the tank, side covers, head light bucket and trim will be off to the painter for new finishes I still haven't made a decison how I want the black to accent the tank.  Black knee dents?  Black stripe down the center top of tank or... something else?  All I know is it will be orange like before with black accents I just wish I could decide!

We've been snowed in with a deep freeze like much of the country

so not much has been done to the project but soon I will add my braided front brake line sized to length for clubmans, then some repainting of parts which will include the engine when I get it back from a local forum member that is helping me out (oil leaks) with the top end. 

Also scheduled to go on the bike are an electronic ignition, LED instrument lights, gauge face decals, new exhaust can, and some other stuff I can't remember....  I am itching to get back to work as I was at the Cycle World bike show over the weekend and though I have absolutely no desire for a new bike I sorely miss the two that I do have.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2011, 08:13:58 pm »
This weeks work has included cutting and grinding on the frame to remove the passenger peg supports

I cut the horizontal piece just behind the end of the rear set brackets (not shown) then wedged in a screw just inside the frame tube to help hold the bondo in place. 

I'd prefer to weld a plug in place but I don't have a welder and if the bondo falls out then I can ride the bike to someone who does! 

I am also tackling the wheel bearings starting with the rear which after some reading here was expected to be a nightmare.  The first retaining ring wasn't so bad I made a wrench with a piece of flat stock and some machine screws.

However the second retaining ring was another story!

The stake marks looked like they had been drilled out already but I checked with a bit just to be sure.  I let WD40 soak over night but it wouldn't budge.  In fact one of the screws snapped off so I had to replace it but both screws bent so I replaced those with stainless screws!! 

These too bent.  I tried heat, I tried more WD40 but it wouldn't budge.  So I went online and ordered a new retaining ring before I went any further.  Well I tried heat again but still nothing so I drilled to new holes, sprayed WD40 again it move a 1/4".  Long story short I eventually got it out but the ring was trashed luckily the threads are OK. 

Next up?  The front bearings.....can't wait..... 

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2011, 12:57:28 am »
Watches eagerly seeing his future on the front bearings  ;D
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2011, 08:50:50 am »
You just can't get enough!  Awesome work, my friend.
Rider no. 83 on the 2013 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 228 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 70 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour

my '75 CB750 cafe build photo documentary:  looking for the Lone Stars is like playing Where's Waldo -- enjoy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157615892537535/

CB350 twin, rigid meat grinder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157627005176764/

Blip Workshop
http://www.blipworkshop.com
http://www.facebook.com/blipworkshop

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2011, 11:25:08 am »
Thanks Chris you're doing great work too!  Congrats on the BOTM nomination it is well deserved you'll have my vote for sure. Your build inspired my own and continues to do so.  One of these days we need to get these two 75's on the road together....

Old75_ratafe: haven't touched the front wheel yet still waiting for parts to come in for the rear and I don't want to disassemble the front until the rear wheel is back together.  I just don't have the room to have that many parts lying about....more than I already do!  BUT if you have already tackled the job I'd LOVE to see some pics!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:36:45 am by Mayor08 »

Offline mk2jettavr6

• Total Noob...
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
Wow, this thread really inspires me to get going on my build!  I have one question... How did you get your wheels to look soo good? did you refinish them?
-Mark
75' CB750

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2011, 08:16:24 am »
mk2jettavr6:  I cheated and bought new rims if I had it to do over again I might have sent the originals out for powder coat but at the time and still now that is what I wanted.

I repainted the black hub pieces this week including the new rear sprocket I ordered came out nice after a light baking in the oven.  The rear wheel isn't 100% yet I am having trouble getting the inner retaining ring to go all the way in I'm close but still need a full turn maybe a bit more.  My goal is to get it to be flush with the outer edge of the Hub this may leave a very small gap at the bearing not sure if that will be a problem.  I get back at it tonight and hopefully get it wrapped up.

Tank, side covers, headlight bucket and trim ring went to the painter.  NOT the same one as before this is a contact I have through my side business wish I would have known him the first time around.....

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:05 pm »
well, work has been progressing slowly but not a dead stop.  I've repainted and baked the front caliper because when I was replacing the old brake lines for new braided lines I spilled some brake fluid on it.  The lines look killer (pics to follow soon) I got them from a seller on the forum. 

Before working on the caliper I removed the front wheel in preparation to replace the front wheel bearings.  Well, after some reflection on how difficult the the inner retaining ring was to replace I called one of the local Honda dealers and asked them what it would cost to remove the ring.  They said.....$10 I said I'll be there in an hour!  Well it took him about 15 minutes and he buggard the retaining ring a little even though he had the correct tool.  I didn't mind since I would have done a lot worse damage and I already have one on order in preparation of that happening.  Still I think I am ahead of the game tonight I'll pop out the old bearings and pop in the new ones and if the new retaining ring arrives I'll screw it in by hand as far as I can go then take by the shop again on my way home tomorrow.  Once back together I'll put the swing arm and rear wheel back on the the frame so it will be a rolling chassis again. 

Yesterday I picked up my motor from a fellow forum member who took apart the top end to replace the gasket under the cylinder block as it turned out there were 2 tears in that gasket no wonder why it pissing out oil at the end of the summer!  Well, all new top end gaskets, pistons and rings checked (were within spec) valves checked (seating properly) cam chain and tensioner in good shape as well.  He then adjusted the valves and when everything was bolted together he installed the carbs & exhaust and bench ran the motor to sync the carbs for me.  It really is a sweet set up he has!!  He said the carbs were close to kudos to me and my bench sync of those  but now they are perfect.  I bought a Dyna S ignition and he threw it on the bike after bench running it he said it made a huge difference compared to the points that I had on the bike.  I cannot wait to get it back on the road!!

Over the weekend I touched up the paint on the frame and primed/painted the bondo where I cut the rear passenger pegs.  Looking forward to getting the rear sets back on the bike to see how it looks! 

Finally my tank, side covers, head light bucket, and trim ring will be dropped off to the painter this weekend but he's so busy it will be a month until I get them back.  On the bright side his work is AMAZING my side business partner found him for finishing our custom drums he's a paint guy by trade.  Originally I wanted a stock appearance to the paint work and it was a complete nightmare dealing with the guy, the work was $hitty and I was lucky to even get my parts back.  This time around and in the early posts of this build I stated if I ever do another bike I would go for a more custom paint job.  Well, this time it will be more custom than stock.  I am sticking with orange and black accents but I don't want to give too much away before I post pics.  It will be something everyone has seen before nothing ground breaking but sharp nonetheless. 

Next up after the wheels are back on the bike are the gauge face decals.  I did a practice dismantle on a spare speedo and snapped the needle off so hopefully this time around I'll do better.  I now know that I should get some WD40 in where the needle pushes on to the post and let it soak.  The use a hair dryer to heat the needle before lifting up on it with a fork.  (thank you search box!)  There is a big bent in one of the housing's from the accident but that spare speedo  is in good shape but I'll repaint both cups to match so should look pretty sharp when done!

Pics to follow for sure!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:48:35 pm by Mayor08 »

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:41 pm »
Pics man pics  :D
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2011, 07:12:08 am »
Old75... pics will follow tonight left my camera at work.  I worked on removing the old front wheel bearings last night- not so tough but putting the new ones in is another story.  As of right now I have one in correctly and the second is hung up right at the lip or just past on the retaining nut side.  I am going to run out and purchase a 1 1/4" big ass socket as a drive tool as my 1 1/8" isn't quite large enough to have good bearing on the outer races.  And of course Bike Bandit still has not shipped my new retainging ring starting to regret the order...

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2011, 12:24:56 am »
cool, hey just a fyi take a measurement in MM and any Oreilly and I think autozone might too (know the oreilly's do) have tool loaners in big sizes for axle nuts that might work.  You pay for the tool (like $15) and you get the $ back when u bring it back.  I'm really interested in seeing how your wheel goes I need to do my bearings too.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »
well, I've decided to start over on the front bearings I felt that I roughed them up too much getting the first one in and not getting the second one in so I popped them out and have ordered a new set of front wheel bearings.  Last thing I need is to end up on the pavement because I wasn't willing to start again. 

I do have some pics to share of my motor apart while the top end gaskets were being replaced.

On the test stand while carbs are synced

Many thanks to forum member sohcdigger for helping out and doing such a great job!!

more pics to come once the new bearings arrive and progress is moving forward again

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »
looking good
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline SOHC Digger

• I'm not an
  • Expert
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2011, 07:24:30 pm »
Thanks for the kudos!  It was a pleasure helping get your bike back on the road!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2011, 08:12:50 pm »
I was able to get only a little bit accomplished today

bar clamp and Architect's custom gauge mount repainted and baked

Also fresh form the oven

a couple of pics of the new braided front brake line

my new retaining ring arrived Saturday from Bike Bandit never did they give a ship notification or offer a tracking number...

Until the new front wheel bearings arrive so I can have another go at getting them set tomorrow I'll start dismantling the speedo and tach for fresh gauge faces.

The front wheel bearings have been the hardest part of the the build/rebuild so far.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2011, 06:47:46 am »
Okay-  front wheel bearings are in but I am still going to have the dealer spin the retaining nut on for me you can't beat the $10 price tag!  I purchased a cheap 1 1/4" socket to use as a driver to get the bearing seated I then used a dead blow hammer to gingerly force the bearing in place.  After failing  to get the bearing in the first time around I have figured out some key points to encourage success. 

1) Start on the threaded side of the hub this bearing will go in only so far the opposite side relies on the spacer

2) I wasn't making much progress with the dead blow hammer so I moved up to a 3lbs sledge and immediately saw better progress. 

3) When striking the 1 1/4" socket I was very deliberate making 1 strike and then making sure the socket was positioned over the outer race before striking again.

4) When you hit the bearing correctly it makes a particular sound- like connecting with a baseball.  You will "know" you hit it right and it will move.

5) When setting the second bearing be mindful of how far in you need to go because you can end up pinning it against the spacer.  Also the spacer will be moving around a little even if you bend out the tangs properly- you are hitting it with a hammer or sledge!

I lubricated the bearing a little on the outside to help promote movement into the hub and it seemed to help.  It doesn't take a lot just a minor coating.

Oh and I had the bearings in the freezer to help shrink them a bit this can't hurt either!

Recap:  Start form the threaded side of the hub.  Freeze the bearings then gently lube.  Use a suitable drive tool I used a 1 1/4" socket.  Don't be afraid to use the BFH instead of the dead blow hammer and last it's no big deal if you fail bearings are CHEAP even the good ones but falling on your face at 60 MPH is bad!

I know I should have been taking pics but I couldn't be bothered but will follow up and either edit this post (not sure if you can add pics while editing a post) or add a post below as a follow up.

I forgot to put the wheel in the car this morning so I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow on my way home to have him spin in the retaining nut.  Then it will go back on the bike along with the swing arm and rear wheel so I have a rolling chassis again.

Next up is the refurbishment of the gauges- clean the glass, repaint the cups, and new faces!  Fingers crossed I don't break the needles off!  I have already done a trial run at this with an extra speedo that I bought off of ebay for the chrome back plate.  And yes I broke that needle off but am the wiser for it!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:16:15 am by Mayor08 »

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:49 am »
Yesterday I made it to the local Honda dealer to have the retaining nut spun on what a bunch of NICE guys they are!  He wasn't even going to charge me the $10 I insisted he take it as it was a BIG help to me.  Even with the correct tool the ring ended up with a couple of small marks far fewer than if I had it.  I WISH I would have gone this route with the rear wheel.

Here are a couple of pics of the rear foot peg supports after bondo and paint I think the rear sets will look great now! 

Time has been in short supply lately but I hope to have the bike back into a rolling chassis by Friday night then I can get the gauge face replacements.  Oh and I still need someone to help me lift the engine out of the back of my car it's been there for 2 weeks now!

To Do List:
1) refurbish gauge faces and housing
2) clean and repaint motor as needed
3) reinstall motor
4) install rear fender, turn signals, new chain, new front sprocket (new rear sprocket already installed), newly painted tank-side covers- headlight bucket, reconnect wiring, install HM blade fuse block, .....

Okay I still have plenty to do!  Painted parts are still 2-3 weeks away so there is time to get caught up.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2011, 12:04:48 pm »
Mayor, I'm a Chicagoland guy too (raised down by Joliet, currently live near north border of the city). What dealer did you go to for help? I may need some advice soon as i try and wrap up my refresh of a '77 550 that sat for 30+ years.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »
What paint did you use?  Aluma Blast?