Author Topic: Project Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K COMPLETED!  (Read 44411 times)

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
Re: Project Marmalade NOW Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
 ;D Looking good Mr. Mayor!!!!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »
thanks Pete! How are your projects coming?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:00:13 am by Mayor08 »
Scottish ex-wife Brit Mistress

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2011, 05:36:29 am »
 :o Ah not so good. Between home improvement and fishing 3 times a week I haven't done much but accumulate parts and another project. I should get to it in about a month.
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2011, 06:53:04 am »
Looks real good.  I like how you preserved the vintage feel while rebuilding the bike.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
Pete- you sure have it rough!  Any chance you'll be riding up to Rockerbox....?

Thanks Tweakin I hope the new paint job doesn't take away from that feel

This was just sent to me from my painters cell phone (poor quality pic) I gave him some artistic freedom with the color with some direction from me (more on that later) but I think he got the color right.  I just hope it doesn't look too modern (probably does) when the bike is assembled. 

I don't want to say that getting hit by the Lexus was the best thing that could have happened to the bike but it has given me the chance to do everything that I wanted to do the first time around but wasn't able to.

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »

Unfortunately I have nothing running at the moment. Doing a garage remodel!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:01 pm »
Nice colour Mayor, i love those "burnt" type paint colours.....Should look sweet...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2011, 07:52:56 am »
Thanks Retro, I think you're right.

Offline oldk6guy

• old bike
  • Enthusiast
  • is this ever really done?!
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2011, 10:30:28 am »
LOVE your tank!!!!!  ........................jealous.
where did you get that drilled rotor?
76 cb750 k6: 4 into 4 exhaust, open air horns on carbs.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2011, 07:46:28 pm »
Thanks K5 I can't wait for it to arrive!

I had the rotor drilled by a vendor on ebay he had many different patterns to choose from I think this one cost $45.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:25 am »

Unfortunately I have nothing running at the moment...

Well, maybe I'll have to ride up to you when I have it road worthy so you can have a look!

I made some progress last night before the rain hit oil lines and the oil tank are now installed I need to hit the auto parts store for some new breather lines and other hoses.  Painted parts are to ship to me today not sure if I'll get them by Friday otherwise I think I could have it running over the weekend but maybe that is wishful thinking!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:32 am »
Progress continues last night I added the rear sets, replaced the breather hoses and a few other misc items.

Next up are new fuel lines and then mount the carbs.  The bulk of the remaining work will be making the connections in the headlight but I've had some practice already and  the dielectric grease is ready. 

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
 ;D I bet you can't wait until you fire that mutha up!!!!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2011, 06:14:03 am »
Pete-  I am anxious to get it back on the road I didn't think it would take this long to get everything back together but paint has been the hold up.  That's the bad news the good news is the workmanship will be 100 times better than the first time with those other BA$TARDS: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67466.0

The other bad news is my painted parts did not ship yet so no chance of firing it up this weekend.

That's okay I still have enough little stuff to keep me busy...

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2011, 07:20:29 pm »
Still no painted parts but I did install the exhaust with the new tip...

There are a few odds and ends left to do but not many.

maduncle

« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2011, 02:16:15 am »

Love that Lossa Engineering exhaust tip, and thanks for putting me onto them too!

Your rear sets look so much better than stock ones too.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »
Yeah the Lossa tip is great!  Only a few places offer them but Lossa was the only one I found that had more than 1 inlet size.  The rear sets are looking good especially since I cut out the triangle!

painted parts (fingers crossed) will be here Tuesday!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2011, 08:02:41 pm »
My parts arrived!!!

No glamour shots yet...but i did get everything wired up in the head light bucket.

Blinkers work
Head light works
High beam works
Horn works
tail/brake lights work
idiot lights work- but I did break the new LED neutral light while pushing it into the bottom of the bar clamp.  Ah well, I still have the regular one... 
Starter works though their was a clicking sound.  I have been charging the battery on a 2 amp setting over night and for 5 or 6 hours on Sunday but there still isn't enough juice in it.  The funny thing is the starter did turn the motor over after a few tries but it still clicked.

Something crossed or not connected properly or does my battery just need more time to charge?

Any guesses or suggestions?

Offline DedHed

• Boob
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2011, 08:47:04 am »
Mr. Mayor...
I've been watching your build from my lurking vantage point... If you recall I too have a 74 750K and debating as to whether or not do a similar restoration/mod as you.
Looking back over the past couple of years, knowing what you know now, would you prefer to have conducted more of a restoration over the cafe mod? I am still sitting on the fence with mine as I have been for the past year!
I do have my eye on a 76 360K I may be able to get on the cheap. These particular scooters had two major manufacturer mods to the engine. However, $350 for something that the engine turns but does not turn over seems a good candidate.
BTW - I have bookmarked this thread for reference when I start my project.
Thanks for the detail and updates. They are very much appreciated!
Phil
CB750 K4

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:41 am »
WOW DedHed!

Thank you for an amazing compliment.  To answer your question I would still have done the cafe build.  I have a 2008 Triumph Bonneville that I keep nearly 100% stock but gave me the itch to do some tinkering which is what led me here after seeing a redone CB750K on the Triumph forum.  Also the bike I ended up using for this project was in no shape for restoration though I guess could have done a sympathetic restoration.  Get it running well, new cables/tires/seat/bars not much else but that was not what I was wanting to do and would have lost interest quickly. 

I think that is the question you have to ask yourself: What will help you see the project through?  It's a tough question to answer.  I think I'd like to do another project sooner rather than later but know I would get very little done because of the limited space that I have to work with (especially in the winter) and it would feel like a chore. 

maduncle

« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2011, 03:50:31 pm »

Starter works though their was a clicking sound.  I have been charging the battery on a 2 amp setting over night and for 5 or 6 hours on Sunday but there still isn't enough juice in it.  The funny thing is the starter did turn the motor over after a few tries but it still clicked.

Something crossed or not connected properly or does my battery just need more time to charge?

Any guesses or suggestions?

Having just got my bike on the road and having experianced similar problems, I have traced it back to the old  regulator. So I am replacing both the regulator and rectifier with parts from Oregon Motorcycle Parts  http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/ (who I found on this forum).

So perhaps the other components in your charging circuit are not working?

Although I would have thought a fully charged battery would start the bike, and then just go flat very quickly if it was not being charged by the bike.

Hope you nail that little problem soon and get to start the bike up.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2011, 07:51:11 pm »
When I was turning the engine over I did not have the carbs mounted I was just checking to make sure I had everything connected.

Tonight I mounted the carbs, connected the throttle cables, clutch cable, Dyna S to the black wire going to the rear brake light switch, mounted the tank, and put the battery back in.

Again when I hit the start button the rectifier clicks and when I touch it, it vibrates with the clicking.  Not wanting to do further damage to anything else on the bike I mounted the kick starter and with the fourth kick it caught and held.  I wanted to go on the second kick but idled easily on the 4th kick.  I let it warm up and then a quick run up and down the street not too far I hadn't mounted the head light yet. 

For some reason today the turn signal idiot light now doesn't work.  I messed with it a bit but didn't want to spend too much time on it. 

Tomorrow I'll start trouble shooting the rectifier as well as go for a quick run (first of course)!

maduncle

« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2011, 03:23:48 am »

Success!

Man that must have felt so good when it started on the kick and then you went for that first ride.

Well done.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2011, 08:11:03 am »
it did feel good and to be honest I was a little nervous to start it.  There is always something that can go wrong when putting a bike back together so I knew there was no guarantee that it would start right away.  The Dyna S makes a big difference not only did it start right away but all 4 cylinders were firing which was not always the case. 

Of course it's pissing down rain here today so probably no chance of getting out for a ride or to work on it. 

And worst of all...no chance to take new pics!

Offline DedHed

• Boob
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2011, 06:48:56 am »
WOW DedHed!

Thank you for an amazing compliment.  To answer your question I would still have done the cafe build.  I have a 2008 Triumph Bonneville that I keep nearly 100% stock but gave me the itch to do some tinkering which is what led me here after seeing a redone CB750K on the Triumph forum.  Also the bike I ended up using for this project was in no shape for restoration though I guess could have done a sympathetic restoration.  Get it running well, new cables/tires/seat/bars not much else but that was not what I was wanting to do and would have lost interest quickly. 

I think that is the question you have to ask yourself: What will help you see the project through?  It's a tough question to answer.  I think I'd like to do another project sooner rather than later but know I would get very little done because of the limited space that I have to work with (especially in the winter) and it would feel like a chore. 

So true.... Introducing another project (The 360) would certainly slow the progress of resto/mod the 750 (Not to mention the 300zx I have in the garage awaiting paint and interior!). The thing that is satisfying about these projects is they are mine, not for re-sale, not for shows just for my own perverse urge to get greasy and grimy.
After many hours of perusing the forums here, I think I will bring the 750 to a restoration / modification to look as original as I can and still give my self permission to use hex head bolts on the engine rather than shopping around for non-stripped 1974 phillip's head screws.... Mod the 360 to a cafe. and let someone else handle the paint on the 300 and I'll dig around for the interior...
Thanks for the response and I'll start a thread soon enough on the "Orange Avenger" (750)
Phil
CB750 K4