Author Topic: 76 CB750F The Wrench  (Read 12521 times)

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
Re: 76 CB750F The Wrench
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 05:32:44 am »
i would be worried about them slipping out. and circlips are cheap
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 06:35:23 am »
Just came across your build, which is starting to look good.  Where did the tail piece come from? I like the little bob at the rear...Larry

Offline articblue

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 09:12:06 am »
Just came across your build, which is starting to look good.  Where did the tail piece come from? I like the little bob at the rear...Larry

The tailpiece and tank came from Carpy. It's been over a year and a half since I started.
http://www.cb750cafe.com/
Good quality, not quite bolt on :)

Hopefully I'll get back to working on it this week...although house projects are taking up a lot of time.

Eventually I'll get something that runs, but until then I'll wrench until I make it run.
Project 750

Also, another 'new' project 1975 Honda CB400F.

Offline articblue

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 02:44:18 pm »
Good news for once...Got the cylinder block on the engine, ring clips instead of the circlips on the wrist pin.
Didn't break or forget to put anything back in :)

I'll have some pictures up soon. Umm later tonight. Gotta set a goal  :P
Eventually I'll get something that runs, but until then I'll wrench until I make it run.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 05:13:54 am »
Good news bad news time.

Good news, I got the engine in the frame. With the Gordon Frame kit, the engine went in under 5 minutes, and I didn't have to pay for a trip to the chiropractor. The frame kit, if you don't have one is worth every penny.

Bad news, I was torquing the cylinder head down to the block...and one of the engine studs sheared.
So the engine will be coming back out soon.

In the mean time,  I have new studs from cycle X coming in, and a few other pieces.

Project 750

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:18:14 am »
Good learning experience-have everything torqued before installation, and good exercise :D...Larry

Offline articblue

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 05:38:29 am »
I think the appropriate lesson here: Don't re-use 30+ old engine stud bolts if you've already gone through the trouble of doing an engine rebuild from the crank up. :D
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 06:03:52 pm »
Wow, ok so time flies.

Lets see, got the engine studs out :)

Decided since the engine looked like crap well I'll go ahead an paint it...might as well since I've now broken the cases apart for the 3rd time.

So I've prepped the cases for some good ol' media blasting.

I love getting new tools in it's always fun.

Built the blasting box from some scrap wood. Spent I think 30 bucks to build the box and an afternoon.

Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »
So I got a little work done today on the 750.
Painted the engine cases and they look much better then before.
This was a bit of work to get them cleaned and down to the metal.
I used the POR 15 engine enamel stuff which went on well, just a little time consuming.

All in all i'm pleased with the results.
Now I just gotta get around to putting the guts back in.
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 06:40:16 pm »
So I've recently been working on the 75 cb 400F engine. Mainly because the 750 is back to the cases, and the 400 just needs the cam chain back in and the rockers and stuff put back on to be complete. Then it'll be out of the basement :)

So I was torquing down the cylinder head on the 400F thinking, man this is pretty easy, I'm not having to tourqe really hard or anything...thinking back to when I sheared the cylinder stud bolt off in the 750 block...well good news I got the 400F all torqued down b]without[/b] a miss-hap. THen thinking back.. i must have set the old torque wrench wrong or something cause it was just a lot easier this time around.
Granted my torque wrench is a few inches longer...<--- 'insert that's what she said' so maybe it was the added moment force that helped.

Anyway, I figured I'd jack my own thread an post a pic of the 400F motor so far :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:53:41 pm by articblue »
Project 750

Offline articblue

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 05:47:27 pm »
So after a very long break, house things getting in the way.
(The house owns you, you never own the house)

The really cool 1978 Goldwing is now off to a better place, after making its way around craigslist.

I've finally gotten the engine for the 1976 CB750F into the frame.
This took a bit of doing, and some unfortunate events with broken engine studs. Which required me to pull the engine back out, tear it down again and then rebuild with new studs, cam chain ( cause I might as well) and some non-burnt out valves, and stronger springs.

So a lot of work has happened on the 750 since the last post, there's still a far amount left.
I just need to start working through the immediate list:

Rear Sets
- Fabricating the rear set brackets, I want to avoid having to weld a fixed bracket to the frame

Electrics
- The rats nest that is old electrics, will be meeting a swift end with the addition of a solid sate rectifier / regulator instead of the mess that was the older semi-discrete electrics without the rectifier / regulator in one.

The tank is actually a 400F tank that I got for a good price. No rust inside or out which was amazing. Fixed the dents and put some cool indents in the front to clear the clip ons and stuff.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 05:56:02 pm by articblue »
Project 750