Author Topic: Adapting early cb400 rear sets and cb650 rear wheel on a cb550  (Read 7237 times)

Offline physician

• Enthusiast
  • old school...
    • photo galerie
Adapting early cb400 rear sets and cb650 rear wheel on a cb550
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:42:55 pm »
i did those installations on last winter and forgot to share informations...
i sold the bike and build a gsxr streetfighter and a vtr1000 well..

in order to have a better rear tire on my 78 CB550k, i instaleld a 81 cb650 rear wheel and swing arm i had layin around.
the only difference is that i had a custom bushing machine to go into the larger 650 swing arm pivot and around the 550 bolt.

once i had the bushing, i had to lenghten the chain by 4-5 links to compensate for the around 1 inch longer swing arm...
voila! a nice 140 tire installed in less than an hour....

after
(with cb400 rear sets)

after that, i adapted early CB400ss rear sets i bought from ebay. reason to go that way was for the bike to appear original. judge by your self from the pictures...

stock right

modified right
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/physician0/?action=view&current=cbrearseetgsxrtail008.jpg&newest=1
stock left

modified left

on both sides, CB400ss foot pegs needs to have the guide hole inlarge to fit the 550 spigot. they will bolt in place perfectly without anymore problems

for the brake lever, i didnt have the cb400 one so i dont know if it will fit. i modified a stock 550 arm
by cutting it in 3 place and rewelding it in the correct orientation in order to clear everything
The OEM arm is made out of around 3/8 think steel.. so with good welds, it wont have any long term problems
modified arm on top, oem on bottom

the first cut on the left is to pivot the spline end 180 degree and allow the arm to go down from there instead of going front
the second cut ( on the right) is to put the feet plate in the correct orientation

on the shifter side, i simply bend the transmission lever a bit so it will clear the transmission cover because i did not want to cut them for clearance
i reverse some parts as you can see.
and voila
with some grinding and fresh sylver paint it look close to stock enough for me

Hope it will help some builders here.

and here is the current bike being redone again this winter with vrod headlight and twin carbon mufflers mount on seat sides...

a 98 honda vtr1000f superhawk
at some point, it had the cb550 mirrors :D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:44:49 pm by physician »
k2 chassis k7 engine resto mod
k7 cafe/fighter/brat

Offline von_Wanderlust

• Enthusiast
Re: Adapting early cb400 rear sets and cb650 rear wheel on a cb550
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:19:09 pm »
Hey, thanks for this thread on the CB400 rearsets, it looks great.

Here's another thread that discusses and has pics on this mod: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=36602.0
2.5 kids: 1 x CB500, 1 x CB550, 0.5 x CB550 (all basket cases)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
Re: Adapting early cb400 rear sets and cb650 rear wheel on a cb550
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:04 pm »

Always looking for neat ideas on how to do different things on these Hondas AND I am never disappointed, because you all come up with such clever ideas AND aren't afraid to share. 8)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!