Author Topic: yoshi exhaust  (Read 20579 times)

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
Re: yoshi exhaust
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 03:18:24 pm »
I bought a new 4-1 from Mark at M3. He assured me it was an exact copy (only better engineered) of the genuine Yoshimura pipe that he owns. Isn't this the case Mark? (Phil Clark, Woodbridge, UK).

Phil...Yes, You have a very well engineered exact copy of the hand bent Pops' pipe. Yours is much better in it's finish and fit than my real Pop's pipe.

Mk@m3
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:27 pm »
it looks to me the reason there aren't more decent exhausts and other parts for our bikes is that there aren't enough of em left to make it worthwhile to the manufacturers. they love the harley/cruiser crowd and the plastic sport bike crowd too because theres so damn many of em.

Your exactly correct in your assumption RE: not enough customers out there that want well designed, Hi-perf pipes for Hon SOHC's. Talked with Lang Hindle, from up in Canada, once at Daytona and asked him to build me some pipes.  His reply...threw out all the jigs he had, because they take up too much room in his facility and unless I order a thousand...was not worth his efforts.

He made a great pipe for CB750's.

KOS

Offline paddy paul

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 04:16:01 pm »
Phil, How much was the M3 pipe? cheaper than the yamiha?

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 05:14:13 pm »
i highly doubt that.  he doesn't even advertise them on his site, probably a limited run or one off.  i'd reckon $1000+, i'll be VERY surprised and interested otherwise, haha!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline Rod

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:53 am »
I think there are two concerns about striving for the 'Prize' of a Yoshi exhaust. Firstly, as others have mentioned from time to time on this site, things have moved on from Pops day: he did not have access to the materials and computerised design/diagnostics available to engineers today, and exhaust design is one area that has benefited especially in this regard.

Secondly and more importantly (I'm sure Pops would have agreed), performance exhausts should never be considered another 'bolt on' part in the tuning project. There is no such thing as a generic 'race' exhaust, i.e. one that simply makes all tuned engines of a given type go faster, thats a myth that sustains the lucrative aftermarket for street-jockeys. When Pops designed his exhausts, he will have done so taking account of all the detailed Yoshi tuning, mods and wizardy that had been done to the internals, plus carbs and setup etc. Which means if you have a complete Pops engine and setup then the Yoshi exhaust is made for the job, if you dont............

An interesting website put it much more succinctly; when it comes to exhausts, don't think Parts, think Package       http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

Hope I'm not being too controversial here.
Rod

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 05:00:43 am »
it looks to me the reason there aren't more decent exhausts and other parts for our bikes is that there aren't enough of em left to make it worthwhile to the manufacturers. they love the harley/cruiser crowd and the plastic sport bike crowd too because theres so damn many of em.

Your exactly correct in your assumption RE: not enough customers out there that want well designed, Hi-perf pipes for Hon SOHC's. Talked with Lang Hindle, from up in Canada, once at Daytona and asked him to build me some pipes.  His reply...threw out all the jigs he had, because they take up too much room in his facility and unless I order a thousand...was not worth his efforts.

KOS
You actually told me this story years ago during a phone conversationas I told you I was running a Hindle on my CB
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline paddy paul

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 08:21:33 am »
No matter what exhaust I end up using, I understand that it's part of the overall "package",carbs, proper head work, Cam, pistons, etc, But I think one of the keys to the SOHC'S is the fuel/air issue, more fuel,more air, more HP..
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:40:27 pm by paddy paul »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 11:42:54 pm »
Maybe a california member could roll by Performance Welding Racing Headers, they are in Foresthill. Not sure where that is but they build an awesome stainless drag race header. I got a set of 2 1/4 x 2 3/8 stepped, stainless, polished with merge collectors for $1100 for my dragster, thats for two, twice as big as honda pipe. Most shops get $2600 for a similar pipe. Just a thought.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Phil

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 02:37:10 am »
RE: my 4-1 from M3 Racing. It is very well made and finished. It fits at the cylinder head perfectly. It certainly looks like a Yoshimura product but doesn't have those flowing bends of the hand-built Yoshimura pipes. I don't think the production Yoshimura pipes had the sweeping bends either. I haven't run an engine with this pipe yet. Cost? Not unreasonable! There would be no problem, I'm sure, of precisely replicating a hand-built Yoshimura pipe. There are more who can do this work than Rob North! (Not to belittle Rob North's amazing work but I know a guy who built the original factory Rob North frames for BSA/ Triumph. He told me they didn't have a jig back then (everyone was slightly different) and they bent the tubes around a tree outside the workshop! He still builds the RN replica frames and now uses a proper jig and says they are much better!) There is a firm in South Wales (I think) that builds exhausts for race cars including F1, WTC cars etc. Some of these are truly amazing pieces of engineering and a Yoshi pipe would be well within their capability if they had one to copy. Remember, Pops bent them by hand!

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 06:14:03 am »
A guy who built the original Rob North frames?

Rob North built all of the original Rob North frames. The only thing he did not do correctly was to stamp sequential serial number them... as to differentiate form those who came after him. Everything after Robs originals are just replicas.

KOS

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 09:20:23 am »
If Pops hand bent the pipes, then there is probably no standard, they are probably all a bit different.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 10:00:20 am »
small trivia question.....

Who was first out there with a race 4-1?

The first production bike was the CB400 Four me thinks, but who actually tried it first at the track and when, yoshi?

not that i know the answer, just curious

TG

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 10:19:54 am »
Well I think it actually was Yoshimura who first raced with the 4 into 1, was a controversy between him and Honda who used the 4 megga's, the Yoshi's were faster. Not always more reliable but faster.
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline cb750k77

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 07:45:08 pm »
i've got an idea why not find some cheep old Kerker 4-1 headers and put this carbon fiber muffler on it :D
CB750k77 rebuilt (almost)

Offline Phil

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 09:17:55 am »
Dave Degens (of Dresda) claims to have made the first 4-1. He told me he did it simply to improve the ground clearance and them discovered it improved mid-range power. Whether frames or exhausts, most genuine race parts were hand-bent in those days and no two were ever likely to be identical.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 09:39:27 am »
I think there are two concerns about striving for the 'Prize' of a Yoshi exhaust. Firstly, as others have mentioned from time to time on this site, things have moved on from Pops day: he did not have access to the materials and computerised design/diagnostics available to engineers today, and exhaust design is one area that has benefited especially in this regard.

Secondly and more importantly (I'm sure Pops would have agreed), performance exhausts should never be considered another 'bolt on' part in the tuning project. There is no such thing as a generic 'race' exhaust, i.e. one that simply makes all tuned engines of a given type go faster, thats a myth that sustains the lucrative aftermarket for street-jockeys. When Pops designed his exhausts, he will have done so taking account of all the detailed Yoshi tuning, mods and wizardy that had been done to the internals, plus carbs and setup etc. Which means if you have a complete Pops engine and setup then the Yoshi exhaust is made for the job, if you dont............

An interesting website put it much more succinctly; when it comes to exhausts, don't think Parts, think Package       http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

Hope I'm not being too controversial here.
Rod
More on RB Racing here. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aboutrb.htm
He (Rob Banes IIRC) actually did other stuff before Harley. I have a hand made CB750 pipe of his that is supposedly a knock off of Honda's B'ol D'or pipe. Used it on my roadracer and later on my 888 street bike. Seemed to work really well on both. I was able to tune out all popping and flat spots, which is hard to do often. It is not a monument to beautiful bends but rather a series of stratights and bends all welded together. No compromise for street, couldn't use the centerstand and had to remove it to change the oil. It had total ground clearance though couldn't scrape it even if you fell down. Hope to use it on my cafe racer project.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:50:26 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 09:52:21 am »
Dave Degens (of Dresda) claims to have made the first 4-1. He told me he did it simply to improve the ground clearance and them discovered it improved mid-range power. Whether frames or exhausts, most genuine race parts were hand-bent in those days and no two were ever likely to be identical.
Cool but when did it happen? Trying to figure out also when was the system seen first.

BTW, Honda's very own 1975 CB500R endurance racer already sports a 4-1, so the time window must be between, 1972 and 1975. Dont remember ever seeing a race CB750 sporting a 4 -1 before 1972, but i might be wrong.

TG

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:00:46 am by turboguzzi »

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:34 am »

KOS

Perhaps you boys have seen the NOS Hindle 4 into 1 on EBay?!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 10:26:28 am »
from yoshi's site....

"1971     The first prototype 4-1 exhaust system was introduced by Pop and tried on CB750 in Ontario 250."

can anyone confirm?

TG

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 10:51:44 am »
I am thinking Russ Collins was building 4-1s by 70 or 71.., not 100 % sure on that..

By the end of 72, there was at least, 6 or 8, if not more manufacturers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:59:24 am by 754 »
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 11:27:37 am »
I am thinking Russ Collins was building 4-1s by 70 or 71.., not 100 % sure on that..

By the end of 72, there was at least, 6 or 8, if not more manufacturers.
I had the TripleA in my avatar no later than Oct 71. It wasn't the first available. Yosh may have been first but not by much.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 11:37:06 am »
Looks like RC was making them in 70 or earlier..

Got to be the most made, by the most makers, part for any Honda..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
Pop's probably was the first, but George Kerker always claimed he was first, but so did Russ Collins of RC Engineering. Also Jim Dickerson on of Action fours was talking like he did it first. Here is a picture of Gary Fisher's bike at Sears Point, Ca 1971...lookes to me like a hand bent, four into one!

I'm pretty sure Dave Degen's was not the first. They did not even sell CB750's in Europe until 1971.

Also, look at the craftsmanship of the bike...NOT!  Look at those welds! Can you say, arc welder!!! Yikes, I can't believe it made it thru tech?

KS

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »
Well I think it actually was Yoshimura who first raced with the 4 into 1, was a controversy between him and Honda who used the 4 megga's, the Yoshi's were faster. Not always more reliable but faster.

No Honda did not make a four into one until early 1973 at their comeback effort at Daytona on Sumiya, Riemann & McLaughlin works bikes.

There is a bit of a story to tell here....Jim Dickerson an ex-American Honda employee and the guy who caused a fit over the four individual carb cables in Ko's sticking and causing the first recall in motorcycle history to be issued. He went off and started Action Fours in Southern California and kept challenging Honda guys to a drag race with their Works 1973 bikes with four individual megaphones on them against his Action Fours street bike with four into one. Guess who won....the Action fours bikes, by a wide margin! Honda immediately built up some four into ones for Daytona event.

Trouble is, Jim never told Honda that his bikes were "BIG" 836-900cc's or something like that.

KOS

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »
Also, it is general agreed that Triumph made the first collector exhaust for motocycles on their fabulous 750 Triples. 3 into one.

KOS