Author Topic: SPOKE SAVIOR!!!  (Read 2130 times)

Offline johnsy

• Hot Shot
    • what I do!
SPOKE SAVIOR!!!
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »
So here is the deal, I couldnt bring myself to spend $2+ per spoke (depending on where you buy) on spokes i will be powder coating anyway. So in my attempts to save the factory spokes I soaked them then did the whole degreaser dirt removal thing to get them powder coatable. Here is where my concern came in. Every spoke nipple, I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE had rust over growth on them from the inside of the rim out. So I gave them a once over on the wheel (wire brush wheel) and here you have it...as far as time it took about 30 minutes for 40 nipples. So any rust on your spokes and nips is most likley just surface rust. If you have a buffer wheel or can find one ( just saw one on ebay for $60) my be worth the investment.
Cheers,  

previous build links
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62305.msg676790#msg676790
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=63849.msg701727#msg701727
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:14:03 am by johnsy »
1-daily driver, 2007 CBR 600rr
current project, cb550 four
75 360T

Offline lynchj

• Enthusiast
  • Life is short ...go for a ride now
Re: SPOKE SAVIOR!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:00:33 am »
Sorry, I don't have any wheels for sale but you have inspired me to attempt cleaning up my old spokes. I think mine are in worse shape than yours and probably will have to buy new, time will tell. Thanks for the motivation. $ is tight and I really can't afford buying new ones right now.
my CB500 build thread   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=54143.0

Other toys: 98 YZ125, 70 MGB, 99 Camaro

Offline johnsy

• Hot Shot
    • what I do!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:02:12 pm »
Sorry, I don't have any wheels for sale but you have inspired me to attempt cleaning up my old spokes. I think mine are in worse shape than yours and probably will have to buy new, time will tell. Thanks for the motivation. $ is tight and I really can't afford buying new ones right now.

I would give it a shot...some of mine looked worse than the one in the pic. You may even use a Dremel tool or even steel wool. May take a little longer but hey its worth it. Good luck.
Cheers
75 360T

Offline johnsy

• Hot Shot
    • what I do!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:17:21 am »
oops :-\ i meant to say buffer wheel....not to imply i was looking for a new spoke wheel. I was able to save all spokes and nips after hitting them with the wire wheel brush. now they are ready for powder coat.
75 360T

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:50:21 pm »
You are powdercoating straight away? I did a similar, though less intensive spoke scrub when I got my rig. However, of course, the rust came back within a year. It's not as bad as before, but it's like chasing a phantom. I'm still saving pennies for my dream build SS spokes with shouldered Excels!

Offline johnsy

• Hot Shot
    • what I do!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:26:57 pm »
You are powdercoating straight away? I did a similar, though less intensive spoke scrub when I got my rig. However, of course, the rust came back within a year. It's not as bad as before, but it's like chasing a phantom. I'm still saving pennies for my dream build SS spokes with shouldered Excels!

yep! frame and spoke will be the same color. Got a killer deal on the powdercoating, flat rate for the frame and throw in the extras that are the same color...so i figure get the bang for the buck. I should have the drawings of the final design of the bike done by this weekend and you get a feel for what im shooting for.
Cheers
75 360T