Author Topic: 1978 CB750F - Metric Mayhem"  (Read 61382 times)

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
Re: '78 CB750F - Project - "METRIC MAYHEM"
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:29 am »
Awesome news, but if there are no pics no progression is happening. :D  Is has to feel good to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:12 am »
Actually your correct! There basically has been no progress happening, and only plans of progress. Thus the lack of photos...  :-\

Schedules got pretty busy between me, and my friend helping me with the bike over the last month. Plus, the bike is in his garage, and he doesn't live close. In a couple weeks we are both taking some time off work, and I'm going to travel down there. We are going to get the engine completed, drop it in the frame, and try to fire it up. The goal is to have the bike completed totally by the end of April, because his lease is up in May and has to move. So the bike better be done! I just bought a new helmet and gloves, and got my jacket out of the closet in preparation.

I'm taking all my photography equipment with me, so there will definitely be photos of the planned progress  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:56:03 pm by scroggins5000 »

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:38 pm »
There was a lot of work done on the bike this past weekend, but we weren't able to try and get the engine started. We ran into some issues with the motor. The aftermarket head gasket had to be modified to fit. Also, we thought we were missing some engine dowels, but it turns out we only needed four and not eight (weird F motors...) Then we had issues removing a bolt that had snapped off in the bottom cases. The easy out broke off in the bolt. Then after finally getting that out, plus the remainder of the seized bolt, a Heli-Coil insert had to be installed. Luckily it went in very easily, and gave us no more issues after that. After some heavy lifting and straining, we got the motor into the rolling chassis. I took too many photos to post here. Instead I'll just post the link to my Flickr set where I am keeping all of my photos of the complete build.

Here is the link to the full set of pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scroggins5000/sets/72157606346430260/

The new photos start on page three. Here is a direct link to that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scroggins5000/sets/72157606346430260/?page=3

Enjoy.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »
Were all those bolts SS hex heads? What that end up costing?

Offline Woody

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2011, 02:29:24 am »
Nice work. I hate not having my bike at the actual place that its worked on. Hopefully getting my own damn garage this summer.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2011, 07:57:44 am »
Were all those bolts SS hex heads? What that end up costing?

Yeah, they are. I don't remember the cost, or where I bought them. I got them a couple of years ago, but I will try to find out though.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2011, 08:01:52 am »
Nice work. I hate not having my bike at the actual place that its worked on. Hopefully getting my own damn garage this summer.

Yeah, it's tough keeping it in someone's garage other than your own, but at least I know it's in good hands.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: "METRIC MAYHEM" - too many new photos to post
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2011, 10:52:36 am »
This is a nicely detailed project log.  I'm digging the color scheme and look forward to seeing more as the bike comes together.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2011, 10:37:43 am »
This is a nicely detailed project log.  I'm digging the color scheme and look forward to seeing more as the bike comes together.

Thanks Syscrush. The project has a strange pace to it. It's usually super slow and steady, and every once and while there are sudden bursts where we get a whole lot done. I can't wait to have it running...

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2011, 12:55:48 pm »
Here are a few photos detailing some of the issues we had with the motor.

Photo of the new 836cc piston set from Dynoman being placed in the head. We tried to put the pistons in the jugs first then dropping it on and connecting the rods. It ended up being easier to go with the traditional route.

Here is a photo of the bottom end before the jugs went on.

The aftermarket head gasket that came with the 836cc kit had to be modified. The oil passages were too small for the engine dowels and o-rings to be placed. I opened them up with a Dremel tool, hammered the paper back flat, burned off the excess, and cleaned up the metal with a fine-tooth curved file.

Now it fits.

Before the head gasket was done, we thought we had an issue with missing engine dowels for the oil passages between cylinders 1-2 and 3-4. We had four dowels, but had 8 o-rings in the gasket set. After searching the entire shop for more engine dowels, we thought we were going to have to wait to finish this engine until we could buy more. Thankfully this was not the case. After getting online and checking with parts fiche's quantity numbers. We found out we did in fact only need 4. The F2 and F3 models only use 4 out of the 8 passages, and only the K models use all 8. I have no idea why. Anyone?... The 4 passages closest two cylinder 2 & 3 are plugged up underneath the jugs. We didn't remember that because we put the jugs on the night before. The F2 and F3 only use the oil passages closest to cylinders 1 & 4. Just FYI if you have a later F model...

Two of the spark plug holes had to have time-serts installed because of corrosion.

Head on.

Cam installed.

Rocker arm installation.

Valves were adjusted and then the cover went on.

We flipped the motor over and were getting ready to put the bottom cases on, and found one of the bolts had sheered off and needed to be tapped out. The first attempt, the easy out, snapped off in the bolt...

Here is a photo of that mess...

After a while it finally all came out. We got it tapped, and inserted a heli-coil.

We got the transmission installed.

We moved on and got the oil pump and screen installed.

Cases on.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:52 pm »
Good work, and very nice photography, too.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2011, 01:31:43 pm »
Thanks Syscush. I do a lot of freelance photography in my free time.

Donor transmission ended up being incorrect, but I didn't really need it anyways. Not sure what model it's from, but it's about half the size of the 750's. I'm thinking it may be off of a 350. Not sure yet. I need to find out so I can get rid of it.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2011, 01:37:08 pm »
Photos of the engine in the bike.

That's my friend Aaron in the photos. He is the one I'm learning from, and helping me put this thing together.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:39:15 pm by scroggins5000 »

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2011, 02:01:34 pm »
Couldn't resist slapping the tank, seat, and exhaust on to see how it looked.

The rear engine bolt will need to be shorter, because of the removal of the aluminum brackets that the pegs were on. We will probably go with some all-thread and cut to fit, instead of modifying the current bolt.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2011, 02:12:02 pm »
The carb boots were hard as rocks, and they needed to be softened. I had read about the wintergreen oil mixed with xylol. Wintergreen is kind of costly, so we came up with our own mixture. Since that is just an oil mixed with thinner, we used linseed oil and mineral spirits. We decided to heat the mixture to speed up the process. We didn't watch it close enough, and it flared up. We put a lid on it and removed it from the flame and it was fine. After that we decided to get it to a boil, and turn off the flame and let it rest until it cooled down. After they cooled down they were pliable, and had their sheen restored. We heated it up once more and left it in the mixture the rest of the day.

They came out great. Heating is probably not even needed, but it doesn't hurt (unless it catches fire).

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2011, 02:24:11 pm »
The new tank badges use the logo I made for my friend Aaron's new business. Since this was his first official work on a build, I decided to name the bike "Metric Mayhem" as well. They were 3D printed in plastic. They will be mounted to the tank using emblem tape, instead of posts. That way he can use them for future projects as well.

I first drew them up in Adobe Illustrator. (Also comped a back and side view with size specs/ level heights not shown)

Had them rendered in 3D with help from my friend Wes.

This is how it came from the printer.

Final product painted to match the tank.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »
Looking good!  Bet you can't wait to fire that thing up.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »
Is the material for that emblem pliable at all?  Or is the tank surface there flat enough that you can mount a flat emblem?  Or did you model it on the curve of the tank?

Looks great.  You have a very complete and coherent vision for this bike, I love how it's coming together.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2011, 03:38:52 pm »
Thanks for the compliments Tweakin and Syscrush. I'm big fans of your work, and it means a lot coming from you guys.

Is the material for that emblem pliable at all?  Or is the tank surface there flat enough that you can mount a flat emblem?  Or did you model it on the curve of the tank?

It is curved to match the tank, but not perfect. The ends stick up a little bit. The material is pliable, but strong. Once the emblem tape is on, it should hold it flush no problem. I'm not sure how well a flat badge made from this would mount.

Here is a link to more info on the material used to print the badges.
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/white_strong_flexible

For reference, the material used is $1.50 per cubic cm, and a single badge that I made cost just over $30.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:40:36 pm by scroggins5000 »

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2011, 06:34:50 pm »
Thanks for the compliments Tweakin and Syscrush. I'm big fans of your work, and it means a lot coming from you guys.
I think you just mean Tweakin on that one - I haven't done any CB work...

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
I think you just mean Tweakin on that one - I haven't done any CB work...

Yeah, but you know a lot.

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:11 am »
Nice work! As far as the allen bolts in the bottom of the case, are those stainless?
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
Nice work! As far as the allen bolts in the bottom of the case, are those stainless?

Thanks. Yeah all the replacement bolts for the cases and carbs are stainless.

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2011, 08:19:26 am »
I have had lots of questions on where I got my gauges. Provided links below.

Got the speedo here:
http://www.debrix.com/60mm-4-LED-Black-Face-Speedometer-1973-1994-Harley-p/39-0578-vt.htm

Tach here:
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:22:16 am by scroggins5000 »