Author Topic: cb500... stupid question.  (Read 966 times)

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
cb500... stupid question.
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:40:29 pm »
OK so i take off my left cover to investigate a possible shifter seal issue... didn't even think about the twitchy, non functioning neutral light. so i find the wire for it. all chewed up by the chain, and i cant tell whats missing. is the switch itself still there, i strongly feel its not, but could just be missing the bolt/screw that held the wire? i really dint know though, cant find a parts fiche that details it... tried searching too.. any ideas?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: cb500... stupid question.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:31:16 pm »
the end of the shift drum,the sloted part,should have a plastic oval shaped contact switch,there should also be a metal frame that forms the contacts for the neutral switch,it looks to be missing,looks like both the screws for the plastic cam and the metal frame the wire connects to have fallen out and the whole lot got chewed up and expelled.did the neutral light used to work?  

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »
Looks like the seal is missing too
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »
well spotted bryanj!!i wonder if it has always been like that from a POs tampering?theres your oil leak.

Offline domer

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:50 am »
#$%* there is supposed to be a seal there too? god damn po... the light did work, just not when it was supposed to... i knew it was shorted somewhere...
anyone know where i can find a parts fiche that'll detail what im missing?

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »
http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/default.aspx

BUT be advised that the switch has been obsoleted so you are looking for old stock somewhere and they aint cheep.

Westernhillshonda.net may be able to help, i do have some new ones but i am in UK so not onle not cheap but international postage!! For info all 500 and 550 are the same if you have a wreckers locally
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline domer

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:09:50 am »
sweet, thanks.... now off to hunt this #$%* down... thanks again!!!