Author Topic: Powdercoat Headers?  (Read 3611 times)

CU2151

Powdercoat Headers?
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:01:42 am »
I've been looking at buying some home powdercoating supplies and noticed they sell high temp powders.  The example pics they have are all headers and I was wondering if anyone has tried this.  My bike now has painted headers from years back and they have faded so much and I was thinking this would probably hold up much better.  What are your opinions on this?

Pics and info here: http://www.powderbuythepound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=46_86&products_id=500

As a side note, I just moved into a place with a garage for the first time.  This means I finally get to do a proper rebuild and customize my bike the way I want it!  More to come soon....

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
Re: Powdercoat Headers?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »
just FYI, usually, the higher operating temps you desire, the higher and/or longer you must cure the powder at.  do you have an adequate sized garage?  i have my own gun, and it does a good job given you prep the surface really well and have a good way of applying the powder and curing it without touching it as the powder is only held on the part with static cling which is a very weak charge.  i tried to do a set of headers with my propane heater, but it's too hard to keep the temperature even throughout the part.  i have no doubt that powder would work, but to what extent your coating operation is what will dictate this.  hope this helps
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline mcuozzo

• Hot Shot
  • Bottle in front of me or frontal labotomy?
    • 77 CB750K - needs total rebuild
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »
That powder has a normal cure temp and time - 450 degrees for 20 mins, so it shouldn't be tougher to use than any other powder.  Like wbr has side prep is the key.  Plus you need an oven that's big enough for your headers. 

The only problem I see is that you want to coat used headers.  That means they need to be blasted/cleaned then preheated to get any gunk out of the metal.  No problem with the outside of the headers but how are you going to clean the inside?  I guess you could rinse them and then keep heating them until there is no more smoking.  Plus how are you going to coat the inside?  If you don't coat the inside the headers will (eventually) rust from the inside out.  The pro shops (and some hobbyists) have a wand that you can put inside the headers to coat the inside as well.

Home powder coating is great.  It's just a slippery slope.  The gun, the powders, the oven, the tape, the chemicals, a sandblaster - it really adds up, but you can get good results and if you plan to powder coat a lot of parts, it'll be worth it in the long run.

That's my .02...

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:42:33 pm »
i wouldnt think the powder coating would stand up to the heat that a header produces, then i dont know a whole bunch about the properties of powdercoat.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:35:03 pm »
ceramic coat
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:03 pm »

I agree with Jerry on the ceramic coat though it might be more than you can/want to spend. Also, as far as powder coating goes I don't see the purpose of coating the insides of the pipes, especially if the bike is ridden regularly, and that might not even matter. AFAIK if the bike is ridden somewhat regularly, which dissipates gathered moisture, then the inside of the pipes shouldn't be an issue. But that's pretty much empirical observation...your results may differ.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Of course there's a good chance that you'll get replies from people that know way more than I do.  ::)

'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:04:48 am »
i had the longtube headers on the mustang ceramic coated when i got them, it cost 275 dollars for both headers and the x-pipe. i've emailed the Jet Hot folks to get an estimate on doing the 1750 degree coating on the kerker on my k4 750
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:16 am »
well if you get the coating done, then one company out there will go as far as they can into your tubes to coat the inside.  this will help keep the heat in the pipes where it belongs.

i will whole heartedly agree with ceramic coating.  even if you don't get a polished finish, it will far out perform powder any day of the week.  a totally worthwhile investment if you ask me.  
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »
i got my estimate from Jet Hot this afternoon. with stripping the header and ceramic coating both the header and the megaphone it will be only 329 dollars something like 1750 degree heat resistance.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 03:30:42 pm »
i got my estimate from Jet Hot this afternoon. with stripping the header and ceramic coating both the header and the megaphone it will be only 329 dollars something like 1750 degree heat resistance.
Sorry about the threadjacking...

Buckykat - I've been looking to get my 350 4into4 pipes ceramic coated.  I called "The Mad Scientist" http://www.madscientistcoating.com/the-process/the-ceramic-coating-process.htmland he quoted $200 to blast and coat.  Not sure about quality or temp. range though. 

Eastwood makes a product called TLC Titanium Ceramic Coating http://www.eastwood.com/underhood-engine/exhaust-paints/tlc-titanium-ceramic-coating-4-oz.html.  Anyone tried something like this?
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 04:22:43 pm »
I had a chromed header ceramic coated on the inside. This was before they had the great looking exterior finishes we see today.
The pipe still gets hot enough that the chrome blues.  :(
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 05:00:30 pm »
i might actually get the kerker done in the silver ceramic jet-hot. i still dont care for the way the exhaust looks but with the mods i did on the baffle and the removal of the fiberglass packing, it sounds pretty good, and i cant complain about the way it runs that for sure.