Author Topic: Will brake fluid soften intake rubbers? and an Intake clamp question  (Read 782 times)

Offline judder

Has anybody ever tried this? My #1 cylinder intake leaks and I was thinking of trying it. My dad says brake fluid loves rubber and keeps it soft.

Where can I find nice intake clamps? I really don't like the hose clamp look because they don't really fit well. The stockers are not giving me a good seal.
1974 CB750 K4 cafe project bike
1990 Harley Davidson FXSTS

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Re: Will brake fluid soften intake rubbers? and an Intake clamp question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »
You know, I don't know, but I wouldn't think so. If brake fluid interacted that much and that quickly with rubber you'd probably want to use something else for your brake lines.

Wintergreen oil works pretty nicely though.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62328.0

I've done it and asides from smelling like a pack of Wrigley's (which I started to like :) ) there's no downside other than the price.

Can't point you anywhere for the clamps either except here and eBay maybe?

Offline gtyler5

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:04:02 am »
if you can find washers small enough you can put them on the stock clamps to get a little more squeeze out of them. you can also paint the clamps black, i did it on my 750K and like the look.
1976 CB750F cafe
1978 CB750F (in progress)
1993 CB750 Nighthawk

Offline judder

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:55:31 am »
ya I painted mine black as well. I will try the washers. I think Carpy at one point had some clamps he was selling but I couldn't find them on his site.

I don't really want to buy 4 new rubber intakes because one is leaking, but I'm sure new intakes will be a lot easier to work with.

thanks
1974 CB750 K4 cafe project bike
1990 Harley Davidson FXSTS