Author Topic: Just throwing it out there! TG, maybe. Altrnative race parts? possibilities?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
I was reading an article the other day about the Benelli 6 and as we all know it's pretty much a clone of our 500, plus2. What I had never noticed before was the charging system location to make the motor not seem so wide. Besides that, from an alternative race parts point of view, I was wondering what (Italian)aftermarket stuff there was for it that could maybe be shared. Can a cam be cut down to work??? better clutch, maybe. Other tranny parts? What was the rods like? Did it maybe have better tensioners?? Plus beautiful wheels and brakes and those gorgeous pipes, or  the three 2bbl 29mm dellorto carbs

Parts for thought!! As I said just throwing it out there!!!!!!!

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/1975/Benelli/1975-Benelli-Sei-750.aspx

And don't forget the probability of upgraded parts and bore increase to 900cc.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/beneli/benelli_900_sei%2078.htm

HB
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:54:34 pm by HB-1fan »
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
Let,s see who has some pics and or specs from the inside!!

HB
"If you always expect the worst, you can never be dissappointed, only surprised"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
This wont help, but I gotta mention it..

Got a mag with a Benelli (I think) 250-4, they had pics of the engine apart.. :o Just unbelievably cool parts in there, I think the rods, were smaller than a dollar bill, but nicely made.. cool stuff
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
Well...The benelli's (and guzzi's) six and four cylinders are considered a shame for the italian motorcicle building tradition (except maybe the six cylinders). As you sad they are a copy of the honda sohc but poorly built. They save a lot on materials and assembly quality, and the results were slow bikes that broke down easily. They used honda spare parts when a benelli or a guzzi broke something...so I don't suggest use benelli's pieces on a sohc  ;D

Offline voxonda

• Master
I never rally understood how these great brands could go so wrong in their approach... Their whole concept of copying the Honda's went wrong and cost them dearly. Even that beautiful first Benelli six was doomed with that crazy cam and crank, almost everything failed but what a MARVELLOUS SOUND!! ;D
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
I never rally understood how these great brands could go so wrong in their approach... Their whole concept of copying the Honda's went wrong and cost them dearly. Even that beautiful first Benelli six was doomed with that crazy cam and crank, almost everything failed but what a MARVELLOUS SOUND!! ;D

We have to thank mister De Tomaso...

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer

We have to thank mister De Tomaso...

The history books and mags here are full of stories about how awful the days of De Tomaso ownership where. he was there to make a quick buck and he did so much harm to the Italian motorcycle industry, but then again, maybe without him those brands wouldn't exist today.

the six was such a failure that i dont think anybody ever thought of hot rodding them here, so forget about those hot cams....

the cycle parts where all common guzzi/italian stuff, so nothing exotic either.

sorry to spoil your dream about cool sohc parts!

Offline Yoshi823

• Biker to the bone.
  • Enthusiast
  • Never too old to be a biker
Not even much in the way of photos available either...

Notice the way that the bike sits on its centre stand in this picture...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:07:38 am by Yoshi823 »
Bikes...they're in the blood.

Yamaha 2001 R1
Yamaha 1990 FZR1000R EXUP
KTM 2004 450 EXC RFS
Honda 1997 XR400R
Honda 1988 CB125T2

http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=3&id=67

Offline Yoshi823

• Biker to the bone.
  • Enthusiast
  • Never too old to be a biker
And this is the 500/4 model...
Bikes...they're in the blood.

Yamaha 2001 R1
Yamaha 1990 FZR1000R EXUP
KTM 2004 450 EXC RFS
Honda 1997 XR400R
Honda 1988 CB125T2

http://www.cb750cafe.com/bikes.php?cat=3&id=67

Offline HB-1fan

• Enthusiast
So it sounds like the rumors are true. What about salvaging exterior parts like pipes and wheels. The early wheels look like aluminum in the pics, with nice brakes no less. I think the specs said they were 18" front and rear. Surely at least 4 of the six pipes would bolt up. Just hate to see good parts going to scrap with the unreliable innards.  The reviews said it was a very good handling bike! 

HB

Offline bikebitzofvt

• Enthusiast
So it sounds like the rumors are true. What about salvaging exterior parts like pipes and wheels. The early wheels look like aluminum in the pics, with nice brakes no less. I think the specs said they were 18" front and rear. Surely at least 4 of the six pipes would bolt up. Just hate to see good parts going to scrap with the unreliable innards.  The reviews said it was a very good handling bike! 

HB

Their pipes were notorious for rotting out.  Way back in the day I ended up scrapping a 75 or 76 750 sei that was given to me by my math teacher after searching for an exhaust for over a year!  He'd looked for one for several years before that, too. 

I like your train of thought, however, there should be plenty of donors to our quest for speed!
"If it ain't broke you aren't riding it hard enough!"

77 CB750K7, 77 KZ1000B

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
i pretty much do the rounds of italian autojumbles and cant recall seeing many "Sei" for sale or for parts.

The rims are common borranis, the front hub on these things (as well as in all spoke wheel guzzis) are pretty heavy. bought one thinking to use it in my racer but it didnt convince me.

the only item that is worth something are the cast iron discs with ally carriers as well as the big brembos calipers but these are the same as in my LM III ans were used on 70's ducs, laverdas, etc.

the pipes might be interesting but i did a quick check in ebay italy and there were almost no parts for "Sei".

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
My brother was a benelli dealer when the 6 cyl came out. He had to sell so many small bikes just to get one that there was no way he could get even a decent size street bike. Quotas meant he could only sell the small bikes.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.