Author Topic: Question about respoking a wheel...  (Read 1524 times)

Offline sbparks

• Enthusiast
    • My Hobby...
Question about respoking a wheel...
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:33:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'm at the point where I need to decide what to do with my grundjy loooking wheels.

I just read the post "You too can respoke your wheels": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=19575.0 So, I have some confidence that I will be able to perform this operation.

I never imagined I would tear this thing down to this level, but if I want to get those hubs cleaned properly, I think I'll have to do it.

Here's my question... Does the tire need to be removed from the rim to properly respoke the wheel?  The photos in the link above show the tire off the rim, but is it necessary?

I see replacement spokes at Parts-n-More... I may do just that, but I'll see what shape mine are in before ordering new ones.  Are these decent replacement spoke if I need them?

Also, Where does one obtain a Spoke Wrench?  Dennis Kirk?  Any other tools I'll need?

Thanks for the helping hands (words)!

Scott

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Question about respoking a wheel...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:16 pm »
Hi Folks,

I'm at the point where I need to decide what to do with my grundjy loooking wheels.

I just read the post "You too can respoke your wheels": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=19575.0 So, I have some confidence that I will be able to perform this operation.

I never imagined I would tear this thing down to this level, but if I want to get those hubs cleaned properly, I think I'll have to do it.

Here's my question... Does the tire need to be removed from the rim to properly respoke the wheel?  The photos in the link above show the tire off the rim, but is it necessary?

I see replacement spokes at Parts-n-More... I may do just that, but I'll see what shape mine are in before ordering new ones.  Are these decent replacement spoke if I need them?

Also, Where does one obtain a Spoke Wrench?  Dennis Kirk?  Any other tools I'll need?

Thanks for the helping hands (words)!

Scott
Yup tire comes off. The spoke nipples come in from the tire side. You'll want to clean the rim under the tire anyways. Spoke wrenches are wherever (moslty) tools are sold, bicycle shops too. Probably not a t hardware or Lowes. Your spoke supplier probably has them.  Or just use a 3" crescent wrench.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."