Author Topic: Italian Race Update  (Read 3743 times)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Italian Race Update
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »
Back on the track at last....

Being away from home for three months this winter meant that I haven't been able to do much development work at all, so engine was closed back with just new Ti valve collars from Bwaller. After installing new pistons last year, the engine still smoked, so my best guess was that the lack of oiling holes in the skirt caused that, drilled some new ones and put new valve seals just to make sure. Some last minutes hiccups like a stripped plug thread two weeks before the race were solved, off we set.

Nice weather (last year it was pouring), I have a new front tire and new brake pads to scrub in as well as give the bike a first shake up. First free session, motor seems fine, doesn't smoke anymore, even the slight pinging it had before has stopped (oil in the chamber will lower your octane I hear), good to know that the last rebore was successful. Main problem now is the rider! Since last year it was soaking wet, I don't really remember my lines and there are quite a few tricky corners. My two boots are also oily, there are leaks, some stuff to sort out.

The external oil feed to the cam is leaking form both right and left sides and further check shows I forgot to tighten down two spark plugs. Naughty me.
Clean bike, pass tech check then have a quick chat with Dario Tosolini, a young guy who had a bright future in World superbike till a bad crash put him in coma for ten days and ended his career in 2002, He won a world 1000 superstock round in monza earlier that year and was slotted for a works ride. He plays now with classics and has the luxury of being fully sponsored on a 60K$ Paton 500... He gives me a few tips for the last corner that sort out my entry to the main straight.

First timed qualifying and it works, I am faster by two seconds than I've ever been here, but the oil feed still leaks on one side and I pull in. New copper washers for the banjo feed, all looks OK. Second qualifying session, in late afternoon it's usually hard to improve on the cool morning times, but I go faster still by another 1.5 secs even if through the session  i notice that while fixing the oil line,  i left one fairing screw off and its dangling now... I try to keep my concentration up, but who knows, could have been a bit faster still if I didn't have to pull in to have this fixed.

Before race day, there's a night and what a night! After a really clear and warm day, there's a big storm, tons of water pour down and i cant but feel sorry for the guys in tents in the paddock, luckily we are in a hotel room. Come race day, track is soaking wet and by 11:00 AM, although drier, somebody's motor has exploded in a prior race and track is full of white filler powder in some very important spots. during the warm up lap it look quite scary, the track is almost unsafe, water and oil don't mix well.

My shaky plans go to hell at the start when while accelerating and pulling my legs up on the pegs, I get a huge CRAMP in my upper thigh, have to make the first corner with my right leg dangling and I exit the corner in last place.... Lap times are bad for everybody and I manage to reel quite a few in but have some hairy moments on the white filler. I am not the only one, there are quite a few crashes too and i end up in 4th position in the 4-str. 500 class. Strange race, lap times were slower by a good 5 secs due to conditions, save for one guy: Damiani, the champion who is now running a 500 Paton in our class too. He laps most of the field, 1100cc open classers included, riding as if the filler just wasn't there. Nuts, in the good sense of the word and he's not a kid.

Not a bad start of season for me but i feel a bit disappointed that our class has shrunk quite a bit during the two last years. I think that in 2007 we had almost twice the people that we have now. Some have moved to the new 1100cc open class superbikes but quite a few have simple left, my guess is due to the economy.

Next race is May 9 in Maggione, Perugia.  

TG
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:48:30 pm by turboguzzi »

Offline Bamboozler

• Enthusiast
Re: Italian Race Update
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:56:48 pm »
Congrats on a solid finish in your first race!  Enjoyed reading the recap of the event, good detail that recreates the event well.  Look forward to any pics you can dig up for this event and any of your future races. Good luck in Perugia!

Edited to add: Just found the pics in your other thread. ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:01:21 pm by Bamboozler »
'78 CB750F Turbo, 101 rwhp @ 8 PSI (Project thread)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
'78 CB750F basket case crying for a resto
'78 XL250S
'78 Suk GS750E
Digital Ignition project (Project thread)

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:25:40 pm »
Good on yer TG, i hope my 1st race of the season is as good as you have had !!!!  (oops sorry 2nd race forgot about Phillip Island) Yes i'm off to meet Howell and his son at Spa in 2 weeks time, never been before so should be a good craic !!!!!
Will let you know how i get on
Col

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:54:09 pm »
Good result TG and that in the first race of the season.
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline Howell

• Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:59:57 pm »
Good on yer TG, i hope my 1st race of the season is as good as you have had !!!!  (oops sorry 2nd race forgot about Phillip Island) Yes i'm off to meet Howell and his son at Spa in 2 weeks time, never been before so should be a good craic !!!!!
Will let you know how i get on
Col

Hi Colin,

Yes ,Team Howell is in Spa together with Gerard van den Brom.
Gert Boon no.48 is not coming.
Now we have four Honda CB500F's in the dutch classic championship.

Frank Lemstra
Ernst Hagen
Gerard van den Brom
My son Yrjo.

Gerrit Lether is prepairing your cylinderhead and that of your friend , maybe he comes with us to Spa.
See you there.

gr.René

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:04:37 pm by Howell »

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »
I think we should all have a ride down to Italia,and have a go in their Classic Racing, i for one would love to go.
I will be getting some details off TG on how to enter,
What do you think ???
Col

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »
Damiani, the champion who is now running a 500 Paton in our class too. He laps most of the field, 1100cc open classers included, riding as if the filler just wasn't there. Nuts, in the good sense of the word and he's not a kid.
Hey TG - those green Patons look very cute and sound good too - why don't you invest in one of them?  ;)
Godo result despite the weather and you're in one piece for the next battle in Perugia, THAT is the main thing  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:14:38 pm »
TG will they let my bike in your races with 4 open meggas, what is the noise situation like ???
Col

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:19:31 pm »
Yes good result TG. Maybe you should get a massage just before the start of the next round.  ;D 

You guys missed a good MotoGP opener.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:04:56 pm »
Yes good result TG. Maybe you should get a massage just before the start of the next round.  ;D 

You guys missed a good MotoGP opener.

No, no, no miss, it was at 10:00 PM italy time, we saw it while back home already...  :)

TG will they let my bike in your races with 4 open meggas, what is the noise situation like ???
Col

Col, megas will not be a problem, no noise measuring here (so far).

Lea Gourlay and John Cronshaw came to race in Italy, maybe ask them what did they had to do to race here if you can contact them,

if not I'll ask people round here. from my knowledge, a EU country race license + a no objection letter form your national org should be enough

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:18:34 pm »
Damiani, the champion who is now running a 500 Paton in our class too. He laps most of the field, 1100cc open classers included, riding as if the filler just wasn't there. Nuts, in the good sense of the word and he's not a kid.
Hey TG - those green Patons look very cute and sound good too - why don't you invest in one of them?  ;)
Godo result despite the weather and you're in one piece for the next battle in Perugia, THAT is the main thing  ;D

Patoni, the son, must be making good living out of these, he doesnt need my "sponsorship"  ;)  then there's the usual paid maintenance work, owners arent really willing to tear into those motors.... but thye hold well (I am told).

In the 500 GP class, Dario had a pretty bad race due to fading Menani front drum brakes, he went from second place to fourth at the end just because of that,  Patoni was quite pissed. On the other hand, another Paton won, so it seems like its just hard for them to get consistent performance out of those drum brakes, even with expert care.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:20:28 pm by turboguzzi »

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 02:02:34 am »
Well I guess those Menanis are a pain to set up really well. you can get them good but to get them perfect takes lots and lots of patience.

Yes I guess Roberto is doing OK - there were plenty of Patons in the isle of man last september, something special to hear them on full bore, wide open megas, caning it across the mountain  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 04:55:11 am »
Excellent report TG and really enjoyed reading about your experience. Well done on the race!

More please!

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 05:32:41 am »
More please  ??? ya'll have to wait Andy...9th May. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:08:18 am »
TG any chance of posting the race dates of your Italian Classic Races ? or is there a web site to look at ?
Col

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:32 am »
Here's the whole shebang,

http://www.federmoto.it/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=N1Sibo3lNSE%3d&tabid=54&mid=451

look for: MEETING IN PISTA PER MOTO D'EPOCA events in page 1

our races are the "gruppo 5" events

like I said, the closest to you would be the season closing event in Franciacorta near Milan october 23-24,

Offline Howell

• Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:13 pm »

http://www.federmoto.it/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=N1Sibo3lNSE%3d&tabid=54&mid=451

like I said, the closest to you would be the season closing event in Franciacorta near Milan october 23-24,

Hi TG,

I like your country very much , specially Toscane, Umbrie , I wass several times in Italy on holiday with the campingcar ,two years ago I visit the track at Mugello.
But for a weekend racing unfortunately to far away.
On our way trough your country we came on a mountain way ,the next day there would be a race.
Nice road but very dangerous with those trees.
Are these tracks normal in your country ? I know the italian bikers all think they are Rossi , but they ride like kamikazes. ;D  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:30:52 pm by Howell »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

Hi TG,

I like your country very much , specially Toscane, Umbrie , I wass several times in Italy on holiday with the campingcar ,two years ago I visit the track at Mugello.
But for a weekend racing unfortunately to far away.
On our way trough your country we came on a mountain way ,the next day there would be a race.
Nice road but very dangerous with those trees.
Are these tracks normal in your country ? I know the italian bikers all think they are Rossi , but they ride like kamikazes. ;D  

I wouldnt say "Normal" but there is still a national "hill climb" championship, only four or five rounds and it includes modern and vintage machinery.  The climbs are about 5-7km and its run against the clock. Pretty dangerous but so are the motorally races.... or the isle of man for that matter...

Regarding italian riders.... I've ridden in quite a few places around the world and have to say that the overall riding level around here is simply amazing. Maybe the best I've seen. In other areas of the alps you will find very good road riders of course, french, austrians, swiss, germans too, rode highway 1 north of San francisco with some amazingly quick people also, but as average, the level here is really high.

I know that this is going to bring out some reactions, so please guys, dont take it personally, I know you are all excellent riders too :) and grind pegs in every corner, come home with melted rubber on the edges, its just that here, sometimes you feel that EVERYBODY can do it!  

PS - little known fact, something like 80% of italy's surface are mountains and hills, it certainly helps  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:04:12 pm by turboguzzi »