Author Topic: Stripped Clyinder Head Bolt  (Read 658 times)

Offline mgilvary

• Enthusiast
Stripped Clyinder Head Bolt
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:29 am »
Installing the head on a CB550, tightening the bolts according to spec, my #14 bolt started spinning freely. This is not one of the nuts on the 12 studs, but rather the 10mm bolt in the front of the engine that threads into the cylinder block. There are two of these 10mm bolts -- one on the front and one in back.

My questions is... Does it really matter?

I could helicoil it, but I don't really want to unbolt the head again and spend the time and money on the helicoil. Does that little bolt really make a difference?

Please say no.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
Re: Stripped Clyinder Head Bolt
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 01:08:38 am »
when i had my cb750k motor out to do the top end, i heli-coiled all of the 6x1mm holes because of their tendency to strip. there were 3 that had stripped out and i didnt want to get the whole damn thing back together just to have another one go. go ahead and heli-coil all the holes the size of what you stripped out. you'll be glad you did.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894