put up with em
speed up and put em in the dust
let em pass and then flip em off
throw things
yell things
add high tech or low tech gadjets on yer bike to do battle with them
slow down to the point they finally pass you
let em pass and then tailgate THEM!

Author Topic: TAILGATERS  (Read 19567 times)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: TAILGATERS
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2006, 03:15:20 am »
armco

Terry, need translation, what's this?
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Jim Shea

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2006, 04:07:12 am »
Bob,
Armco is the metal barriers to stop vehicles crossing over the middle divide on motorways and obviously roads in Oz. It is also used at all major motor racing circuits, i think it is called Armco in the US, but not sure?
Terry,
I don't think I have heard the joke..

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2006, 04:10:50 am »
i think it is called Armco in the US, but not sure?

Could be, but I never heard the term, usually just call them guardrails. Many of which have now become substantial concrete barriers separating apposing lanes unless there is some min. distance of median. Lots of $$ and inconvenience to install, but the presumption seems to be it saves lives.

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2006, 08:24:36 am »
in SC

the DMV has actually installed cables. yeah thats right! CABLES!

three 1in heavy duty cables that are mounted on steel posts that are driven into the ground.

all along the interstate hwys. where 80 mph is considered keeping up with traffic.

I'm not looking forward to seeing the first cycle accident that involves these cables.

the immage is way too painfull to think of.
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2006, 08:27:46 am »

What is the purpose? Some sort of timing device, traffic counting??  ???

eldar

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2006, 08:35:03 am »
On interstate roads? I dont see how it would work at all for anything. Counting will be off and it will not work well for speed I dont thing. gee maybe it is to cause cycles to crash.

Offline Egil

• Hot Shot
SV: Re: TAILGATERS
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2006, 08:45:07 am »
in SC
three 1in heavy duty cables that are mounted on steel posts that are driven into the ground.
all along the interstate hwys. where 80 mph is considered keeping up with traffic.
I'm not looking forward to seeing the first cycle accident that involves these cables.
Also in Norway to on searten places on Europa road-18.
 The effect is just like slid(cut) egg ???
73 de La2vpa.
Egil.

On The Edge.....That`s Where We Live Every Day.
My bike :
http://bike.no/member/photo.php?id=1605

Jim Shea

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2006, 09:44:05 am »
I have seen these cables being tested on a tv prog, they do seem to work(for cars) and supposedly are cheaper and quicker to repair?

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2006, 11:12:03 am »
I have seen these cables being tested on a tv prog, they do seem to work(for cars) and supposedly are cheaper and quicker to repair?

OK, now I think I get it (slow today  :D), these are strung along side the road?? I thought you meant lying on the pavement, across the road like those traffic survey cables you see. If so, I thought these were going the way of the dodo bird? The posts represent a serious hazard I would think, not to mention possible decapitation by the cables.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 11:39:45 am by Bob Wessner »

Offline DiscoEd

• Hot Shot
  • Keeping it surreal!
    • My personal gallery is at:
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2006, 05:52:24 pm »
in SC

I noticed these last night as I was driving along a NY state highway. I too wondered if they are there to decapitate, sever and mutilate. Perhaps, there is the slim chance that the cables are there to trip up the deer as they are bounding into your path.

In the US, maybe we should petition our senators and congress(people) to consider the harm that these cables could do and to replace them with something better.

Regards,
DiscoEd

1975 CB550 K1
1976 CB550
1974 CB360
2003 Suzuki Volusia Intruder

My personal gallery is at:
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=1954

Gibson

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2006, 05:57:20 pm »
I'd be bothering the right people at suppertime if we had those here in Canada. What do they call them slice n dice?

Offline DiscoEd

• Hot Shot
  • Keeping it surreal!
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2006, 07:12:37 pm »
What do they call them slice n dice?

The Axis of Evil! :o
1975 CB550 K1
1976 CB550
1974 CB360

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2006, 09:25:03 pm »
Over here we all 'em "Cheese Graters", but wiley ol' Egil was probably closer to the mark when he called 'em "EGG Slicers", ha ha! ;D

Nah, they're not mounted on steel posts at all, they're run through collapsible plastic posts, and are supposed to be more "car friendly", as they "catch" the car like a net, so if you fall asleep (like Bob often does while "watching his stories" ;D) and veer off the highway, instead of bouncing off the concrete barrier or "Armco" railing, back into traffic and causing a multiple fatality, you run into the "Egg Slicer" and as the plastic fence posts collapse, the three cables support the car, and aid it to slow down to a gradual halt, without rolling, end for ending, flipping, or being thrown back into the middle of the highway like a suicidal kangaroo.

Motorcycle action groups have been protesting against the use of this stuff for many years, but as Motorcycle riders only represent a tiny proportion of voters, their concerns have been ignored. What does this stuff do to riders? I've no idea, but I picked up one of the collapsible plastic posts after a car tore this stuff up on the Hume highway and I had to stop for a peek, and I'd suggest that I wouldn't like Eldy bashing me over the head with it, it was pretty solid, so an unprotected rider would definitely come off second best! Cheers, Terry. ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 02:57:30 am by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Jim Shea

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2006, 12:12:53 am »
Terry,
Was the plastic post harder than concrete?  ;)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2006, 02:21:43 am »
(like Bob often does while "watching his stories" )

Zzzzzz  :D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2006, 03:03:22 am »
Terry,

Hard to tell Jimmy, I certainly wouldn't like to be impaled on one, but the biggest concern by the MRA (Motorcycle Riders Association) rep at a BMW meeting I attended 10 years ago was more concerned about Motorcyclists having various parts of their anatomy sawn off by the cables.............. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline DiscoEd

• Hot Shot
  • Keeping it surreal!
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2006, 05:18:49 am »
Terry,

Hard to tell Jimmy, I certainly wouldn't like to be impaled on one, but the biggest concern by the MRA (Motorcycle Riders Association) rep at a BMW meeting I attended 10 years ago was more concerned about Motorcyclists having various parts of their anatomy sawn off by the cables.............. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Hmmmm...what kind of sick twisted engineer designs something for safety that both saws off your limbs and impales you with a hollow plastic tube?

Fortunately the cables along the roads in NY state are supported by metal posts. That way when the medics come there should still be some blood left in the poor soul's body.

Regards,
DiscoEd
1975 CB550 K1
1976 CB550
1974 CB360

eldar

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2006, 07:42:08 am »
Dont worry, I wouldn't beat you over the head with one. But you did say it was a tube.........................Hmmm??? A tube can be inserted.... Put a hole in your seat pan and you would not fall off then terry! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2006, 03:26:30 pm »
Dont worry, I wouldn't beat you over the head with one. But you did say it was a tube.........................Hmmm??? A tube can be inserted.... Put a hole in your seat pan and you would not fall off then terry! ;D

Nah Eldy, I didn't say it was a hollow tube, Ed did. It's a solid plastic post, looks like steel I suppose, but it's not, has holes through it so the cable can pass thru, but when hit, the plastic posts just break away leaving the cable to support the car as it slows down.

I'm not sure it'd be that kind to the bike, and the last thing I'd want to do in that case is actually stay on the bike, so as interesting as your suggested mod sounds, I think I'll pass. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline DiscoEd

• Hot Shot
  • Keeping it surreal!
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2006, 04:11:52 pm »
Nah Eldy, I didn't say it was a hollow tube, Ed did. It's a solid plastic post, looks like steel I suppose, but it's not

I guess I read something into your post that was not there! Thank goodness! Now these safety devices only seem half as evil as they initially sounded.

-DiscoEd
1975 CB550 K1
1976 CB550
1974 CB360

Gibson

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2006, 06:52:09 pm »
Is their enough space between the bottom cable and ground so that if you knew you wer headed for it you could lay it down and slide under?

Offline DiscoEd

• Hot Shot
  • Keeping it surreal!
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2006, 07:41:45 pm »
Is their enough space between the bottom cable and ground so that if you knew you wer headed for it you could lay it down and slide under?

Only in the movies! :'(

-DiscoEd
1975 CB550 K1
1976 CB550
1974 CB360

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2006, 03:59:31 am »
That's right. Even though you seem to remember every detail like it's happening in slow motion, in truth it happens so fast you really can't do all that much.

Better to spend your time trying to tuck your arms and legs in and get your chin on your chest, and hope you roll into something nice and soft! ;D

Gibson

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2006, 07:11:55 pm »
I've never even seen these and they bother me.

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2006, 09:40:19 am »
here take a look...

Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom