Author Topic: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: a 10% discount thru 4/26/24! :)  (Read 154858 times)

Offline TwoBigCats

• Hobbyist beekeeper
  • Enthusiast
    • TwoBigCats
Re: My CB750 book, by Hondaman
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »
hondaman,

i'm new here to sohc forums, but a 40+ year honda owner and have a k6 in my collection. i'm excited about your book - congrats to you for completing it!  i'm ordering your new book but am curious how you believe it compares to the john wyatt / restoration guidebook (that i've only read about)?

thx in advance for your feedback.
hal
GL1800 | 750 K6 | '69 CB/CL 160 | '70 CT 70

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 08:42:43 pm »
hondaman,

i'm new here to sohc forums, but a 40+ year honda owner and have a k6 in my collection. i'm excited about your book - congrats to you for completing it!  i'm ordering your new book but am curious how you believe it compares to the john wyatt / restoration guidebook (that i've only read about)?

hal

I honestly don't know: maybe I should get one.  8)
Do you know how I could find it?
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:04 pm »
hondaman,

hal

I have the Wyatt book, I understand it brings a good price these days. It is beautiful, full of full color pictures, hard cover, and I'll say again, beautiful, pictures and data. But it is hardly anything like HondaMan's (I assume). THe Wyatt book is all exterior with a few exceptions. Like what the footpegs were like on this model vs the next model etc. Tons of stuff like that but hardly a guide to actually doing anything. Which I think HMs book will be.  AS a "restorers guide" it will tell you what goes on a correct K2 for example, and what changes are made sequentially from model to model.

IF it is available anywhere I'd try Amazon.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 08:00:11 am »
hondaman,

hal

I have the Wyatt book, I understand it brings a good price these days. It is beautiful, full of full color pictures, hard cover, and I'll say again, beautiful, pictures and data. But it is hardly anything like HondaMan's (I assume). THe Wyatt book is all exterior with a few exceptions. Like what the footpegs were like on this model vs the next model etc. Tons of stuff like that but hardly a guide to actually doing anything. Which I think HMs book will be.  AS a "restorers guide" it will tell you what goes on a correct K2 for example, and what changes are made sequentially from model to model.

IF it is available anywhere I'd try Amazon.

Thanks, MC: I'd like to find one of those. Does it have an ISBN number on the back?
That is quite different from mine.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline TwoBigCats

• Hobbyist beekeeper
  • Enthusiast
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 08:30:05 am »
guys,

thx for the comments on the books.  yesterday i ordered the restoration book via amazon - $225, YIKES (they're out of print)!  looking forward to having *both* of them on my shelf :)

hal
hondaman, if you search the name of the book on amazon, you'll see the details and perhaps they'll have the detailed info you're looking for.

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Re: My CB750 book, by Hondaman: Lulu order has February discounts!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 01:15:38 pm »
The Wyatt book goes for £75 - £100 on eBay over here (UK)
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:05 pm »
There has been at least 1 thread featuring some controversial positions in this book. One of which Wyatt says the original "sandcast" were not sandcast at all but gravity die cast, that due to rough finish were mistaken for sand cast. Others here with top notch credentials claim he is wrong and that Honda did in fact use sand casting.

Controversies not withstanding it is a beautiful and informative book.

I'm sure there are other controversies as well. Such is the allure and intrigue of the CB750.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:20 pm »
My copy of the Wyatt book (shown below) lists the ISBN as: 1-901432-13-0

Published 1998 by Bay View Books Ltd
The Red House, 25-26 Bridgeland Street
Bideford, Devon EX39 2PZ, UK

Boy, I haven't seen one of those "1968" K0 bikes in a LONG time. They had thinner fork tubes and the springs sacked so early that they had the nose-down stance you see on that cover shot, after about 6 months. That particular one appears to have been made more noticeable by the addition of the 13.06" long rear shocks, too: the early sandcast bikes had shorter shocks (as outlined in the Suspension chapter.  ;) ).

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 07:05:46 pm »
Paypal sent! Please include the 68 info as well ;D  Thanks
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:28 pm »
Paypal sent! Please include the 68 info as well ;D  Thanks

It's covered in the "Suspension" section.  ;)

Offline TwoBigCats

• Hobbyist beekeeper
  • Enthusiast
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 05:17:19 pm »
what a 750 day around my house:

i received the "restoration" book today... a nice coffee table book (not unlike the coffee table book for my nsx) with a few drive-by repair / "restoration" instructions.

i placed my order for hondaman's book today, too... i'm looking forward to its arrival.  hondaman, does the hard cover version have a different stock / finish paper than the paperback version?

hal

Offline blake255

• Look Out! I'm about to crank this thing!
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 02:32:40 pm »
I received my copy of My CB750 Book today.  My first impression is "Holy Crap!"  The thing I like the most is the pictures.  Lots and Lots of pictures.  I did a little reading in the "Performance A" section which detailed the airbox mods that I found on my K2.  So my view is that the Honda manual is "How it was" and Honda Man's manual is "How it REALY WAS, and how it SHOULD be."  I really look forward to absorbing this book one page at a time.

THANKS MARK!

Blake
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:47:40 pm by blake255 »
1970 CB750 K0 Project 1
1969 CB750 Sandcast Project 2
1969 CB750 Sandcast Project 3
2009 Yamaha YZF R6

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »
Recieved mine tonite also. Thanks. Hope I dont mash my thumb as bad as you did in chapter 1a ;D This looks like good reading as well.
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline paddy paul

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:52 pm »
Hondaman, you have to do a Colorado book signing, With the members here in CO, and the surrounding states, UT,NM WY,NE,KS we could have  A huge SOHC party... what do you think, you reserve the rooms at the Brown Palace and we will all gladly buy a copy of your book ;D ;D ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 10:02:49 pm »
Hondaman, you have to do a Colorado book signing, With the members here in CO, and the surrounding states, UT,NM WY,NE,KS we could have  A huge SOHC party... what do you think, you reserve the rooms at the Brown Palace and we will all gladly buy a copy of your book ;D ;D ;D

Maybe we could get a turntable for spinning a restored CB750K0 in the lobby, with dancing girls? Except, then I couldn't come, my wife might object...but, maybe we could invite Kit and Motobunny and the other SOHC4 girls? Now, THAT would be cool!  8) :D

I could maybe afford to meet at Wendy's, in Lakewood near my house! They make good iced tea there, suitable for soaking sore thumbs. ;D

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 06:30:39 am »
PayPal order placed Mark...anxiously awaiting the read!!!
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:58 am »

Maybe we could get a turntable for spinning a restored CB750K0 in the lobby, with dancing girls? Except, then I couldn't come, my wife might object...but, maybe we could invite Kit and Motobunny and the other SOHC4 girls? Now, THAT would be cool!  8) :D

I could maybe afford to meet at Wendy's, in Lakewood near my house! They make good iced tea there, suitable for soaking sore thumbs. ;D

Rusted Nuts Thursday night one month perhaps? I need a better excuse to go other than just drinking with Gordon and Heffay   ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 09:30:09 am »
Got my book.... er um, HondaMan's book.  All I got to say is DANG!  

I'm overwhelmed.  It will take me a good long time to absorb it all.  The book is so much more "voluminous" for lack of a better word (than I expected).  It's not like any technical text I've ever seen.  The richness and depth of experience used to assemble this book is obvious and incredible.  The part that's hard to articulate is that there's a great passion built in that is contagious (beware!).  

Every time I set the book down, I find that I'm picking it up again to find more "nuggets".  

Congratulations HondaMan.  This exceeds my expectations by a wide margin (I had understandably high expectations).  

K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 10:30:38 am »
Got my book.... er um, HondaMan's book.  All I got to say is DANG!  

I'm overwhelmed.  It will take me a good long time to absorb it all.  The book is so much more "voluminous" for lack of a better word (than I expected).  It's not like any technical text I've ever seen.  The richness and depth of experience used to assemble this book is obvious and incredible.  The part that's hard to articulate is that there's a great passion built in that is contagious (beware!).  

Every time I set the book down, I find that I'm picking it up again to find more "nuggets".  

Congratulations HondaMan.  This exceeds my expectations by a wide margin (I had understandably high expectations).  

I got mine yesterday too. Wasn't going to open it as I'm feeling a bit poorly. But with all the hub-bub I had to open it and ...yeah...what he said!
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Honda George

• Been riding for 44 years
I just received my book yesterday. I have two 750's to overhaul and where I was reluctant to do so before, after reading your book, I feel as if I can do it. I started riding 750's since 1973 but because they are so dependable, I never had to overhaul one until now. In fact, my first 750 (which I still have) was brair brown K2 like the one you had. I want to congratulate you on the book and thank you so much for the helpfulness it will give. Honda George
Honda George
1973 CB750 K-2, 1985 Honda Shadow VT1100C,

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
I just received my book yesterday. I have two 750's to overhaul and where I was reluctant to do so before, after reading your book, I feel as if I can do it. I started riding 750's since 1973 but because they are so dependable, I never had to overhaul one until now. In fact, my first 750 (which I still have) was brair brown K2 like the one you had. I want to congratulate you on the book and thank you so much for the helpfulness it will give. Honda George

Thanks, HG!  :D
You should be able to go through one step-by-step with that book, even if you've never been in one before. Is your K2 still brown?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...

You should be able to go through one step-by-step with that book, even if you've never been in one before. Is your K2 still brown?
IIRC, the brown would fade worse than the red, but it sure was pretty, IMO.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline TwoBigCats

• Hobbyist beekeeper
  • Enthusiast
    • TwoBigCats
received the hondaman / my cb750 book yesterday and all i can say is "wow". just "wow".

(ok, i can say a **little* more...)

it's a must-have for any committed 750 owner.

mark, thanks and congrats on producing such a fine body of work. i'm ordering the hardback version today for educational reading and the soft cover i received yesterday will go in the garage for hands-on guidance.

best,
hal

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...

IIRC, the brown would fade worse than the red, but it sure was pretty, IMO.

Yeah, like in one season! Mine was tan on top in 2 years.  :(

Offline Honda George

• Been riding for 44 years
It is still brown but not the original color. I did some modification to the bike but I now want to return it to stock form. Finding a painter will be the biggest problem.
Honda George
1973 CB750 K-2, 1985 Honda Shadow VT1100C,