Author Topic: Looking for Kaz Yoshima CB400f info  (Read 9286 times)

Offline Surly

• www.surlycamera.com
    • www.surlycamera.com
Looking for Kaz Yoshima CB400f info
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:51:17 am »
I just picked up a ratty 400. Pics and story here:http://surlycamera.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-rolling-stock.html
I was going to make it a cafe racer but I'm more into the look of the early 70's club racers and early Superbikes. I'm using the Kaz Yoshima bike as my main inspiration but I would like to have a little more info. Are there any color pics of that bike? What color was it? From the black and white pics I've seen, I'm guessing yellow or white. Scans here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dclarson/2677323228/in/set-72157603853318626/ (Not my flickr page). Of course, it'll be years before I can finish this thing but a guy can dream right?
I'm sure that's a Laverda SFC seat. I'm curious about the double disc setup...550? Mag wheel in the rear. I've exhausted Google. I've searched here as well.

Anyone? Somebody has got to have a color pic of that, right?
Captain America never wore a helmet,
he had a mask and a kick butt shield. - Dukiedook

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
Re: Looking for Kaz Yoshima CB400f info
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25:53 pm »
Here is a photo from the article in Cycle magazine June 1989. I have both articles written about Kaz and his bikes. Give me your address and I will airmail copies to you. A lot of very good pictures.

The first and most famous bike has dual disc set up... he made from CB750 calipers, 1976 CB750F caliper carriers and hand made aluminum disc carriers (centers). Also rear wheel is Morris magnesium 18" WM-5 with drilled CB500 front disc and mechanical (cable) actuated front caliper off CB200 Honda. Seat is, you guessed it...a modified Laverda replica from the REAL Ricky Racer Co.

KOS

220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline Surly

• www.surlycamera.com
    • www.surlycamera.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:40:41 pm »
PM sent, thanks.
On that Flickr page I referred to (thanks, Dan) there is a pic that says it's from a Clymer manual. It is a very nice race bike that also has an SFC seat and Yoshima decals on the forks etc... Black and red. Very 80's looking classy.
What I want to do is, build mine in the style of that original white bike but still make it my own.
It seems odd that that bike was pretty influential but there are not many other pics of it.

gvn2fly

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:41:52 am »
I don't have any color pics of that particular Yoshima bike but he had many bikes. The Clymer manual front cover is the only color pic that stands out.

I just scanned another old article from the AUgust 1976 Cycle Guide:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dclarson/4345444107/

Happy trails!
Dan

I just picked up a ratty 400. Pics and story here:http://surlycamera.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-rolling-stock.html
I was going to make it a cafe racer but I'm more into the look of the early 70's club racers and early Superbikes. I'm using the Kaz Yoshima bike as my main inspiration but I would like to have a little more info. Are there any color pics of that bike? What color was it? From the black and white pics I've seen, I'm guessing yellow or white. Scans here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dclarson/2677323228/in/set-72157603853318626/ (Not my flickr page). Of course, it'll be years before I can finish this thing but a guy can dream right?
I'm sure that's a Laverda SFC seat. I'm curious about the double disc setup...550? Mag wheel in the rear. I've exhausted Google. I've searched here as well.

Anyone? Somebody has got to have a color pic of that, right?

Offline rudi

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:24:43 am »
Hy "Cos from Northern Minnessotta" ,
If It is possibel : Could you please send me also a Copy from this Articels and Colour Photos ?
A CB 400 F Maniac from Germany.........

Offline Surly

• www.surlycamera.com
    • www.surlycamera.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:37:21 am »
Thanks, Dan.

I pulled the crash bars off her and test fit my clip-ons. I have another bike I have to do some work on but at least it's got "the look" now.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:04:53 am »
Hy "Cos from Northern Minnessotta" ,
If It is possibel : Could you please send me also a Copy from this Articels and Colour Photos ?
A CB 400 F Maniac from Germany.........

Sure....give me your address.

KOS

Offline rudi

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:17:08 am »
HY Kos, My Address: Rüdiger Lichte
                            Scheibenstrasse 3
                            29614 Soltau
                            Germany
or if you would like to send it via Mail : ruediger.lichte@ewetel.net
By the way : I own a Yoshimura Honda CB400 F (450ccm³ RSC TT F2 Camshaft, Keihin 31 mm CV Carbs from ZXR 400 , Borrani Rims and so on.....
Egli Honda 500/590 (very rare Bike only 18 Kits were build)
Egli Kawasaki Z 1000 R with 1984 former Works Endurance Engine ( Kawasaki France)

Thank you in Advance from Germany , Rudi

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:52:41 am »
FYI

Here is technical data on the Kaz Yoshima CB400F:

492cc
56mm pistons
27.5mm intake valves
standard ex valves
Carrilo rods
Keihin 29mm CR Sandcast carbs  (some times ran 31mm carbs)
13,000 RPM

kos

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:54 am »
Did the mechanical caliper on rear provide adequate braking ?

I would give it a try on the street but I am thinking on a heavier bike it may not work well...?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 02:20:03 pm »
HY Kos, My Address: Rüdiger Lichte
                            Scheibenstrasse 3
                            29614 Soltau
                            Germany
or if you would like to send it via Mail : ruediger.lichte@ewetel.net
By the way : I own a Yoshimura Honda CB400 F (450ccm³ RSC TT F2 Camshaft, Keihin 31 mm CV Carbs from ZXR 400 , Borrani Rims and so on.....
Egli Honda 500/590 (very rare Bike only 18 Kits were build)
Egli Kawasaki Z 1000 R with 1984 former Works Endurance Engine ( Kawasaki France)

Thank you in Advance from Germany , Rudi

Rudi

I sent you information yesterday.

KOS

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:21:58 pm »

I would give it a try on the street but I am thinking on a heavier bike it may not work well...?

the bike weighed 275 lbs. and you do not need much of a rear brake on a bike with two big discs on front!

KOS

Offline Surly

• www.surlycamera.com
    • www.surlycamera.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »
275 lbs.! 13000 rpm. It must have been pretty amazing to see that thing go.
Thanks

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:01 pm »
275 lbs.! 13000 rpm. It must have been pretty amazing to see that thing go.
Thanks

Yes, this bike was known to beat Kaw Z1's!

KOS

gvn2fly

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 08:34:04 pm »
There were quite a few Yoshima CB400Fs out there thrashing Z1s. They did have reliability problems though with plenty of blown engines among the serious racers. It is worth mentioning that in order to reach 13k rpm the valve springs were upgraded and contact points were replaced with electronic ignition.

Also, the mechanical rear caliper is not a requirement. There are a number of vintage options for a hydraulic rear caliper and disc setup but the mechanical setup is lightweight, reliable and works good enough when you have dual front discs.

Happy trails!

Dan Larson
1977 CB400F
1998 Ducati Monster 900
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »

the bike weighed 275 lbs. and you do not need much of a rear brake on a bike with two big discs on front!

KOS
You know Mark....I have to kinda disagree. The rear brake is excellent for scrubbing off speed AND not upsetting the suspension like grabbing the front brake. The rear is very important for setting up for a corner. My experience.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 12:47:35 pm »

KOS
You know Mark....I have to kinda disagree. The rear brake is excellent for scrubbing off speed AND not upsetting the suspension
like grabbing the front brake. The rear is very important for setting up for a corner. My experience.

Mike...your point is well taken..I suppose I should have clarified my reference to the "no need" for much of a rear brake.  I myself, use rear brake quite a bit for the reasons you mentioned.  Some riders, mostly racing riders, like Freddie Spencer three time World GP champion never used rear brake...in fact at Daytona 1980 Freddie had the rear brake pedeal removed from the Team Honda RS1000 DOHC Superbike, but when going through tech inspection, the AMA made them put it back on.

My second M3 Team rider, John Staska did not like rear brake usage at all and he was a modern racer....so it is up to the pilot's preferences..I guess.

KOS

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »

KOS
You know Mark....I have to kinda disagree. The rear brake is excellent for scrubbing off speed AND not upsetting the suspension
like grabbing the front brake. The rear is very important for setting up for a corner. My experience.

Mike...your point is well taken..I suppose I should have clarified my reference to the "no need" for much of a rear brake.  I myself, use rear brake quite a bit for the reasons you mentioned.  Some riders, mostly racing riders, like Freddie Spencer three time World GP champion never used rear brake...in fact at Daytona 1980 Freddie had the rear brake pedeal removed from the Team Honda RS1000 DOHC Superbike, but when going through tech inspection, the AMA made them put it back on.

My second M3 Team rider, John Staska did not like rear brake usage at all and he was a modern racer....so it is up to the pilot's preferences..I guess.

KOS

I remember that Mark. I think about Mick Doohan... he liked the rear brake so much he had the thumb activated rear brake installed after almost losing his R leg. You are right...rider preference.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 01:09:10 pm »

KOS

KOS

Then there are riders that just like "breaking" stuff. ;)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »
when Nicky Hayden was in the same honda Repsol Team as Daniel Pedrosa, the diffrence in rear brake size between the two bikes was notable, Nicky liked it much bigger.

Maybe part of his dirt track, backing it in style?

TG

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »
One of the cool things about having the shop at the track, you never know who will be up there. The other day, Jeff our cylinder head and phone guy went up there during his lunch break and cam back and said. Nicky Hayden was up at the there running a dirt bike on the go cart track. He was by himself, and having a hard time getting it started, so Jeff helped him.

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 06:52:33 pm »
Those cb200 cable calipers work pretty well when they are properly maintained. Infact they work better than most 750 front calipers after a couple of years...lol. I just sold a 75 CB200T that had only 1500 miles on it, they were nobody's favorite back in the day it seems but what a sweet little ride. Infact I was tearing up the parkway just before I sold it and ground the 35 year old chicken strips right off of it!
Anyway, my point was I am sure that was more than enough rear stopping power with that set up.
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 05:41:29 pm »
I used the CB200 cable caliper on the front of my tricked out Bultaco Pursang back in 1975 and it stopped well. I would claim to be the first to use discs on a dirt bike but I'm always wrong when I say that ;D