Author Topic: European special frames for Honda 750 Four  (Read 40572 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: European special frames for Honda 750 Four
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2011, 07:03:48 am »
Probably everyone has seen this article Tintop mentioned, but in case not.

http://www.curtisracingframes.com/articles/cycle-canada.html

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
  • Roll on spring - the rain gets warmer then...
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2011, 02:18:47 pm »
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread so apologies if duplicated, but nobody seems to have mentioned Tony Foale and his frames. Egli-esque with the oil in the spine tube, but arguably prettier than the Egli. I have been in touch with Tony by email and he reckons he built around 40 frames for CB750s, though mine (you knew I had a vested interest) is number TF048, so maybe he made 48 or so. At  the moment mine is a bit of a mess but serious work will start quite soon, just as soon as I have recovered from my visit to Maxton suspension to discuss fork and monoshock prices. I know quality isn't cheap, but the days of a pair of Hagons costing about 50 quid have never seemed so far away! Then again, Maxton stuff is irresistably beautiful, so I reckon the bank balance is due for a big hit.
All I have to do after that is buy wheels, discs, brakes, tyres, electrics and bodywork and it is pretty much done....

(Those of you who saw these pics some months ago may think that nothing has changed since then. You'd be right)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:50:11 pm by RupertB »
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2011, 04:06:34 pm »
Probably everyone has seen this article Tintop mentioned, but in case not.

http://www.curtisracingframes.com/articles/cycle-canada.html

Thankyou, very interesting...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2011, 12:34:55 pm »
Just a few extra pics to show the design of the Foale frame in general, and the poor state of mine in particular. The thing is sitting a bit 'nose-down' but you can see the front downtubes which are simply bolt-on to the engine at one end and the frame at the other. You can also see that there should be a sort of footrest hanger on each side, but the left hand one has been broken off, apparently by a mixture of corrosion and damage of some sort. The rest of the frame seems very sound anyway.
The yokes are as Tony Foale made them - standard Honda ones with a stub of threaded stem in each one, joined by a thin metal rod under tension. Odd, but it seems to have worked.
Finally you will see Pixie, an 8 month old Jack Russell. Hairier than many, very sweet, and as you will observe she appreciates a good frame.
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Jon

« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
The yokes are as Tony Foale made them - standard Honda ones with a stub of threaded stem in each one, joined by a thin metal rod under tension. Odd, but it seems to have worked.

Would you have any pics of this?

I like Foales work & putting together a track bike @ the moment.

Thanks
jon
Honda CB550f
Honda VFR400
Ducati 900 S2
Moto Guzzi LeMans III
BMW R90S

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2011, 03:55:20 pm »
Attached are some pics I took which show the setup a bit better - maybe not perfectly but they give the general idea. According to Tony Foale it looks much as he made them apart from the top nut which looks like a bodge. I don't think he soaked the thing in white paint either, but then it stood under a tarpaulin for about 17 years before a friend swopped some work for the bike, then sold it on to me, so history etc is rather unknown!
Let me know if there are any specific bits that you want highlighting.

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 11:27:32 am »
Carton Honda made in Belgium
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »

Whatisit?

I really want a special frame bike...

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »
Don't want to sound disrespectful but it looks a bit like a wheelbarrow! But looks amazing all the same. Possibly Ceriani forks, brembo discs and calipers, looks like the wheels off my Jota and the nut on the end of the swinging arm spindle looks identical to the one on my Guzzi Le Mans. So I'll guess Italian and mid to late 70s, possibly early 80s. I am perfectly happy to be shot down in flames as I am routinely wrong, just ask my wife...

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2012, 02:19:25 pm »

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
from what i know it's Italian and they made frames for laverda and others. wish i knew more and i couldn't find (surprisingly) any info on the satanic mechanic page.

curious... and very cool.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2012, 02:44:53 pm »
I wasn't far off - quite impressed myself there! The Laverda engined frame is incredible - probably doesn't need two people to lift the bare frame like the standard one does (almost). Have any been sold that would take a Honda SOHC motor? Make a nice garage mate for the Foale.....

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2012, 02:50:07 pm »
Speaking of which, this pic is on the restoration thread I started but it serves as an update from the earlier pictures of my frame. This is it with an unpolished version of what wil be the final tank, and the seat unit as a prototype. Trying to get it finished in the next two months...!

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2012, 10:12:08 am »
Will you be running the oil in frame?

CB 750 stressed member frame made by Moto Martin about 1975.

[img width=600 height=449]http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/cavebear16
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:14:16 am by cavebear »
1975 MotoMartin 836cc
1976 Rickman 1150cc Turbo
1977 Seeley 890cc + 1/4 stroke
3 parts bikes,1970K0 to 1978ss

Get paid to do it,it's work; pay to do it,it's a hobby

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:29 am »
Anyone know of an interesting frame for sale in the US?

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2012, 12:51:46 pm »
I think Framecrafters would make anything you want.

No first hand experience with them I'm sorry to say but they are in the U.S.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2012, 03:13:12 pm »
Re the oil in frame thing, I agonised for ages but in the end have decided against it for two reasons. One is that Tony Foale is (with hindsight) not a fan of it and reckons there were a few problems with oil surge starving the engine, the other is that my chassis sat outside in someone's garden under a tarpaulin for up to 17 years, so given that a fair bit of money has been spent on the engine I didn't want to risk wrecking it with a piece of long-dead woodlouse getting into the main bearings. However I still want to show off the monoshock so didn't want a standard oil tank in the sidepanel area. As it stands, the new tank will have a dummy side, inside which will be a separate oil tank. So all being well I will have the best of both worlds. Collecting the tank at the end of April so more pics as ever.

Offline phactory

• Motorcycle Rescue
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
Hello All,

Started my 1974 Rickman CR750 today!!!

Rickman Video

SOON to be on the road!

Cheers, Phil

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »
Frame and parts to sail few months ago for 750 Four price 3000 €

I really like that seat side cover combo!!!
Are those currently available??

Offline GEORGES

• Enthusiast
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2012, 05:08:46 am »
Yes ithink, you must ask to Georges MARTIN, after the price can various with aditionnal parts.

georges.martin11@wanadoo.fr

Offline GEORGES

• Enthusiast
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2012, 05:14:35 am »

You can say to him that it's Georges give you the link

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2012, 05:09:49 am »
Just in case I haven't bored you with my other posts elsewhere, and while work has stopped for a short while to allow ideas and funds to build up, here's the latest stage of my Foale project as it gathers a light coating of dust in the mother-in-law's garage.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2012, 06:18:21 am »
looking pretty good man

just not sure about that super straight shot silencer, would introduce a kink in it somewhere.... :)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2012, 07:27:23 am »
looking pretty good man

just not sure about that super straight shot silencer, would introduce a kink in it somewhere.... :)

+1 on the exhaust...an upswept Norton-style peashooter exhaust would look much better ;) Aside from that bike looks very very good!

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:10 pm »
Should have said about the pipes - there are actually two each side and they have some bending to be done - there is about an eighth of a milliletre clearance between the rear sprocket and the inner pipe so that will have to change, and the sidestand won't fit with things as they are - good suggestions folks, and an upsweep is coming in due course. I also have to work out whre the rearsets are going as well. So much to decide! Pic of the rear view shows the silencers - although the term 'silencer' is a relative one. They are Swarbrick pipes and have a bit of perforated metal and some wadding shoved down them to keep the noise fascists at bay. Should be a laugh!   
The only thing with the monoshock is that the pipes will look very high and wide from the back when they are clear of the swing arm, but I suppose that's just a penalty of the frame design and I'll get used to it. Come to that if I'm riding it I won't have to look at them!