Author Topic: Wrist pin offsets, why the difference, and is there any bad/good effects??  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
Hey all,

Been doing a bit of piston mods lately, and have found that the KZ pistons I have(650 and 750) are about 1mm offset.
But all the CB(550, 650, various 750s, and a set of 836cc overbores) all have 0.5mm ofset to the wrist pin.

Is there a gain with a larger or reduced offset?
Is this simply a noise reducing thing for the pistons(reducing the piston slap)??

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
Re: Wrist pin offsets, why the difference, and is there any bad/good effects??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:25:12 pm »
Hey all,

Been doing a bit of piston mods lately, and have found that the KZ pistons I have(650 and 750) are about 1mm offset.
But all the CB(550, 650, various 750s, and a set of 836cc overbores) all have 0.5mm ofset to the wrist pin.

Is there a gain with a larger or reduced offset?
Is this simply a noise reducing thing for the pistons(reducing the piston slap)??

l8r

Noise is one factor and the effect of encouraging the piston to start down the bore by having off set is an important factor. Don't want the piston trying to get the crank to go the other way...do we?

KOS

220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:26 am »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D it would only bend the rod a little. ::)

There is a power advantage having less offset to the pin.
I don't know if Mark has any 970 pistons about but if he has and measures the offset, I'm sure there will be little or none at all when compaired to a standard 736 K piston.
The YB921360/1 race kit pistons for the CB92R have little or no offset compaired to the CB92. When one considers that the complete race kit only adds 1bhp to the 15.5bhp motor, It's anyones guess how much power the difference in the offset makes.
It has been known for people to have pistons made with the offset the other way round in their search for more power. How much noise and wear this creates dose not matter as the components in race motors are changed from race to race. Look how long a top fuel drag motor lasts, 4.5 seconds?  :D :D :D
In single cylinder and multi inline motors, the offset is allways towards the inlet side other than in a motor that spins backward through a counter shaft.
Motors in a V formation have the offsets both ways for obvious reasons.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »
:) thanks for enlightening me a bit there!

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650