Author Topic: heavy duty cylinder studs  (Read 5053 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: heavy duty cylinder studs
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 08:29:01 pm »
If the threads are fatter than the the rest of the stud, they are rolled threads, much stronger than cut threads.

Is the untapped portion of the std, same size as the thread?

I would not run a cut thread stud, if the rest are rolled..asking for failure...
You know Frank at 20 or 22lbs of torque I wouldn't worry about it. I would buff the cut threads down on a fine wire wheel but failure is not a something I'd worry about IMO
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:43 pm »
I have a NOS set of RC studs. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

So, Mike............. Are those studs for sale? ;D
Sorry Terry...I'll be using them.

No worries Mike, I'll order a set of top and bottom studs from Jay. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »
What I meant was ending up with 1/2 of the threads, like when you take a 6mm case bolt (or any ROLLED thread made from same diameter rod) and try shortening it and threading with a die...

Not to mention class of fit, this app should probably be a  somewhat presision fit, less (easily obtained by cheapo die, or incomplete thread) can easily strip...
 leaks or blown headgasket..etc.. THEN you still need to replace stud... >:(
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline JLeather

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 05:54:22 am »
I'm curious that you were able to cut threads on an already supposedly hardened stud with a tap.  How well did it tap?  If that one wasn't threaded on both ends, then maybe it was a mistake and wasn't hardened either?

Offline SWEETPEAUK

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:19 am »
They could be orient express ones, I had a set of OE's and they had the same oil gallery feed studs. Out of interest what is the best material for HD head studs.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:41:09 am by SWEETPEAUK »

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 07:50:09 am »
Accordign to their website, the APE's are made from heat-treated chrome moly with rolled threads.
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:17 am »
F*%ch it.I will reuse an old one.15 heavy,and 1 regular,how bad can it be??A couple of local wrench's said they would just reuse one of the originals.I trust these guys,so,it is a stock motor,what should I do?
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 08:30:53 am »
After reading this thread and seeing what you're going through, I'm going to avoid ebay like the plague and order from reputable people for all my parts.  I mean, who sends a stud with only one end threaded?!
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:19 am »
After seeing 2 836s in town here, and several 812s go a decade without leaking, I wouldnt bather on a stocker...

But I would assemble carefully, and make sure surfaces are flat..

Re the ebay sale, I assume there was a pic of all the studs?
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:50 am »
just a pic of the package with them in it.I already closed the case.I will go to a local machine shop and see what they can do for me.Otherwise I will just reuse an original stud.
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:43 pm »
I'd use the stud that you threaded mate, if you want you could take it to the machine shop and get them to heat harden it by heating and quenching that's cool, but it's a 10mm stud that you're only going to torque to 25 foot pounds max, so even if it's not hardened, it's not gonna be overly stressed.

Alternatively, if you use one of your original 35 year old stressed out, thin-arsed studs the most you're gonna torque it down to is 15 foot pounds, and obviously you're not going to torque the rest of the studs more than that one, so in effect you've wasted your time, and your money, and your heavy duty studs aren't of any benefit to you at all, you may as well just use the crappy OEM ones again.

Hell, for all it's worth, you may as well just put those nasty old H/D studs in a box and send 'em to me! ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »
CrMo comes in a few forms, annealed is softest, and HTSR is harder..

HTSR = Heat Treated Stress Relieved

HTSRT is machineable , so it can probably be rolled or die-threaded.

If they were heat treated, AFTER threading, they maybe would have discoloration or scale on them, but not necessarilly..

.................................................................................

Back to this thread and its PO, the part you threaded is it full thread, ie near size like the others, or does it look like its missing thread?
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:58 pm »
After reading this thread and seeing what you're going through, I'm going to avoid ebay like the plague and order from reputable people for all my parts.  I mean, who sends a stud with only one end threaded?!

i got rid of my account a couple of months ago. i got tired of the screwing i was getting from ebay and paypal. i wont use either of them now
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:25 pm »
You're missing out Fuzzy, I'm making out on EBay like a bandit! ;D

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 07:12:47 am »
yeah,you roll your dice,you take your chances.

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:37 am »
Is stainless hard enough for a replacement?I dont know much about grades and such.Fastenal has 3 diff grades of metric allthread ,some stainless,some just hard grade steel.4.6,8.8,etc.Obviously I know that stainless is brittle so should I go with class 4.6 or 8.8 steel?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »
I definitely wouldn't use allthread of any grade for a cylinder stud mate, that's just asking for trouble. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »
why may I ask,I am not talking ordinary run of the mill allthread.I am talking hardened allthread.I may just turn the crappy stud upside down,any thoughts on this?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 03:06:31 pm »
why may I ask,I am not talking ordinary run of the mill allthread.I am talking hardened allthread.I may just turn the crappy stud upside down,any thoughts on this?

Allthread will never hold it's torque like a regular stud, it'll just continue to stretch. Hardened allthread will be better, but it still won't hold the same tension as the other studs, of the same OD. Use your stud that you threaded yourself, and don't worry about the "armchair engineers", mate, it'll be fine. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2010, 08:58:22 pm »
 Still never answered wether the one he threaded himself had full thread... ???
dodogas99@gmail.com