Author Topic: My 1973 CB500K2 Adventure in refurbishing  (Read 18301 times)

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
Re: Another CB500 project think I'll call it Wharf Rat
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »
Figured I would post a few more

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »
Got the block painted today, it is called cast aluminum color, is a bit darker than the aluminum color and not quite as shiny. Not to bad looking color, it and the primer are both hi temp paint, apparently some type of enamel with ceramic compounds added, from auto parts store about 5 bucks a can. Never used it before so it will be interesting to see if it holds up.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2010, 02:52:26 pm »
Repainted the tank, side covers and headlamp bucket, finally the paint gods were kind. Now the frame looks like crap so it will be next black I think, but who knows.

Offline captaincrash80

• I better build something before I'm no longer considered a
  • Enthusiast
  • Member #4842
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2010, 04:24:16 pm »
Lookin sweet man, good progress!!  ;D

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »
Thanks, stripped the frame and assorted other bits today, primer tomorrow, and pics if I remember.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2010, 01:20:12 pm »
Got the frame and assorted bits primered today, lucky I did it early, the wind has come up and I would have wasted a lot of paint. Still contemplating a color.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2010, 01:24:19 pm »
One thing I noticed, I was looking through some photos of my rebuild of a 67bmwr69s and the welds on it compared to the honda are like night and day. Maybe the welder in japan in 73 was having a bad day.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2010, 03:48:42 pm »
Got the frame painted metallic black, actually I painted it, picked up a set of bar end mirrors, ordered steering head tapered bearings and also got a set exhaust gaskets and drag bars. The wallet is 117 dollars lighter today. Will be bolting everything back up pretty soon, hope it is done by the september vintage days at the track. Still have a ways to go and I am saving for a dunstall quarter fairing and would love to get an alloy cafe seat. Also renamed my first post"My 1973 CB500K2 Adventure in refurbishing. But don't know if it changes the title in everything, with the metallic blue it is no longer a wharf rat. Malibu barbie maybe!LOL Oh yeh, I also had the tire jockey put the rear tire back on rolling in the right direction.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:57:57 pm by Jordan »

traveler

Re: My 1973 CB500K2 Adventure in refurbishing
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:19 pm »
Well, for what it's worth, I like the direction you are going with this build, and really appreciate you taking the time to post the pics, etc.

~Joe

traveler

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 05:23:54 pm »
One thing I noticed, I was looking through some photos of my rebuild of a 67bmwr69s and the welds on it compared to the honda are like night and day. Maybe the welder in japan in 73 was having a bad day.

Yes, that is common.  My view of this....is Honda spent all their money on the motor.....and to provide a wonderful engine, and still sell the bike at an affordable price (chaep honestly), they had to save some money and cut some corners.  That's why the chrome plating was THIN, and the welds were "adequate".

Us fellas doing this now, are fixing these issues, which had they have been done "correctly" when new, would have resulted in a bike with a price being ALOT higher than what it was.

I just hope you decide to keep her when done!

~Joe
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:25:41 pm by traveler »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19:06 pm »

Check some of the other Janapese welds of the same era, makes the Honda welds look top notch.  ;)

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:34 am »
a little tip, remember to remove the bearing races in the neck tube and replace before painting, dinged up my paint pretty good today plus mashed a thumb! Thanks for the compliments, it depends on how it rides when done, if I keep it for more than a season or two, had a 350 in the 70's loved it, so I am hoping the 500 is as nice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:44:45 am by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »
Well, today has been cold and raining, WTF, it should be in the 80's and sunshine up the wazoo! I began to put it back together, put the tapered bearings in the steering head, went pretty smooth, used the thinner of the two washers and the whole thing clears everything, and the stops work just fine an inch before getting close to the tank, touched up the paint that I messed up getting the old races out, installed the drag bars and mirrors, to see what it will look like, tomorrow the swing arm shocks and tire then the controls and wire routing, oh joy, it's been a busy day and surprise..surprise....I didn't smash any digits, my glucose didn't drop out, everything seemed to go together without any major snafu's. Now it medication time and hydro therapy in the hot tub! Ahhhh........  

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2010, 05:11:56 pm »
A few more pics of the work I did last night on the bar end controls, off to the salvage yard tomorrow for a little exploring and spending.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 06:45:30 am »
Got some things done the last few days after a visit to the salvage yards, installed the correct MC, rebuilt the brake caliper, replaced the rear fender with one that fits proper, found a correct grab bar, replaced the rear cam bolt with an undamaged one, found a seat that someone had covered with levi material, and made a fiberglass copy of the pan, still working on that one as I have never worked with fiberglass the end product may be a bit iffy!

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »
Today I got the engine side covers stripped primed and painted, Yesterday made a fiberglass seatpan using the stock one I picked up at salvage as a mold. Still needs work like metal reinforcment at the mounting points and more fiberglass matting for additional strength, not bad for never doing glass before. Also painted the stock pan after naval jelly wire brushing primed with rustoleum rust converter and rusty metal primer then gloss black. Under side no rust, top side lot's of rust no pinholes though probably due to the denim cover and H2O.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:19:39 pm by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
Started cutting gluing and shaping the foam for a new seat. Picked it up a Lowe's 1/2" eva foam flooring that hooks together like a jigsaw puzzle. Still have a lot of shaping to do. Test fit side covers to figure out what length allen heads to get and a few other odds and ends today, very tired.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »
Got tired of chasing the foam around the garage while shaping it, attached it to the stock seatpan with pilobond seems like good stuff but the vapors made me a bit dizzy. Slow going lately, with all the bikes going by the house I really want to get this done so I can ride.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2010, 05:38:15 pm »
Man I don't know how I missed this build. Its awesome.. Great work.. Love the bench you made, I may just do that myself.. Sure comes in handy I bet..

Love the Blue.. Good choice...

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2010, 06:36:58 pm »
Thanks, yes the bench keeps me off the hard concrete and puts everything at a good working level, at my age I need all the help I can get, glad you like it and feel free to copy it anytime.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 05:18:38 am »
One thing noticed in working with the seat and the foam I am shaping, with 5 layers it is very hard, I need to find a top layer that I can add that is medium density, a 1/2" of memory foam maybe? any suggestions as to where to source something that would work?

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 05:42:53 am »
One thing noticed in working with the seat and the foam I am shaping, with 5 layers it is very hard, I need to find a top layer that I can add that is medium density, a 1/2" of memory foam maybe? any suggestions as to where to source something that would work?
I know the local WalMart would have some of that memory foam.. I picked up some 1/2 for a single bed and I have to say its very comfy according to my daughter! Maybe you could do that, its not that expensive and probably more then you would need..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 05:45:52 am »
Thanks, yes it thought of wallyworld, I may try Joannes crafts they may have some upholstery foams, most are way to spongy though.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »
Not doing much lately, I just started a part time janitor job at my church, waiting on allen bolts from the local nut and bolt house, will begin to button up the engine next week. Seat foam is attached and I am slowly getting it sanded into shape. I am thinking of making a vacum table to wet mold the leather to the seat for that custom fit look. No pics as of late.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 01:04:41 pm »
Got a little bored today while cleaning the garage so I wanted to get some pics of the mockup in the sun.