Author Topic: My 1973 CB500K2 Adventure in refurbishing  (Read 18198 times)

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
My 1973 CB500K2 Adventure in refurbishing
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:56:20 pm »
Picked this bike up about three weeks ago for $400, Plate indicates 12/72 mfg so I think it is a 73 as it seems logical it was sold in that year. I had read somewhere that in California anyways, hondas were dated when they were sold and first registered, could be wrong though. Anyway, it seemed that it was loosely bolted together mainly to keep most of the parts from getting lost, has minimal rust and poor compression in #4. So far I have stripped it down to the frame, rebuilt the front forks, tracked down some parts at Bills Boneyard, Grimm cycle salvage and the dealer here in Northern Utah, stripped the tank for bondo and paint(wish I knew how to do leading), finally got the bearing retainers off after 4 days of coaxing with a variety of homemade tools, got the engine half torn down and am waiting on parts, it seems that someone got lazy and installed a broken middle ring in #4. At least that is what I suspect. There is no obvious damage but I have not found the piece yet so splitting the case and through search are in order as I don't need a stray piece of ring bouncing around inside. I am hoping to get to ride sometime this summer but in the meantime it looks to be a fun project. Everything else is in boxes including a complete rebuilt set of carbs (PO stated he spent $700 at the dealer down south to have them done), or shelved around the garage, sure wish it would warm up this cold is putting a real dent in my fun. Jordan
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:55:39 pm by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
Re: Another CB500 project
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »
Another pic, seem to be having trouble posting, maybe it is just me tonite

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »
In case anyone is interested, Lowes hardware has rubber grommets that will work to hold the side covers on, a little heat will help to form the oval on the top two holes and a smaller one is needed for the lower hole. And they have little square clips that will hold the badges on too.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:59 pm »
A couple of pics while waiting for paint to dry

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:35:49 pm »
A couple more of the zerk mod I did the other day

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:36 am »
Messing around today waiting on parts, decided to cleanup and mount the rear fender, wouldn't you know it! None of the mounting holes line up, top bolt holes are an inch and a half towards the front of the bike compared to the cross brace it's supposed to mount to. Must be from a different year or model bike. Ah well jot down another part to find at the boneyard.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:35:15 pm by Jordan »

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:36:08 pm »
Paints Dry badges applied, bad reflections from the high gloss black Rustoleum Professional rattlecan job.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:40:03 pm by Jordan »

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:15 pm »
Nice work! Too bad about the rear fender, but I like the look of the bucket and covers. Looking forward to seeing this completed!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:23:46 pm by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:24:30 am »
Working on the wheels last night and after looking at the drum brake system and the drawings in the manual it seems that somewhere along the line someone put a casting from a cb350 or 400 on the bike. This could explain the sheared cam bolt and the reason why the bolt I found at the boneyard is the wrong length and width. Ah the joy of refurbishment!

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:06 am »
Now I am really confused. Bike bandit schematics shows the brake drum I have as correct, Cylmer shows a drawing of a different one, shop manual shows drawing of one but photo of another. Later I think I will post a pic and see what you all think is the right one for a 12/72 mfg date cb500four.

traveler

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:21 am »
Your avatar makes it appear you are an old boxer buff.... ;D

Looks good....thanks for taking the time to post!

You will have to make the decision as to cost versus quality on the restoration....looks like you did as far as paint.....how much money do you want to spend?  Is the bike a keeper or are you going to sell it?  These old Honda's don't seem to be worth much in comparison to the cost in restoring them.

Anyhow, just rambling....keep it up!

~Joe

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:59:43 pm »
Your right in order to make a few bucks you have to pinch the pennies, so far spent more in parts than I did for the bike. I love to find old stuff and fix it up play with it awhile then sell it for someone else to enjoy. I make a couple hundred on hondas and a few thousand on beemers, but the enjoyment of taking stuff apart learning how it works and putting it back together right is priceless to me. Here is a pic of the brake hub I am confused about, is it right for a 73 cb500? and I got the front end sorted out today, am going to work on the rear after a nap I think.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 09:03:09 pm »
Couldn't find a cam bolt so I fixed the broken one, drilled and tapped a 6mm hole thru the top and half way thru the bottom threaded a piece of 1/4" steel and screwed it all together with thread lock and staked, it will due till I find another to replace it. Also installed all the bearings and mounted the tires, so far all the seals o rings bearings etc replaced and it actually looks like a bike again

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »
I just noticed my new engine in the previous post, propane rocket power! I will need to turn it around though. LMAO.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »
Pretty sure that hub will work, I think the later ones had ribs on that the arm attaches to that keeps the shoe carrier from rotating. 
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »
Primered tank today and got the front and rear rims tires etc sorted out. Starting to go thru the box that is supposed to be the wiring, interesting to say the least everything looks non honda and frried.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 03:11:21 pm »
Well today and yesterday did a little painting and messed up the tank, it should be ok after a wet sand and respray. Moved on to the seat which looked horrible with the mounting hardware and rubber bumpers tailend stuck out like a sore thumb. I am going to modify the seatpan and remove the bumpers in an attempt to lower it an make it a little better looks wise. I don't have any cash for the right seat, the rear fender is not right but I can make it work and I think the bars are not right either but what the hay it aint no concourse resto just a project to fixup and ride this summer, I hope it is done by September so I can ride out to tooele for the vintage race at miller motorsports track, which if you have never been, is a really nice place.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 05:09:39 pm »
One of those frustrating days, nothing fit right, paint crackled, and wacked a knuckle or two. It's hot tub time to heck with the bike for a day or two.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 04:17:55 pm »
Today got over my frustration about the tank painting fiasco. I changed direction and painted it flat black, I know that is the easy way out, but heck I like the look even though it is a dime a dozen. I made a short tester with bits from radio shack a couple of AA batts, a box, a light, a couple of alligator clips and some wire. Works pretty good for finding broken or shorted wires in my harness. Also got the seat lowered so the back end doesn't stick up in the air so bad but I still have to figure out a decent way to mount it to the frame. And last but not least, shortened the rear blinker posts about an inch and a half to put them in tighter to the bike, alway did hate most mfg's blinker setups they are just plain ugly no matter what you do to get them to blend in with the looks of a bike.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
Re: Another CB500 project think I'll call it Wharf Rat
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 06:40:30 pm »
Your rear tire's on backwards bud.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 08:38:14 pm »
I will add that to the list, lucky it only goes backwards right now. Seriously though, I had Wrights Cycle in Salt Lake City mount them and they specifically asked which side was which on the front and back, and mounting them with the red line on the left so if I can't get it out of reverse I'll blame them.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:42 pm »
Silly Beemer motorcyclist  ;D.  Speaking of BMW's....S1000RR!!  OOO I just jizzed in my pants.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 11:23:13 am »
I probably should mention that when I had the tires put on the hub internals were not there, as I was replacing bearings, I guess that is why the kid mounting them had to ask which side was which.

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
I really wish there was a salvage yard around where I live.

The only guy I know of in Nashville is a complete prick to deal with and wants to charge full (NEW) price for something that is used..

Oh well.

Keep up the good work.
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 08:29:20 pm »
There are 2 that I have been to in Utah, Bills Boneyard, only one cb500 but he has seats and fenders up the wazzoo I did not have time to look through most of it (no web site)in West Valley and Grimm Cycle Salvage in Orem, Grimm's has an ebay store and his prices seem reasonable, he had 3 cb500's and maybe 10 or so cb750's along with a bunch of yamaha's and such. Thanks for the encouragement, working on the harness the last couple of days very tedious as I am not that good with electricity. Had to shrink tube quite a bit from PO add ons and wear through spots.