Author Topic: gauge face restoration, the HARD way!  (Read 7537 times)

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
Re: gauge face restoration, the HARD way!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 03:56:54 pm »
I'm interested in a kit or plan to do this for my bike!

Thanks for posting.

George
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 04:42:57 pm »
I hope you don't mind my barrage of questions - I'm just getting into electronic stuff so this kind of project fascinates me. Where'd you get your OLED screen/driver? I've found 128x64 OLED screens on eBay for $7 and drivers for under $15, but I'm not sure I'd trust myself to interface them correctly. 4G has some OLED/driver combos starting at around $50 for a ~1" screen, and there are some how-tos for Arduino compatibility. Things could get pricey once you add in a RBBB Arduino and all of the sensors. It'd still be awesome to see oil pressure, CHT, speed (via bicycle hall-effect sensor), current gear (based on Neutral switch + gear ratio calculation), fuel level, etc.

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 05:07:29 pm »
Yeah, you could get pretty crazy with it. The screen I'm using is a 96x16 single-color unit from Univision. I wrote the drivers myself. I'm pretty sure you can't get them in short quantities, we buy them by the thousand for our products.
'75 CB550F

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 07:08:06 pm »
A few minutes of Googling tells me that this unit from 4G systems is the cheapest panel/driver combo available. Not cheap, but it would be cool.

Offline ornj

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 11:44:05 am »
Damn that is hot. I would pick up a kit without second thought. Would be nice to get a matching speedo as some ppl stated above.

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 02:01:07 pm »
Wow.. that is awesome. I really wish i knew more about electronics and could pull something like this off.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 07:04:12 am »
Based on this thread, I'm not so sure that grounding the coils is the best method of rev limiting, unless you want a nice fireworks show. Or maybe it wouldn't be an issue because the amount of time the coils are off is very small.

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:50 am »
Actually, now that you mention it, that's pretty much guaranteed to happen. I wonder how old-school rev limiters worked? I know new ones cut off the injector signal.
'75 CB550F