Author Topic: '76 Suzuki GT500 (What do ya think)  (Read 2184 times)

Offline country joe

'76 Suzuki GT500 (What do ya think)
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:14:24 am »
I know this bike has nothing to do Honda sohc4's, but a guy who lives a few miles from me has this bike for sale on Craigslist in the Chicagoland section. 1976 Suzuki GT 500. I don't even know if he has a title for it, but it was a farm bike that he claims belonged to his grandfather. He has no listing for a price, but says it probably just needs the carbs cleaned and it would run. (You all know how these stories go though). Should I even bother. I try to steer clear of two strokes, and I already have my '78 CB550 I'm messing with. Anyone out there ever had one of these things? I know nothing about them other than they were 2 cycle twins. What do ya think?
'78 Honda CB550K
'79 Yamaha IT400
'74 H-D Sprint 350 (basket case)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: '76 Suzuki GT500 (What do ya think)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 06:24:02 am »
Everybody should have an old 2-stroke road bike in the stable. The sound ,smell and ride is a blast. 2 strokes were the dominant bike when I was comeing up through the ranks. If it was cheap and did not look to trashed I would buy it.I loved my old GT750 Water Buffalo,would buy another. Hey no valves to mess with  ;)  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:16:38 am by ekpent »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:29:57 am »
Those are great old bikes, if you can get it for $500-600, I'd buy it.
I have a Suzuki TS250, [trail/street] and after not running it for a couple years, just needed the carb cleaned and it now runs great.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:56:23 am »
It's name is "Titan". They were my roadracing nemesis: if they showed up on the Production Racing tracks of my day, I knew I wasn't going to be ahead of them in that race. They weigh about 385 lbs. and put 50 HP on the ground. They're a riot to ride, very torquey and the vibration isn't bad for a 2-stroke.

Just get the crankcase cleaned out (pull the little valves out of the bottom if you must, to get it cleaned out) of the old gas & oil crud, and if the crankshaft seals are good and the carbs cleaned, it will probably run. It will smoke like a crop dusting airplane at first. Make sure you keep the oil tank full of "2-stroke injection oil" type lube.

You should be able to buy it for around $300. New in 1970-76 they were $895 when the CB750 was $1795. Lots of folks toured with them, on open (non-fairing'd) bikes: the fairings would pull the oil smoke up around the rider - kinda nasty. They are illegal to ride in many cities today where 2-strokes are banned: L.A. is one, Chicago another, I think Phoenix, too. I don't know how well the laws are enforced today, but in the late 1970s it was a big deal.

Neat little bikes! I think they use B7E sparkplugs: you're gonna need a few. My Ignition is running on half a dozen Titans today!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline country joe

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:40:52 am »
I decided to not go look at it. I've got one bike I'm doing now, and just need to concentrate on that. Hopefully I'll have my title soon. I just don't have the space or time for another one yet. I've got 2 bikes (technically three) already.
'78 Honda CB550K
'79 Yamaha IT400
'74 H-D Sprint 350 (basket case)