Author Topic: pop goes the honda  (Read 1840 times)

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
pop goes the honda
« on: February 25, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »
So ya know how hitting the kill switch while rolling causes unburned fuel to accumulate in the cylinders and how it makes a nice POP when you turn the power back on? 
Just how bad is that for the bike?  ;D

I had a friend who loved to do this trick w/ his 72 Cutlass. Made a huge bang & launched flames and muffler packing all over the place...

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: pop goes the honda
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 05:25:15 pm »
It does nothing to the engine. How much you wanna spend on a new exhaust system. ;D
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:17 pm »
How many Highway Patrol Officers do you want to surround you with drawn Glocks? ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »
I used to do that a lot.. ;D

My best was when I saw a cat in a field mousing.. I let-er-rip..

That cat went about a yard straight up   :o ;D, twisted a 180 in the air, and hit the ground running.. ;D... 2nd funniest thing I saw a cat do...

Eventually one night I blew a head gasket, side out of #1 or #4.. under  hard throttle flame came out the side.. :o   :o, but at low throttle it was OK, so I limped it home.. .. sometime after that I played with the kill switch, a lot less..

Cant say it did, or did not hurt the head gasket..

Ever crack the points while tuning, and have it backfire.. I did in a carport.. :o  :o.. it sure got my attention..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline JZEROE

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:23:13 am »
I used to live next door to the Hells Angles, and one of the guys told me about doing that at a party. They do it all the time (because their bikes are not loud enough). I did it once, and my starter button assembly shattered when I tried to fire back up. I figured it was karma, and haven't done it since.
'75 CB400F
'76 CB750K - Project Freebike

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:24:06 am »
in the 80s i drove a small j series bedford truck ,it had a chev 307 and t400 shoe horned in,we did it all the time,it had a single side exhaust,,the funniest one was a girl walking her dog,it was taking a dump and kaboom!!!the dog nearly pulled the girl over with a half passed dump swinging behind it!!man we laughed for days!!i did it to a valiant and left the ignition off for too long and burst the muffler seam,that was a 265 hemi with a reverse flow.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:28:10 am »
When I lived in Chattanooga 20 years ago, my recreational cruises involved a downhill tunnel and a 750 with not much of a baffle.  On more than one occasion I would ride through the tunnel doing about 50, hit the kill switch, crack the throttle wfo, shove the center stand down onto the asphalt (oh the sparks..), then fire it back up.  I don't know why my buddies never rode through that tunnel behind me more than once  ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and yes it can be bad for the exhaust system  :'(
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline grumpy

• Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:56:50 am »
...ride through the tunnel doing about 50, hit the kill switch, crack the throttle wfo, shove the center stand down onto the asphalt (oh the sparks..), then fire it back up.

That's awesome.  ;D

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:53 pm »
I had a friend who loved to do this trick w/ his 72 Cutlass. Made a huge bang & launched flames and muffler packing all over the place...

My Dad used to do that in tunnels...
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »
I did it once, and my starter button assembly shattered when I tried to fire back up.

Why would the starter button shatter?  ???
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline grumpy

• Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:11 pm »
Why would the starter button shatter?  ???
Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:59:42 pm »
Had a mate who owned a Yamaha RD350, got bored one night so he removed the exhaust pipes completely and rode down the street full blast, flames down both sides of his bike, looked flippin awesome....he's dead now...R.I.P. Kevin. :(
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!