Author Topic: long distance bike buying  (Read 990 times)

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
long distance bike buying
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:49:53 am »
Maybe this is a little crazy, but it seems logical...

I search the web looking for bikes, as I'm sure many of us do.  The problem is, I find what I think are great deals but they might be 100-400 miles away. I'm willing to travel that far to get the right bike, but if they are a good deal, they get snapped up before I can make arrangements to see them.

So here is my thought... I live in Brooklyn, I have a car, and I just enjoy talking about, looking at, and playing with these bikes.  I would be willing to check out bikes in the area for other people who live further away, take photos, verify what the seller is saying is correct...

Are there others who feel the same way?

I suppose some people like to keep their potential great-find-goldmines to themselves lest they risk exposing the bike to more interested buyers who might live closer, have more free time to look at bikes, etc...

Maybe this would be all for nothing anyway, seems like the really good deals get snatched up so fast that there would be no time to make this kind of arrangement anyway...

Just thinking out loud

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: long distance bike buying
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:04:19 am »
It is VERY competitive when the right machine pops up at the right price on the internet.Its good to spread the word around you are looking,talk to other bikers and shops,print some wanted business cards and pass them out like candy,put'em up on billboards in stores etc. Make them find you. ;)

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:50 am »
I also stalk the bikes parked outside in Brooklyn and Manhattan...all the ones that look like someone doesn't love them anymore. I've left a note or three before...

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:45:03 am »
Def a little easier for us out here in the country than stalking them in the big city,now where is that next old barn at  Hmmmm

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:53:18 am »
The country is definitely easier.  I remember seeing about 15 near mint BSAs go for $20-$30 each at a farm auction once in IL.  I was in a car and couldn't take them away that day as required by the rules.

I have a dream of buying a bike in Maine in the summertime and driving it back the CA.  The issue is you have to establish trust with the seller, know your way around a bike, and be committed to spending money on new tires when you get there.  If you are just looking in your immediate area, then hopefully you will have a buddy available to look.  I bought a car in Atlanta a few years back.  A friend looked it over, and then I bought it on eBay.  I flew out and drove it back to CA.  It was a lot of fun, and I'd do it again.  Adventures just seem to happen like that.

Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline arblebang

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:00:39 am »
I think there's potential for a really good database of bike scouts here. I'd like to offer my services to anyone in the Tallahassee, FL area as a confirmer of motorcycle ads. I'm on my 5th old Jap bike and I think I can get a pretty good feel for the value and condition of a motorcycle, if anyone from out of town wants to buy a bike close to me, let me know and I'll look at it for you.

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:28:50 am »
I think there's potential for a really good database of bike scouts here. I'd like to offer my services to anyone in the Tallahassee, FL area as a confirmer of motorcycle ads. I'm on my 5th old Jap bike and I think I can get a pretty good feel for the value and condition of a motorcycle, if anyone from out of town wants to buy a bike close to me, let me know and I'll look at it for you.

That's kinda the idea I was getting at...it may not work for many people very often, but it may work for someone at some point...

Anyone near Providence, RI? I want to see a bike there...