Author Topic: I made a youtube video of my carb synch  (Read 3409 times)

Offline arblebang

I made a youtube video of my carb synch
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »
Hey guys I just put a video on youtube of my carb synch. I'm still learning at this. For those more skilled then I, anything you would change about my process? I'm thinking of offering this service to other motorcycle owners around my area.

Thanks

Offline gerryw

Re: I made a youtube video of my carb synch
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:04:52 pm »

Gerry

Online Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:35:04 pm »
   Arklebang,
Can you tell us at what RPM you did that sync? When I synced carbs, I usually choose an rpm between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Yours seems to turn real high in rpm, where differences in vacuum are minor anyway.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline arblebang

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 07:28:42 am »
Unfortunately the tach doesnt work, so I can only estimate. I too learned to do a synch at a high idle, around the 2k range, but with this bike I can only guess. Basically I got the bike to a loping, almost dying idle, and turned the idle screw about a quarter turn. I know it sounds fast in the movie but I think that is a function of the rusty exhaust system and the sound quality of the camera.

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
  • It's 5 o'clock somewhere
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:07 am »
This would have been very helpful last spring before I knew how to do it!  ::)

This will still be very helpful to everyone who has not done it before on one of these bikes.

Good job!  :D
1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:22:01 am »
I am glad you mentioned the fan on the motor as many forget that part.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:34:56 am by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:55:46 am »
With respect to the vid. poster...I would never synch. my carbs at what sounds like 7,000 rpm...!!!
High idle @ 1,500 rpm if you want smooth take-off and even low-end response........did you even look at the readings at idle ?
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:14:43 am »
I don't know about 550s, but on a 750, the left hand cylinder is #1.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:41 am »
Overall, a very nice effort.  I do have some constructive criticism.  (Isn't that a surprise!)  ;D

1 - I agree with a previous post that your "idle" is far too high.  Sounds more to me like it's at 4000 RPM.
What this means is that the slides are farther open than they should be for the final sync adjust, and this makes the critical fine adjustment impossible.
The vacuum reading is most sensitive when the slides are almost closed, which coincidentally is the lowest idle speed.  I'll use the lowest idle speed (tiniest slide opening) I can get, even if I need to make two or three passes at adjustment, just to get it that low.

2 - When you have the proper low idle, each intake pulse can be seen on those gauges, which makes them swing wildly.  The Gauge kit should have a damper valve for each vacuum connection to limit the gauge needle swings.  On mine, I set those dampers to about a "one tick" scale reading excursion.  This way I can visualize the center of the swing as a reference to compare to other gauges.  So, you need to add damper installation and adjustment to that video.

3- You trust your gauge needle's accuracy too much.  You should connect all four gauges to a vacuum source, and compare the readings of the gauges to each other.  When brand new, they should all be reading the same excursion, if adjusted correctly.  Time and knocking the gauges around can change them.  They can also develop leaks in the tubes and the internal components that can change the needle deflection.  So checking the gauges for correct comparative readings is step one of using gauges.

4 - They style carb you've picked allows the individual slide adjustments to be skewed so the slides CAN'T be lowered far enough for correct idle speed.  This will often make the main idle knob useless for setting the correct low idle speed.  (This may explain why your current idle is so high.)
Some other carb types only allow three of the four carb to have an adjustment CB550K PD carb styles, for example.
So, I have to disagree with your adjustment recommendation of adjusting all the slide travel adjusters.  If you have a decent enough idle, you pick one carb to use as a reference carb and adjust all the others to that single carb that has NOT been adjusted and is known to achieve the correct idle speed setting.

5 - Another important missed item for instruction, is that prior to the carb sync, all the standard tuneup items should be addressed first.
Valve clearances, cam chain tension, spark plug gap/cleaning, point gap, ignition timing, air filter cleaning/replacement, and all the air bleed screw settings should be checked.  (I would also >like< to see (or have a mention about) a compression check showing that all cylinders have the capability of running at the same strength. But, that is probably not essential for a basic instruction.)  In essence, you want to adjust the carb sync last, so that the engine is assured to be capable of firing on all cylinders with equal strength and equal vacuum draw.

6 - I just noticed you called the leftmost cylinder number 4.  The leftmost cylinder is number 1 in all the shop manuals.

7 - You completely overlooked the adjustment lock down nuts, which must be tight after adjustment and STILL have the proper, equal reading on all the gauges after lock down.  Without those lock down nuts tight, the carbs won't stay synced for very long.

I hope you will make these corrections to the youtube post.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline arblebang

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:21:54 pm »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. I'm glad that some found it useful and some were able to help me out on the process. About it all...

I caught that slip up about the cylinder numberings after posting it on youtube, I would have corrected it but I don't think it affects the methodology or outcome of the synch.

Also, about the engine speed, unfortunately this bike doesn't have a working tach so I had to estimate. Just based on what I know about the bike, how idle sounds, how redline sounds, etc, I'm pretty sure I had it about 2000 (I geared it up there on purpose, this bike does have a pretty good idle thanks to new slow valves). Ideally I've been told that 1500 is best but without a tach I couldn't be sure. I should have made that comment in the video tho, you're right.

TwoTired, I very much appreciated all of the comments. Especially about making a complete tuneup before the synch, I should have mentioned that in the video. Finally, the lockdown nuts were another oversight on my part, I had the ratchet set out in one of the first scenes to indicate how to tighted the lockdown nuts, but when I was compiling the video that scene got left out by mistake.

So, obviously I have some editing to do. Thanks a lot guys.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 02:51:55 pm »
Book value idle speed is 950-1050 RPM.  Which is set just before you check the synchronization adjustment (it's in the Honda Shop manual).
When you have the idle set this low without the damping valves in the hoses between manifold and gauge, the needles will swing 5-10 inches on the dials.
If the engine is revved up, the needle swing is very small, as the pulses occur faster than the gauges can react (gauge response time).

I'm certain that when you put a tach on that engine, the "idle" speed" you've set will indicate far higher than book value.  IMO

After synchronization, I routinely set the idle speed a touch higher 1100-1200 for riding around town. (It helps keep the battery up while the headlight is on.)

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

wdhewson

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »
Good stuff guys.  Well done by all.

My question is about the ability to rebuild the carb quartet "off the bike" with sufficient set up precision and care so that the actual vacuum gauge will fall into line without further fiddling.  I just completed my "off the bike" 1972 CB350F carb quartet and used a small drill shank to get the slide positioning all within about 2 thou of each other.  And every idle air screw is 1 turn off its seat to within a 1/16th of a turn or better.

When I start the puppy, will she be synched on the vacuum gauges?

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »
Good stuff guys.  Well done by all.

My question is about the ability to rebuild the carb quartet "off the bike" with sufficient set up precision and care so that the actual vacuum gauge will fall into line without further fiddling.  I just completed my "off the bike" 1972 CB350F carb quartet and used a small drill shank to get the slide positioning all within about 2 thou of each other.  And every idle air screw is 1 turn off its seat to within a 1/16th of a turn or better.

When I start the puppy, will she be synched on the vacuum gauges?
I highly doubt it. A bench synch will get you in the ballpark. The most important thing is if all the other tune-up/ adjustments are done first and if there aren't any mechanical probs with the engine.The actual carb synch has to be done and will go smoothly if done properly.As already mentioned................use a fan/fans in front of the bike when you synch.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......