Author Topic: CB350F Cafe "Gerty"  (Read 9000 times)

Offline Mille44

Re: CB350F Cafe "Gerty"
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:36 pm »
By the way, you just beat me to the punch on buying that bike.  If it wasn't you, then it was going to be me picking it up.

Camelman

Some guys have all the luck.... ;D :'(

Offline Mille44

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 06:05:26 pm »
An update as to the progress of “Gerty”.

I pulled the swing arm off of Gerty a couple of weekends ago and took it apart to inspect, clean and get it ready for powder coating. What I found was perplexing to me to say the least. Attached are a few pictures for reference.

Needless to say, the Collar (close-up picture) is pitted WAY beyond serviceability. I have been getting advise from various sources (friends) and I was at the point a few days ago to where I thought I had to make a decision of whether or not this thing is worth the money I paid for it or whether its goes on the block for parts and I take my monetary hits and just chalk it up as a learning experience. Although I am still digging that dry hole, I am now looking at the project differently. I quit thinking of this thing as a money pit and look at it as entertainment. When I go spend $40 at the movie theater, do I expect to be able to sell my tickets to someone else later? And, for what I have into them? No. What a dumb friggin’ concept huh? Now to talk my wife into that notion…

Since I am having problems with the restoration of the original swing arm, I was thinking of completely replacing it with a custom made swing arm.

Since I have a friend (when I say friend, I mean FRIEND) that has a machine shop and is willing to take the time and help me make a new swing arm to vintage Bimota specifications so it will be allowed in both the WERA and AHRMA series for vintage racing. We started it on Sunday and within a few hours we had a frame to template the old swingarm to and the pivot made. The only thing that will be stock is the pivot bolt with the grease zerk, although that will be upgraded to a standard one as well. Anyway he is on vacation for a couple of weeks, so I can only dream what the next step will be once he gets back! I had never been around a working lathe before, let alone measuring fitment to the nearest ten-thousandth of an inch was a challenge. My pea brain has a hard time thinking four digits out…. Anyway, I can hardly wait to get back to work on it in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I have met a friend of a friend that does metal work. So with a handshake agreement, we are starting to fabricate the bodywork with the use of hammers, sandbags, hardwood stumps, English wheels and planishing hammers. It seems that he has been making good progress on the seat pan and hump. I cant wait to see what the fuel tank and the headlight come out like.

At this point, the headlight is going to be a custom 6” aluminum bucket that will house the speedometer and headlight. Similar to the headlight below.

Acewell 2853 Spedometer

So far, this is what I am thinking about for the tail light. Just because I’m chicken of being pulled over for a light that does not belong on the machine, I took a trip to the CHP office yesterday and they quoted me this:

{QUOTE] 24603. Every motor vehicle that is not in combination with any other vehicle and every vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles shall at all times be equipped with stoplamps mounted on the rear as follows:
(a) Every such vehicle shall be equipped with one or more stoplamps.
(e) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1979, shall emit a red light. Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, shall emit a red or yellow light. All stoplamps shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, except that stoplamps on a vehicle of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during those times.[/QUOTE}

So at this point it looks like I’m going forward with the 1933- 36 Ford tail light with the blue dot center. Although the light is allowed if I can project 300 feet, the illuminated blue dot is not. But, all I need to do is paint the back of the blue portion of the lens and its all good with the local CHiPies! Now to find out how LEDs work!  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:09:28 pm by Mille44 »

Offline Mille44

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 06:12:47 pm »
Since I cant figure out how to put pictures anywhere but the bottom of the post ??? ??? ???, here are the Bimota- type swingarm that a friend and I are building.

And, a link to my swing arm thread.... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68170.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:15:15 pm by Mille44 »

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »
Hey, there are a number of us looking at the Acewell around here - and I intend to put min in my headlight as well - could you let us know which hookup you use for it, and how well it works?

Offline Mille44

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 11:01:59 am »
Here are a few of the bodywork pictures so far. This is all my design and any comments or suggestions would be extremely helpful...

1) Paper pattern to lay out on the aluminum.
2) All marked up on the aluminum.
3) Shrinking the top and pre bending the seat back.
4) Anealing the bends.
5) Clamping to the jig.

Offline Mille44

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 11:05:02 am »
1) First fitment to the frame. Need to align with the tank...
2)A bit of planishing.
3) Starting to shape the bump/ hump.... Whatever... :)
4) Shrinking with the anvil.
5) Another fitment on the bike.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 03:06:14 pm »
Wish you lived closer I sure could use your talent with sheetmetal on my bike!! Its sure is shaping up nicely. You have good metal chops man..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mille44

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 03:52:18 pm »
I wish I could claim the metal work as mine. But a friend of a friend wanted a project, so I gave him a call.... ;D

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:48 am »
I wish I could claim the metal work as mine. But a friend of a friend wanted a project, so I gave him a call.... ;D
Well if you lived closer, you could be the friend of a friend of a friend who wants a project and I have a project I could send him..

Wow, I guess I need more coffee!!!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 07:59:54 am »
Well if you lived closer, you could be the friend of a friend of a friend who wants a project and I have a project I could send him..

Wow, I guess I need more coffee!!!

or more friends! (with metal working tools)

cb544

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 08:04:31 am »
Awesome build so far- especially that metal work! I hope you let him know about the praise he's been receiving.

Since the first day of spring I've been obsessed with metal working tools... I think it was a special on Jesse James that got me hooked. I researched everything I could, but haven't bought a single hammer for fear of buying crap. Guess I didn't research it that well.

Anyway, keep us posted! If you can, I'd love some more info on your friend's metal working setup, and your garage!

Speaking of which... do we have a garage thread?

Offline Mille44

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:20 pm »
Ha! That’s the first thing I referred to when I met him. ;D Jesse James had one of those episodes that showed him or someone else working on an English wheel and I was interested in seeing how it works. Once I said that, and showed some interest in his hobby, we spent hours talking about what tools do what, where he got them, which ones (like the English Wheel) he built from scratch and that he has self taught himself how to use everything. Needless to say, I'm mighty impressed!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:08:55 pm by Mille44 »

Offline rebabal

• DMoney
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »
http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php but hold on, they ain't cheap.

I have my seat from Sean and the quality is very nice in my opinion.  It's looking like I won't be using the seat after I received it because it's a lot bigger than I anticipated and I ended up getting the wrong "type"... it's too boxy for what I want my bike to be, but all that is just my opinion... the seat is awesome looking.
'90 CB-1 (CB400F)
'76 CB750k - '78 F Brake Conversion
'03 CRF230

Offline Mille44

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »
http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php but hold on, they ain't cheap.

I have my seat from Sean and the quality is very nice in my opinion.  It's looking like I won't be using the seat after I received it because it's a lot bigger than I anticipated and I ended up getting the wrong "type"... it's too boxy for what I want my bike to be, but all that is just my opinion... the seat is awesome looking.

I'm with everyone else, that if its not what you want, sell it, or send it back and get something you want. You will never be satisfied with something that you dont like but decide you "can live with"... Thats why its called a project. you just cant go down to the store and buy one.... :-\