Author Topic: I was wondering what you thought about this  (Read 2424 times)

passing through

I was wondering what you thought about this
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:42 am »
I know a guy who bought a sand cast motor but doesn't have a sand cast frame so is punching some low digit sand cast numbers onto a late model frame to make it look like a sand cast. Besides the legal implications, this doesn't sound honest to me. Does it matter? What do you think?

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I was wondering what you thought about this
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:21 am »
i guess it really depends on what his intensions are.
Its kinda tough to title a bike when the frame VIN is all gowd up!

if he's going to cafe the bike, and ride it.  who care's what frame its in.

if he's going for the full restore, for his own use, not for sale/profit, only he will care/know its not a K0 frame.  those who KNOW these bikes, will clearly see his shenanigans.

if he is doing anything OTHER than the above...i'm sure there are many out there who'd wish him to be skinned alive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:52:55 am by flybox1 »
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:13:21 am »
I see no reason to alter the frame number unless his intention is to sell it...which makes it wrong.

If he planned to keep it, why do it...he would know it wasn't legit and it wouldn't be worth the hassle of the process.

I see no good motives here.

Cheers

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:48 am »
I see no reason to alter the frame number unless his intention is to sell it...which makes it wrong.

If he planned to keep it, why do it...he would know it wasn't legit and it wouldn't be worth the hassle of the process.

Cheers

Ditto
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:29:44 am »

Cheers

Ditto

Tritto.  Sounds fishy to me.
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:57:43 am »
Good point. Who's he trying to deceive, himself? On the other hand, how would one register a bike without a valid VIN number?

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:07 am »

It would be funny if he gave the frame the same # as the engine. E prefix & all...
What a scammer.  >:(   'Passing through', did you pick that name because you were only gonna be here long enough to see what we thought of your nefarious scam? Starting your thread with "I know a guy" is such a passé way of saying "I'm gonna do this, what do you guys think?"  ::) ::)

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 11:25:27 am »
There are definitely some suckers out there, but pretty much anybody looking for a true sandcast and willing to spend the kind of money it takes to buy one will be able to tell it's a forgery.  He'll basically be turning a good frame into scrap. 

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 11:29:07 am »
It would be funny if he gave the frame the same # as the engine. E prefix & all...
What a scammer.  >:(   'Passing through', did you pick that name because you were only gonna be here long enough to see what we thought of your nefarious scam? Starting your thread with "I know a guy" is such a passé way of saying "I'm gonna do this, what do you guys think?"  ::) ::)

Matching frame AND case no's...now that would make it worth a gazillion!  :D ::)

'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline cgancos

• Flickr Page
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:37:04 am »
I think the odds of this being a current forum member trying to remain anonymous is pretty high.

You sneaky dog.

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
Starting your thread with "I know a guy" is such a passé way of saying "I'm gonna do this, what do you guys think?"  ::) ::)

You see... I know somebody that knows somebody... who's brother's uncle's cousin....

It makes much more sense to sell the engine (ebay for the best bucks) and if you want something like it, get one from the proceeds... but just not sandcast.  The whole sandcast mystique adds some fun to our little hobby... doesn't it?   

To a degree, I almost don't care about the sandcast "fakes" if they cannot be easily determined to be fakes.  If enough effort is made to make a good fake, it'll have to have a bunch of expensive parts (there are "tells" everywhere).  It's similar to the old GMs.  Some of them can be "faked" to the point no one could determine otherwise and some cannot (due to VIN vagueries or lack thereof).  Any of these doggies with original documentation are worth more and for good reason. 

If I were to get another '69 SS Camaro or old big block Chevelle, it would almost certainly be a fake just to keep costs down. 

Representing a fake as real (especially when you're trying to sell it) is kind of whole 'nuther kettle a' fish. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:51 am »
I think the odds of this being a current forum member trying to remain anonymous is pretty high.

You sneaky dog.

I kinda thought that too.  Maybe someone just trying to stir up a little #$%*. Some people just need to have a little drama in their lives...  ::) ;)
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »
Does it matter? What do you think?
Yes, it matters.

I think he is a politician.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

passing through

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 12:00:51 pm »
No seriously, I do know the guy and the story is true. I'm not trying to start anything. I don't approve and now i guess I know you guys don't either. To me this comes under the category of doing anything to have a sandcast but it's not honest.  Kind of a let down actually.

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »
I used to own a couple of Corvettes.  People were having "counterfeit" body tags made so they could have the options they wanted and still "look" authentic.  The running joke was
"Of the 3,754 1967 L78 Corvettes made, 5,000 still exist today!"
Changing a serial # is just WRONG!
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen

Offline markb

• When I finish my current project I might be a
  • Master
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »
No seriously, I do know the guy and the story is true. I'm not trying to start anything. I don't approve and now i guess I know you guys don't either. To me this comes under the category of doing anything to have a sandcast but it's not honest.  Kind of a let down actually.

What's the motor number?  Then we can at least watch out for it.
1969 CB750 sandcast #97 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1969 CB750 sandcaxt #576 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1553 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #1990 - Sold
1969 CB750 sandcast #5383 restored - Sold Restoration thread link
1970 CB750 K0 restored - Sold
2010 H-D Tri Glide Ultra Classic (Huh?)

passing through

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 12:18:03 pm »
I will have to check my email but I do know it's on the sandcast only list or whatever that list is.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 12:43:39 pm »
No seriously, I do know the guy and the story is true. I'm not trying to start anything. I don't approve and now i guess I know you guys don't either. To me this comes under the category of doing anything to have a sandcast but it's not honest.  Kind of a let down actually.

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until there's reason to believe otherwise, and it doesn't really matter to me anyway.  Please do post any info you have to help anybody you can avoid this scam.   

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 12:45:33 pm »
The moderators could know :)  ...IP tracking. 
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »
its not only wrong/stupid,its also against the law.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »
Changing a serial # is just WRONG!

Yep, its fraud and it could cost you a stint in the big house.....Don't do it.
Actually it is a pretty amateur attempt to bodge up a sandcast frame, first off , how does he know the number he invents isn't currently being used? and, no frame numbers match the engine, they were always out of sequence and again , its fraud.....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 07:48:50 pm »
I knew a guy years ago that built a very nice chopper. It turned out the serial number on the motor had been altered. He was able to avoid "receiving stolen property" charges, but the motor was confiscated and destroyed.   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....