Author Topic: I got 99 problems and a coil failure is all of them.  (Read 11205 times)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Re: My Dyna-S is, leaking?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 08:19:32 am »
Terry and Ofreen, sounds like yours are from the stone age when things were made better.  ;D   But as HondaMan stated with the new production one's there seems to be major problems.  

To conclude that Dyna has major problems based on what is read here seems like a big stretch.  Have you got any other evidence that there are ongoing quality control problems with the Dyna?  No axe to grind here, I just like to see accurate info put out there.  Dynas have an excellent reliability record.  There obviously are no inherent design problems, heat problems or otherwise.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:46 am »
I don't mean to suggest Dyna is having any inherent design problems. My comments are coming from the wider electronics market, where suppliers of the semiconductor parts and pieces seem to be undergoing radical changes because of our global economic issues.

In my own "little world", where I build control systems for automated machinery, custom circuit boards for customers and (of course) Transistorized Ignitions, I have seen a BIG jump in out-of-the-box failures in the last 2 years. These have all been component failures, i.e., semiconductor pieces like transistors and integrated circuits. There are only a handful of manufacturers of these parts in the world, most of which are on the Pacific Rim. It's the parts that are coming from the Chinese-owned or Chinese-influenced factories, who make semiconductors for many of the brands, that are showing these failures. More than 97% of the failed components I have found since 2008 are Chinese-made.

Since Dyna is, like everyone else, at the mercy of those vendors, I suspect there may be an invisible quality issue with some of their triggers, which is resulting in these failures. It literally can be as simple as a bad (unchanged, as in poor maintenance) air filter in a silicon processing compartment where the raw silicon is made that happens to end up in these parts. That's all it takes to affect hundreds of components further down their processes.

Dyna has always been pretty good about replacing triggers (and sometimes boxes) if they decide it's their problem. I don't think I've heard much complaint from anyone in that regard.

I personally just got tired of switching back to a points plate on the side of the road when my Dynas (that's plural) failed on a ride, which led to the gadget I now offer.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »
Good news: I sent Dyna my ignitions and they looked at both sets and said they both tested good? They seemed unconcerned with the heat. They should be back here in 2 days.

Bad news: So that must mean that something is messed up on on my side. No idea what it is but I guess I will check everything.

When I get them back I will install everything step by step. Re-check all the grounds blah blah blah. I am going to take a lot of photos so if I miss something someone might catch it. Dyna was very helpful.

And Hondaman, sorry the whole engine thing is slacking. I finally found a hot rodded motor so that drained me money wise for a while. At this rate might show up with the whole bike!
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »
They seemed unconcerned with the heat.
No disrespect meant towards Dyna, but when I worked as a production electronics test tech, we always ran a 24 hour heat test at 122 F. One error, or in your case, miss-fire, would have failed the test.
Semiconductors, as well as conductors, like coils of copper wire, are affected by heat, but semiconductors are more susceptible to heat related damage than simple coils.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 03:01:26 pm »
I'm guessing that if Dyna said they're fine, then they're fine. I've had nothing but excellent service from them, they don't fcuk around with faulty items, I told them I had a Dyna 3 with what "might" be a faulty ignitor box and they told me just to send them my old unit and 65 bucks and they'd send me out a shiny new Dyna S to replace it. You can't get much better than that. ;)
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »
I'm guessing that if Dyna said they're fine, then they're fine. I've had nothing but excellent service from them, they don't fcuk around with faulty items, I told them I had a Dyna 3 with what "might" be a faulty ignitor box and they told me just to send them my old unit and 65 bucks and they'd send me out a shiny new Dyna S to replace it. You can't get much better than that. ;)

Yeah, I was very pleased with their customer service.
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »
GOD DAMN IT.

I read and I read and I read and I tested and I tested everything meticulously. I properly tested the newer Dyna-S that I had got back from them. The first time I switched the coil signal wires (to fire the coil with the other module) I must have missed something or whatever because when I did it this time, no fire from the coil even with a signal from the pick up. The Dyna seems to be working fine.  ::) Something else is the problem.

I have not re-re-tested the coil off the bike but I think it be my true problem, at this point anyways. The coil in question has power and has signal from the pick-ups. Checked AT the terminals of the coil. Yet no spark. Its my fault for not double checking it the first place. Instead of spending 150 bucks on a new plate I could have got another coil. Dyna probably thinks I am an idiot. So now what if the coil is bad? Hey Dyna remember me..?  >:(

So how do I bench test this coil? If it is the problem, WHY. Why would it arrrrrrghghghsdajl

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:51:24 pm by Shenanigans »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:57 pm »
Spend some more money and buy some Dyna coils and wires mate, why do half a job? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2010, 10:07:48 pm »
Spend some more money and buy some Dyna coils and wires mate, why do half a job? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Already done there Terry, Green 3ohm and some of their nice wires. 

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »

So how do I bench test this coil?

I use a point-type Ford distributor to bench test. Bring your coil when you come to pick up the oil cooler. ;)
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:14 pm »
Sorry mate, so you're saying that the new Dyna coils aren't working? I've never heard of that before, if you've got power to the coils and a signal as well, you should have a big fat blue spark. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 10:22:03 pm »
I got these coils about 3 years ago, maybe 18000 miles on them total. They are not out of the box new.

I am not going to make any more assumption but I am reading up on how to test the coils right now.

And Scottly I might just do that if I cant figure it out tonight. I really wanted to ride up there but I guess its not going to happen. Will you be around tomorrow in the AM? like 8:30-9:30 ish?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:28:50 pm by Shenanigans »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:31 pm »
How about 10:30 ish?

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2010, 10:53:18 pm »
How about 10:30 ish?

Gonna have to wait until Sunday if thats alright, I wont have anywhere to be Sunday as opposed to tomorrow. Might be nice to sleep in too...

I tested the coils via this post: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=5752.msg8383#msg8383

and my readings were this.

Continuity between the two "gozinta" wire posts.

NO continuity between the two "gozouta" wires

and about 3 ohms of resistance between the two gozinta wires (if I measured right) aka 3ohm coils?

I have the cheap harbor freight meter...

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:25 pm »
LOL, had to read up on the "gozinta" and "gozouta" technical terms. Might need to set your meter to a more sensitive (more ohms) setting for the gozoutza readings: I really didn't read that deep. In any case, compare your readings to the other, "good" coil.
Sunday is fine, but needs to be 11:30ish; let me know ahead of time. Also, it might help if you bring both coils, and your meter, too..

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
Re: My Dyna-S is, fine? Coils coils coils?
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2010, 03:27:33 pm »
So I have read that I cant really test the coil out of the bike? I cant do the "function" test off the bike? I tried and got nothing but right now I dont have to good a track record of doing things right...

Edit: both coils are testing the same.  :-\

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:35:51 pm by Shenanigans »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:34 pm »
To do a dynamic bench test, all you need is a set of points with a condenser, a 12V battery, and 2 spark plugs. Does your 750 have points? You could just hook the coil up to it to test.

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2010, 07:20:58 pm »
To do a dynamic bench test, all you need is a set of points with a condenser, a 12V battery, and 2 spark plugs. Does your 750 have points? You could just hook the coil up to it to test.

I just so happen to have an extra points plate infront of me. So I just hook up the battery to one "in" terminal and the points to the other in terminal? How do the plugs ground though? Should I touch the thread together?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:52 pm »
The 12V+ connects to the same terminal on the coil as the stock black wire, and the other coil lead is connected to the points. The point plate is connected to the neg batt. To ground the plugs, lay them on a piece of aluminum foil, that is also connected to neg on the batt. When the points are opened, you should get a spark. If you open the points with your finger, you may get a shock! :o

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:08 pm »
Well, I rewired all the wires to the coil and then double checked power AT the terminals. Took the terminal bolts out to make sure there was no corrosion. Checked all the grounds. Put them back on, charged the battery, signal AT the coil. Power AT the coil. Did a dynamic test by turning the power on and off. Nothing. Nice spark from 2-3 NOTHING from 1-4. What the hell. UGH.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:29:56 pm by Shenanigans »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23:05 pm »

So how do I bench test this coil?

I use a point-type Ford distributor to bench test. Bring your coil when you come to pick up the oil cooler. ;)

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »
Its the coil. I don't know why it failed but its for sure the coil. It refuses to spark. I dug out an old stock coil and that worked fine. Tested the 3ohm coil on the bike with another set of fresh wires and then off the bike. 100% sure, I wonder what Dyna will say...

Anyone have 1 green (3ohm) Dyna coil for sale?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:35:59 pm by Shenanigans »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: I got 99 problems and a coil failure is all of them.
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »
Well, at least you know now. :(

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2010, 09:21:22 pm »
Its the coil. I don't know why it failed but its for sure the coil. It refuses to spark. I dug out an old stock coil and that worked fine. Tested the 3ohm coil on the bike with another set of fresh wires and then off the bike. 100% sure, I wonder what Dyna will say...

Anyone have 1 green (3ohm) Dyna coil for sale?

Send it back to Dyna mate, I'll bet they look after you! ;D

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
Re: I got 99 problems and a coil failure is all of them.
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2010, 11:12:50 pm »
At least another week without the bike.

I will send it off to them as soon as I can. I feel kinda bad since I JUST sent them the 2 ignitions.

Hey Scottly will around noon tomorrow work?