Author Topic: CB350F - Cafe in the Living Room  (Read 15251 times)

Offline cdoggy81

• Enthusiast
Re: CB350F Living Room Build
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:10 pm »
NICE!!!

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 09:53:31 am »
Since most of the parts of my bike were in good condition, I decided to rebuild the factory rear shocks to save some money until I can upgrade them to better units.

Taking them apart was a pretty simple process - requires two people but it is pretty easy to remove the retainers if you get someone to compress the spring with their hands.  Beer helps with this process.

The bodies and springs were soaked in a water/simple green solution and scrubbed with a nylon brush.  All of the rubber appeared to be in good condition so I left them as is.  I did strip the retainers and respray them with duplicolor engine silver, following my general paint steps (strip, acetone, prime, color, bake).

Overall they came out pretty nice.  They should work until I can afford some cool looking vintage shocks, maybe something with some remote reservoirs.

1972 CB350F - Who needs TV?  I have a motorcycle in my living room! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67528.0

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 10:08:40 am »
Last night I decided to tackle the rear brake and it's connection to the rearset.  I decided that I would hook the rearset rod into the rear factory braking system.  I did this for a number of reasons, one being that I wanted to retain the factory brake switch.  The rear brake on the bike always worked well and I didn't want to mess with the geometry of the rear brake, nor did I want to start bending custom brake linkages.

My order from Fast From the Past arrived last night, so I decided that I would get everything sorted out.  The rearsets are from an R1 - another super cheap ebay score.  I used some 3/4 spacers from the hardware store to give the rearsets room to function (ie, they won't be binding on anything).  

I took the brake return spring, cut it down to size and mounted the FFTP brake arm on to the factory arm mounting point.  Pics might describe this better.

I then took a propane torch and a hacksaw and cut down the factory return spring so that I could make a loop around the extra "arm" of the FFTP brake arm.  I used the torch the heat and bend spring around the arm to provide constant tension so that the rearset arm will return on its own.

Here is a completed shot of the whole thing:

Thanks go out to my buddy "The Admiral" for helping me with this.  You can always trust a man who rides a Ducati and carries around a pair of welding gloves in his backpack with a 6 pack of 312.

I am going to have the spring replated at this point as the torch did a number on the previously nice looking spring.  No matter.  At the rate my plater moves, it will come back looking nice, although I will probably be filing for social security before I get it back.

Also part of last nights activities were testing out my new battery.  I managed to run down a very, very small battery with 130 CCA.  It is a 6 amp hour battery.  I had some concerns as to whether or not this would be enough to start the bike.  Unfortunately, the battery box has already been built, so this was kinda my last ditch attempt at getting a battery that will work.  I did test if out by jumping it directly to the starter after dumping some oil in the cylinders.  Low and behold, it turned over.  I was really relieved as I was having nightmares about this little battery not starting the bike.

Here is the little battery posing with a 12mm socket.  Like I said, pretty damn tiny.

The bike looked so good this morning, I decided to post a pic of it in the morning rays:

Tonight's mission is to tackle the rats nest of wires growing out the tail of my bike.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:45:27 pm by wingman »
1972 CB350F - Who needs TV?  I have a motorcycle in my living room! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67528.0

Offline le_sterls

• Comic book
  • Enthusiast
  • Well than...
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 10:23:17 am »
Certainly one of the most interesting and most detailed build threads I've seen. Love the way the bike looks thus far. Better yet your doing it in your living room. I need a place of my own... My old man would lose it if I tried to pull something like this. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on the progress.
That's what I'd like to hear.
'77 CB550k - running... For now...

Offline Slams77

• Enthusiast
  • Naturally Aspirated
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »
Hey, 5’5” isn’t that short, (as I just realized that two of my teenage boys are now taller than I am) well maybe just a little.  I saw this for the first time last night and that color scheme is awesome!  I also like the way the tail section matches up with the tank.  And of course you can’t go wrong with clip-ons.  That is going to be one tough looking build when completed.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 01:22:15 pm »
Nice build Wingman!  Looks killer!

Where are you baking your pieces?  Not in the kitchen, I hope?

Gersh
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 01:47:43 pm »

Gersh

Yup, in the kitchen.  I just wait until the landlady leaves and then I do my baking.  It usually doesn't smell until after about 45 minutes and the odor is completely gone by 2 hours.  If she comes back mid-bake, I just say that I am cleaning the oven.  She must think I have the cleanest oven known to man.

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »
Awesome!
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 03:26:30 pm »

Gersh

I don't think that it makes anything taste bad.  I still cook frozen pizzas in it.  No sickness yet.  Ask me in 20 years, I might have a different answer for you.

Offline dagersh

• Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 08:56:05 am »
I hope not!

Looking forward to more postings.
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:54 am »
Quick update for now - I got some pics of my wheels that I sent off to TAS Motorsports to be built.  Those guys are top notch.  Their work ethic is second to none - they email me at 11:30 at night to send me pics of my wheels - helps that I am up that late working on the bike, but hey, I love the dedication.  They are a couple of hours away, but their prices and quality of workmanship make shipping things to them a great deal.  Right now, they are waiting on some rubber, but the wheels have been built and trued.  I had the hubs and rims powdercoated black, had the spokes zinc plated and had the nipples yellow zinc plated.  I dropped in some sealed bearings, added a new front retainer and I think they will make the bike.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:12:36 am by wingman »

Offline camelman

• Man... Myth... Legend
  • Master
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 08:50:13 am »
Those wheels look good.  Did you have alloy rims put on?  If so, then can you do me a favor and ask them to weigh the wheels prior to installing the tires?  I am trying to compile a list of wheel weights for these bikes with different hub/rim combos.

Thanks,
Camelman
1972 350f rider: sold
1972 350f/466f cafe: for sale
1977 CB400f cafe:sold
1975 CB400f rider: sold
1970 CB750 K0 complete bike: sold
2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 rider

We've got to cut it off... and then come down on rockets.  (quoted from: seven minutes of terror)

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »
Those wheels look good.  Did you have alloy rims put on?  If so, then can you do me a favor and ask them to weigh the wheels prior to installing the tires?  I am trying to compile a list of wheel weights for these bikes with different hub/rim combos.

Thanks,
Camelman

They aren't alloy rims on there.  Those are the factory rims.  The chrome was removed and they were powdercoated black.  The spokes and nipples are all off the original wheels.  My bike had been stored indoors so rust was minimal.

I have no idea on the weight - USPS said the sum total of all the pieces for shipping was 36 lbs - but that included a lot of boxing materials as well.

Wingman

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:27 am »
Started in this weekend with the goal of getting the electrical sorted out.  I didn't have any electrical problems with the bike when it was operational but I did plan quite a few upgrades.  First on deck was the Hondaman ignition for better performance and spark.  The second was a single unit Oregon Motorcycles regulator/rectifier.  I was going to build my one based on instructions that I found here, but when I found a reduced priced prototype on ebay, I grabbed it and added it to my stash of parts.  I also decided that I was going to run all LEDs in the bike wherever possible.  The taillight, turn signals and neutral and oil light will all be LED.  I am also upgrading all of the hand controls to CBR600F4 controls.  They are pretty cool and have a great headlight cut switch when you hit the starter - which I think will be necessary for the small battery to crank the starter as I have removed the kick start.

On to the pics!

I decided to do a little bit of restoration on my gas cap.  I had it rechromed but the inside was complete mess and there was on way I was going to be able to get a new gasket onto it in the condition that it was in.  I gently pried at the four mounting areas to remove the gasket area from the cap itself.  A small punch and a little patience and it comes right out.  As you can see, mine were really rusted.

A word of warning on the following - Don't do this in your house if possible and whatever you do, don't use a good set of pots and pans for the following.  If you live with an S/O send them shopping, open all the doors in the house and avoid breathing this crap.  I used oxalic acid to remove the rust from these parts.  The acid is essential wood bleach, which you can get at any good hardware store.  The cool thing about the acid is that it won't eat chrome or paint.  

I mixed up some of the acid - two table spoons and then added some hot water.  I stirred until dissolved and the added the parts.  I set the stove on very low heat as the purpose it to help with the chemical reaction between the acid and the rust.

After about 30 minutes of cooling on the stove, I pulled the parts out and washed them off really well and dried them with a towel as best as I could.  I then placed them in the warm over (150 degrees) to dry out any remaining water that I couldn't reach.

They are not perfect but at least I know that my gas cap will not be adding little bits of rust in the gas and clogging up my carbs.

I ordered and received a stainless steel brake line from Z1 (great company, superfast shipping and amazing customer service).  I mounted up all the hardware including the CBR master cylinder which I think looks a lot better on the clipons than the original factory equipment.  I had previously had my caliper powder coated a gloss black to go with the wheels.  It will be an interesting color combination, the black, red and silver.

The master cylinder contains it's on micro switch so I was able to run just a single line to the caliper, which cleans up the front of the bike a lot.  Sorry for the blurry pic, my macro function seemed to be a little off.

I needed a good way to clean up the caliper arm which was covered in Honda clear coat.  I applied some Easy Off oven cleaner (love the lemon smell!) and then took it to my wire wheel on my grinder using a brass brush.  It cleaned up to the point where it is sparkling and fits right in with the polished lowers on my forks.

A view from the top.  I custom wired in some 10mm LEDs for neutral and oil pressure - who needs high beams and turn signals?  This is a cafe racer!  I used a glue gun to further mount in the lights to make sure that they won't come loose and to make sure that they are waterproof.  I am not sure on how happy I am with the mount for the tach as it sticks up a little farther than I would like.  I am working on another way to lower it.  It internal lights for the tach are still run on regular bulbs but I would love to replace with the LED lights.  Anybody have a plug in solution for those weird sized blubs?

The headlight unit is an Emgo - I know - the cheap stuff, but the light looks good and is a H4 bulb so at least I will be able to be seen at night.  

I finalized the rest linkage with a hogpodge of custom parts.  It wasn't the easiest making these things work, although I am glad that I decided to do it.  It makes the bike a million times more comfortable with the clipons.  I am still waiting for the rear brake return spring, hence the limp pedal.

The shift side was a little more complicated but got everything worked out as best as I could.

It worked out pretty well.  The shift feeling is firm and the transmission has a very positive feel.

Waiting on my wheels now so that I get can the exhaust on and get going with the bigger part of the wiring.  I still need to put the carbs back on the rack and get them sunk again.  And sort the wiring.  And get the seat back from the upholstery.  And finish all million of the little details that really make the bike.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.  I love this forum and it has been a great source of information for my build.

I leave you with this :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:17:23 am by wingman »

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
Re: CB350F Living Room Build: Hope to Break Out Soon!
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:28 am »
I am looking for a set of rear view mirrors to complete this project.  I have a set of bar end mirrors which I am not sure if they will fit the low slung profile of the bike.  Here they are on version 1.0:

They worked with the drag bars - although it was nicknamed "the moose" when they were position up on top of the bar.  I have a small mirror for a bicycle that I thought would work on the left side, but I am not sure if I should go with a single mirror or double mirrors with the clip ons.

The mirror I thought about using was this:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Mirror-Handlebar-End-Bike-Mirror-3rd-Eye-Mirror_W0QQitemZ300408473321QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f1bd86e9

I already have it as I was going to mount it on my bicycle.

Thoughts?

Offline Holdingfast

• It's all up in the air.
Re: CB350F Living Room Build: Hope to Break Out Soon!
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
w o w. what an amazing build! your bike will be amazing! that seat bump is looking insanely awesome!
inspiring!

Offline leogriss

Re: CB350F - Cafe in the Living Room
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »
As a cb350f owner, I gotta say I LOVE this!

Can't wait to see red&silver&black combination!

Please keep up the good work

Subscribedddddd!!

Offline lordmember1969

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 01:31:11 am »
Great looking bike :) :)
1977 CB 750 SS Cafe
1977 CB 750 Basket case
1971 Mustang Grande
1928 Model A Pheathon Hot Rod
1977 Harley Custom FXE

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70333.0

91greg325i

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 10:48:51 am »
Great looking bike. I have a 350f that is going to be undergoing the same basic thing soon (I know, i'm starting a project during the summer  :( ). Any updates?

Offline havnjero

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 08:03:36 pm »
I'm watching this unfold as well as everyone else.
good looking project, and helpful/amusing documentation for the rest of us.
I'm sure you'll find some good mirrors, just do a bit more searching.

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 07:53:57 am »
Quick update:  I am still working on sorting the electrical.  It is kinda hard to do without a seat section as there isn't a lot of room to run wires and make sure they are "hidden" at the same time.  I hope to be finished tonight.

Matthew at TAS said my wheels/tires should be here tomorrow.  I hope to get them mounted on the bike soon.  They should look great.

The plater I used lost my "custom" brake return spring and I have to make a new one.  Fortunately Owned came through with another stock one so I will recreate it tonight and have it replated tomorrow.

I am shooting for getting it started this weekend.  Pics to follow later tonight.

Offline wingman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:58 am »
Finally got all the wiring sorted out.  The newer CBR controls include a headlight kill switch during starting that was kinda perplexing for a minute.  I also chased down some wiring problems to dirty connectors in the ignition switch.  All of the wiring was done using the factory connectors and crimping tool from vintage connections.  I wanted the factory look and compatibility of the stock harness.  The only thing left to do with the wiring is to hardwire the Hondaman ignition.  The idea behind the updates was to create a more reliable bike using modern components.  Every light on the bike has been converted to LED, minus the headlight which is an H4 bulb (and damn bright at that).  All the connections have been either recrimped or cleaned and after final wrapping should be water tight.

Here she is in all her afternoon glory - headlight puking wires just waiting for me to figure out.
[img width= height=]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_e2VkMmNNCug/S8U2VoUm0YI/AAAAAAAADL0/qX79cAmaDOg/s800/DSC_0001.JPG[/img]

After a bit of headscratching, I noticed that Honda uses similar wiring colors but not all colors are the same.  If you try this swap, get out the multimeter and start figuring wires.  The bike now runs with the headlight on all the time (except when starting).

[img width= height=]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_e2VkMmNNCug/S8U2Wk8T9dI/AAAAAAAADMA/lDn4tyfMYn4/s800/DSC_0004.JPG[/img]

Here is a shot from the top - I still have to mount the tach which also uses LED bulbs for illumination.  It is sunk down in the tree to give a sleeker look.

[img width= height=]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e2VkMmNNCug/S8U2ZOMOusI/AAAAAAAADMk/ZEwicYa5oNs/s800/DSC_0013.JPG[/img]

Here is an "after" shot of the rear return spring, modified with hacksaw and torch to work with the factory rear brake.  I just got a call from the plater and he said he is done with the spring.  He was able to plate in 1.5 hours and he did it for free, which is nice as this one looks a little better than my first spring that was lost.

[img width= height=]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_e2VkMmNNCug/S8U2Xivo-MI/AAAAAAAADMQ/ksdQla1wEOM/s800/DSC_0008.JPG[/img]

Here is a head shot of the bike - Last one for the post I promise.  Still a lot more work to go before I (hopefully) fire it up this weekend.

[img width= height=]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_e2VkMmNNCug/S8U2aUSQaiI/AAAAAAAADM8/UdRV25eVZXQ/s800/DSC_0019.JPG[/img]

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 08:36:03 am »
seriously.....
your my hero

Offline dagersh

• Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 09:40:19 am »
Awesome!
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 10:37:13 am »
how hard was lacing the wheel?
i feel comfortable truing and dishing it......