Author Topic: Transistorized Ignitions, aka Hondaman Ignition in Dual, Single, and now Triple!  (Read 123512 times)

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
What is the difference between your unit and a Dyna Ignition Booster?
Just saw the Dyna in a catalogue and thought they copied Hondaman ;D
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
What is the difference between your unit and a Dyna Ignition Booster?
Just saw the Dyna in a catalogue and thought they copied Hondaman ;D

That unit from Dyna is the old Dyna III "booster" for their old Dyna S that only handled 2 amps. Some folks decided to try it with points instead and discovered it worked, sort of...then Dyna started marketing it that way, around 1990.

Mine is a bit different inside: it tunes itself to match the coils being used, in a dynamic way. This makes the coils run cooler and produce ALL the spark voltage they should, through the whole RPM range. I seldom talk about this, but those who install it notice it right away in the form of better idling and smoother top end. The Dyna unit is just a transistor switch.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
'bout to order 4 hinge pins from your site unless you prefer a direct paypal...

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
You could just send a check? It's better for the forums, as Paypal won't take a big chunk of it. I send the proceeds above my costs back to the forum support, for the screw kits.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
You could just send a check? It's better for the forums, as Paypal won't take a big chunk of it. I send the proceeds above my costs back to the forum support, for the screw kits.
That's what I was getting at. Which payment method would cost you the least in fees.
That sounds good to me. If you want to email me an address that'd be great.
charlesedwardhamiltoniii (at) gmail (dot) com

550rider

Mark, What a great thread.  I read it from the begining to end.  I just bought a 1977 CB550K Sunday and am looking to get it in top shape.  It runs well but needs the stock airbox back on (only runs w/ choke on now w/ the velocity stack).  I want your Transistorized Ignition.  Since this is a new bike to me, what should I look for to make sure there is no aftermarket on it that might cause issues?  I did find a switch behind the side plate that turns the headlight on and off.  I guess that is to save power??? 

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
Mark, What a great thread.  I read it from the begining to end.  I just bought a 1977 CB550K Sunday and am looking to get it in top shape.  It runs well but needs the stock airbox back on (only runs w/ choke on now w/ the velocity stack).  I want your Transistorized Ignition.  Since this is a new bike to me, what should I look for to make sure there is no aftermarket on it that might cause issues?  I did find a switch behind the side plate that turns the headlight on and off.  I guess that is to save power???

Mark will jump in to help but until that comes along I'll make an attempt at some info for ya...  I'm a very happy user of his ignitions.  They do so much to help the bike run better.  In terms of your headlight, the best setup is to use a relay to do the heavy lifting of the power to the headlight instead of forcing the power through your ignition switch.  The ignition switches (and especially the aftermarket or replacement versions) can fail over time because of the big load of the headlight.  You might also consider taking the load of the coils off of the ignition switch. 

This is all done by operating relays with the ignition switch that control the coils and the headlight thereby removing most of the load from the ignition switch and allowing you to run a "larger, more reliable pipe" of power to those components.  When I say "larger and more reliable", I mean switches that were intended to take that load (or more) and heavy enough gauge wire. 

Some will argue that the factory setup is adequate but these 40 year old bikes are not in "factory condition".  Even in factory condition (all connectors and switches in perfect condition), I think you'll experience higher voltage at your coils and headlight (more spark and brighter headlight) using a relay system. 

It so happens that Mark sells kits to make this conversion (or you can do it on your own) and your ignition switch will be "happier" for it. 

John
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...

You might wish to post a new thread to ask those sort of questions, as the answers would overwhelm this one. I'm sure we'd all jump in to help with those details there. Here, it will get ignored because this particular post is just about the Transistor Ignitions themselves. You can always order one by PM'ing me, or by going to the website at www.SOHC4shop.com.

So, go to the "Home" section, then pick the "SOHC4/Bikes" section, start by clicking the "New Topic" button, and go for it! :)

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
Hi Mark.  I got the ignition unit for my 1971 Kawasaki H1A triple.  You must be joking?!!!  How the hell did you fit all the components in that tiny little box?!  Wow!  I will fit it this weekend.  Happy happy, joy joy!

Trevor
Melbourne
Australia
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Hi Mark.  I got the ignition unit for my 1971 Kawasaki H1A triple.  You must be joking?!!!  How the hell did you fit all the components in that tiny little box?!  Wow!  I will fit it this weekend.  Happy happy, joy joy!

Trevor
Melbourne
Australia

Those Triples are a squeeze! It takes me about 3 evenings to assemble one. :o

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
I've just fitted my ignition..thanks Mark. I haven't run my bike yet because the tank is primed ready for painting.
It looks very robust. I have a smaller than standard battery so the module fits in the holder alongside the battery.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
I've just fitted my ignition..thanks Mark. I haven't run my bike yet because the tank is primed ready for painting.
It looks very robust. I have a smaller than standard battery so the module fits in the holder alongside the battery.

Now, THAT's a cool idea! What kind of battery is it? My little 350F needs one, too.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
It's a sealed battery from a Bandit I believe. It goes in the holder on it's side.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
It's a sealed battery from a Bandit I believe. It goes in the holder on it's side.

OK, now I'll have to go and research those. Looks like a good idea: let me know how the electric starter holds up with it?

Offline Mooshie

• Expert
Hi Mark:  Just sent you an email (want to make certain you access your emails).  I purchased my ignition on 6/22/11.
1976 CB550F
Standard disclaimer: Remember I am just a girl--so be nice fellows!

Offline Madman9050

at my job i have access to literally piles of honda and suzuki outboard coil-on-plug units would it be possible to adapt this box to work with those on my 750 or would i even need the box
when your vision gets blurry and the white lines come together when your heart is pounding and you cant take anymore,catch another gear

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
at my job i have access to literally piles of honda and suzuki outboard coil-on-plug units would it be possible to adapt this box to work with those on my 750 or would i even need the box

That would depend largely on the resistance of those coils. The CB750 power budget can withstand coils down to 3 ohms per pair of cylinders, but this high current system can melt the RUN/OFF switch contacts over time. Most coil-on-plug setups are for CDI electronic drivers, and not Kettering systems: i.e., they are not intended to be saturated with current and then 'dumped' with opening points. Instead, they are typically very low-ohm primaries that make a spark when the short power pulse hits them, instead of the other way around.

So, check the resistance, and maybe hook one up to 12 volts for about 1 minute to see if it gets hot. If so, it's not the right type of coil for this application.

Offline Madman9050

Thanks for answering my question I'll check into the details this coming week
when your vision gets blurry and the white lines come together when your heart is pounding and you cant take anymore,catch another gear

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Update on my Hondaman Ignition. I've noticed the bike is very easy to start now, I rarely need the choke and If I do it's very very little. Pretty unusual in my climate. I'm very impressed so far.

Battery seems to be faring up well Mark tho I haven't ridden it at night yet.

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Update on my Hondaman Ignition. I've noticed the bike is very easy to start now, I rarely need the choke and If I do it's very very little. Pretty unusual in my climate. I'm very impressed so far.

Battery seems to be faring up well Mark tho I haven't ridden it at night yet.

This unit only uses 0.1 amp extra power from the system, so most bikes handle it well (even the little Singles, like CB100/125, or the old Hawk twins, like 250/305, 350, 450, etc.).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:19:56 pm by HondaMan »

Offline Steve_K

• Expert
I brought my ignition last year, but my build took longer to get to this point.   I love the way it works!!  Most pleased.

BTW I have Mark's book and used his replacement fuse block,  all quality items.
Thank you, Mark, for your products.
Steve
Steve_K

76 CB 550, 73CB750, 86 GSX-R750, 16 Slingshot
Old rides:305 Honda, CL350, 74 CB550
 05 SV1000S, 88 CBR600,92 VFR, 88 Hawk GT, 96 Ducati 900SS, 98 Kaw ZX6R, SV650

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
I brought my ignition last year, but my build took longer to get to this point.   I love the way it works!!  Most pleased.

BTW I have Mark's book and used his replacement fuse block,  all quality items.
Thank you, Mark, for your products.
Steve

Glad to help! :)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Mark,

I bought one of your ignitions and haven't installed it. It occurred to me that the crappy Daichi ?spelling" points that I bought before I learned they were crappy might not be needed. Haven't started the bike and been putting off opening the points to even see, but should I just run some 400 wet/dry between the closed points and then clean them with a spray solvent like break cleaner when they are opened to give them a decent "new" surface and then adjust them for proper gap and install your ignition box with new condensors. Bike to the best of my knowledge has sat since possibly late 80s...

Please advise your recommendations for this situation...

Thanks!

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Mark,

I bought one of your ignitions and haven't installed it. It occurred to me that the crappy Daichi ?spelling" points that I bought before I learned they were crappy might not be needed. Haven't started the bike and been putting off opening the points to even see, but should I just run some 400 wet/dry between the closed points and then clean them with a spray solvent like break cleaner when they are opened to give them a decent "new" surface and then adjust them for proper gap and install your ignition box with new condensors. Bike to the best of my knowledge has sat since possibly late 80s...

Please advise your recommendations for this situation...

Thanks!

David

Hi, David!
Merry Christmas! :D

First, just make sure the old points conduct. If you have a needle file or points file, smooth of the rust (if it is there) and set the gaps to .014" when on the high side of the points cam. Then open the points and spray some Brake Cleaner or electrical contact cleaner on their contacts, clean them up with a dry rag. That will probably be enough to get it started so you can then check timing with a timing light and get it set up right.

We're seeing that old points work better than new ones, until the new ones have about 100-200 miles on them without the box connected. The goo that they use to protect the contacts is the culprit: that stuff is HARD to remove. I've been cleaning it off with a points file dipped in lacquer thinner, seems to work pretty well. Still, it's not perfect, so then I have been running the engines (after rebuilds) for about 15-20 minutes in 5 minute intervals after cleaning the points, and then it seems to work.

Odd that their protectant causes the problem!