Author Topic: Transistorized Ignitions, aka Hondaman Ignition in Dual, Single, and now Triple!  (Read 138436 times)

Offline reddyvv

• Hot Shot
I'm starting to get my bikes ready for the summer and just wanted to give a shout out to Mark for his super ignition!! I bought mine in 2013 and it's still going strong.

I've probably adjusted the points 3 times in all these years, so the points wear is dramatically less. A little sloppy on the maintenance which I intend to rectify this year but hey it still idles and runs great!

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
I'm starting to get my bikes ready for the summer and just wanted to give a shout out to Mark for his super ignition!! I bought mine in 2013 and it's still going strong.

I've probably adjusted the points 3 times in all these years, so the points wear is dramatically less. A little sloppy on the maintenance which I intend to rectify this year but hey it still idles and runs great!

Thanks for the shout-out! :)
I replaced my original prototype (Serial #2) in my own bike during Covid shut-in time, after 11 years. I made a real fancy one in a blue box with locking switch and all. Just 'cuz I could and had the time? The box cost half as much as a whole normal unit! :D

The website is finally back up again (I still have to 'fix' the Transistor Ignition's price there, it went up $2). Between $2 and $5 comes back from each one to support these forums.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
hi hondaman , not sure if this is the best way to get hold of you but lets see

i have a kawasaki avenger that i am going to do a very long trip on next year . while the electronic ignition has worked fine for over 50 years its age does now worry me . i have bought all the bits to convert it to points ( the european bikes came with points standard ) but i wondered if one of your ignition boxes would work with the points .  the avenger is a two stroke twin with two sets of points 
thanks

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road

i have a kawasaki avenger that i am going to do a very long trip on next year . while the electronic ignition has worked fine for over 50 years its age does now worry me . i have bought all the bits to convert it to points ( the european bikes came with points standard ) but i wondered if one of your ignition boxes would work with the points .  the avenger is a two stroke twin with two sets of points 
thanks

I would think it works fine: I have several of them running the old Yamaha RD350 and RD400 bikes, some of those for 10 years or more. It can handle coils of 3.0 ohms or more resistance. Most of the points-type (Kettering) ignitions use 4 to 5 ohm coils anyway so it barely gets warm with those.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
i will check the coil resistance and get back to you . your ignition does seem like a good solution to my problem .

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !

thanks

Which model/year A7 do you own Simon ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
It’s a 1971

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
It’s a 1971

A7SSB scrambler-look or the A7B with low pipes ?  either one,it must be a nice rotary valve performer.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
It has the low pipes , I love it but it isn’t the best tourer . Still it’s got to get to Athens next July . Wonder how many fuel stops that is !

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
It has the low pipes , I love it but it isn’t the best tourer . Still it’s got to get to Athens next July . Wonder how many fuel stops that is !

The bike must be very nimble considering the factory gave it two steering dampers  ;) 8) 8)
Does your oil injection still function well ?

Offline eastern

Just popping in to say... Hondaman ignition now installed.  Easy peasey and dang, my bike runs better everywhere!  Thank you for a great product and service!  If anyone is on the fence, just do it.
1974 CB550K