Author Topic: clubmans again?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Lefty337

clubmans again?
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:32:15 pm »
So I know clubman bars have been discussed a thousand times on this site.  What I've been searching for and can't seem to find are the minimum size clubman bars that will fit onto a '76 CB750F without causing tank damage.

Does anybody know?

Thanks in advance,

Lefty

Offline bird

• Enthusiast
Re: clubmans again?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:15:20 am »
Dunno what you mean by minimum size? Do you mean the length of the bars? I've had flat bars, with a slight kink, and cut too much off them, not allowing enough room (straight section) for the brake to mount. Same probably applies for clubman (race/drop) bars. Just saying, think before you grab the hack-saw – there's no turning back! ^^

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:17:23 am »
If clubmans are too low for you, check out Norman Hyde M bars- they were real popular on BSAs and Triumphs back in the day.  I have some on my CL350... but no real pics yet.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Lefty337

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:45:12 am »
I am talking specifically about the width of the bars.  I've read about a lot of clubman bars hitting the tank when turned all the way and damaging the tank.  I'd rather not modify the steering stops and limit my ability to turn.

Offline MFP

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:11:56 am »
I am talking specifically about the width of the bars.  I've read about a lot of clubman bars hitting the tank when turned all the way and damaging the tank.  I'd rather not modify the steering stops and limit my ability to turn.

I run carpy's clubmans on my 76 with no mods to the steering stops--I don't have the dimensions on-hand(bike is at home) but it was easy adjusting them to where they needed to be without hitting the tank and still being comfortable.
Eric
76 CB750 Cafe project
78 CB750F new project
80 Moto Morini 500--traded

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:14:21 am »
Put bar reliefs in the tank,
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Lefty337

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 07:43:25 am »
If clubmans are too low for you, check out Norman Hyde M bars- they were real popular on BSAs and Triumphs back in the day.  I have some on my CL350... but no real pics yet.
They look ok, but I prefer the look of the Clubmans a little.

I run carpy's clubmans on my 76 with no mods to the steering stops--I don't have the dimensions on-hand(bike is at home) but it was easy adjusting them to where they needed to be without hitting the tank and still being comfortable.

from Carpy's site:
28" Width
0.8 Rise
6" Pullback
4.8 center

The ones I am looking at are:
27.5" Width
4.75" Rise
4.5" Pullback
6.5" Center

They seem like pretty different sets of bars.

I don't have equipment / money for modifying the tank unfortunately.  Otherwise I would love to do that along with some knee indents.

I guess in the end, I may have to just buy a set and see how I like them.  If I don't, just return them and accept the loss and try another set.

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:51:17 am »
They look ok, but I prefer the look of the Clubmans a little.

from Carpy's site:
28" Width
0.8 Rise
6" Pullback
4.8 center

The ones I am looking at are:
27.5" Width
4.75" Rise
4.5" Pullback
6.5" Center

They seem like pretty different sets of bars.

I don't have equipment / money for modifying the tank unfortunately.  Otherwise I would love to do that along with some knee indents.

I guess in the end, I may have to just buy a set and see how I like them.  If I don't, just return them and accept the loss and try another set.

At $30 or so it's not much of a loss - likely you'll ding them in the clamps and then they're yours forever even if you don't drill them for the controls.

Basically you just shove the bars forward enough until they won't hit the tank. The further forward the more you'll be aggressively bent over the tank to reach them.

I ended up running mine further back towards the tank. A couple holes in the stops and a few nuts and bolts fixed the hitting the tank problem though.

Using bars from CycleX
7/8 INCH BLACK CLUBMANS
      27.5" WIDE, 6.5" CENTER, RISE
            $ 28.00             # HB-0000

Offline Lefty337

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 07:28:40 am »
So I bought a set of clubmans from www.sportingforless.com (they also have an ebay store).  They came as a really nice set with bar end mirrors and new gel grips.  I installed the bars, which was a giant pain in the neck.  Apparently I made things more difficult by running the wires through the middle section of the bars.  Oh well, that's done now.

Next problem, I cannot get the damn grips to stick.  Especially the throttle grip.  I have tried the dish soap trick, the hairspray trick, 3M Spray Adhesive, and gorilla glue.  The Gorilla Glue worked the best so far but still came loose after about 20 minutes in the saddle.  The only thing that I've heard of left to try is grip tape.  Could this problem be caused by using the old sleeve?  it was pretty gunky from the old grips.  Should I try and clean them off with some Goo Gone or something before I try again?

Any ideas is appreciated.

Lefty

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:01 am »
Clean/degrease the throtle sleeve.  From any bike shop, get a tube of grip glue (ran me less than $1).  Grips = stuck like glue.  Good stuff.
Rider no. 83 on the 2013 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 228 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 70 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour

my '75 CB750 cafe build photo documentary:  looking for the Lone Stars is like playing Where's Waldo -- enjoy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157615892537535/

CB350 twin, rigid meat grinder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157627005176764/

Blip Workshop
http://www.blipworkshop.com
http://www.facebook.com/blipworkshop

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 08:09:33 am »
  Should I try and clean them off with some Goo Gone or something before I try again?

Any ideas is appreciated.

Lefty

yes getting them as clean as possible. flat smooth metal will REALLY increase the adhesion, almost like suction. and use the grip glue