Author Topic: degreeing in a cb750 cam for the best performance  (Read 12366 times)

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
degreeing in a cb750 cam for the best performance
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:54:53 am »
i have a 74 cb750k with a k6 motor, bored .75mm over. i am installing a 1977 cb750f cam as soon as my adjustable cam sprocket gets here and i was wondering about the best method to do this, where it needs to be set as well. i am running a hondaman ignition, stock carbs with needle set 2nd groove from bottom and 122.5 jets along with a k+n filter in the stock airbox (openings slightly enlarged), and a set of iridium plugs that i will do the modification that the cyclex site mentioned, 17/46 sprockets and a 110/90/18 rear tire (thought the sprockets and  tire size might  be important because of final drive ratio is affected by those 2 things) i have a degree wheel i made with the template i downloaded from someone on the forum.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:57:46 am by bucky katt »
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
Re: degreeing in a cb750 cam for the best performance
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:04:22 am »
anybody? parts are here and i want to get started but i dont want to have to take the valve cover off more than once  :P
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:39:08 am »
Hey Fuzzy,

Its a rather laborious post to explain.

Web Camshafts has a page on it.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:32:15 am »
I don't know that anyone has specs on stock cams to do degreeing with. I'd slap it in there and line up the line with the end of the tower as recommended by the shop manual.

I'd defer to Mike or HM however. Hopefully someone can find more detailed info for you.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:38:47 am »
Hey Fuzzy,

Its a rather laborious post to explain.

Web Camshafts has a page on it.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

thanks a bunch for that Tim!

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:46:33 am »
Dont know how the mark align between cams, Jerry's advice might be spot on, but what if not?

Then regretfully, a degree wheel will not be enough, you will need also a dial gauge to degree a cam with accuracy.

Another tool you'll need is a piston stopper that will let you zero in the your degree wheel with high accuracy too. you werent hoping to have it zeroed on exact TDC just by looking at the marks on the ignition, did ya?  ;)

It's easy to build it with an old spark plug form which you'll have to remove the ceramic core, tap it and screw in a bolt that should protrude say, an inch. That gets screwed into one of the plugs holes after you made sure that pisotn is not nearby.

The process after is quite long, sorry, cant find the time to type it for you but you should be able to locate the whole story googleing "degree cam".

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 02:35:46 pm »
hmmm this process is looking worse and worse every time i look at it hmmmmmmmmmm, anyone want an adjustable cam sprocket? :D ;D :D

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:59:48 pm »
The K's are what 5-35-35-5 degrees, what are the F'ers though? It's probably on the site somewhere. Just time it straight up or so the degrees of intake opening & exhaust closing are the same.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:27:46 pm »
CB750Fs '77 were Intake opens 5 BTDC,closes 40 ABDC,ex opens 40 BBDC,closes 5 ATDC,intake 0 on CB750F,75/76.Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:46:25 pm »
It all depends on what you want it to do, bucky. More high end power in a peak-ier, narrower range, or more low end at the expense of top end.
No.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:45:13 pm »
i'm thinking of setting it so that the big power strarts coming in around 4k - 4500 or so. this is a 77 750f cam and i can see by looking at it theres way more duration on it than the 75 750f cam

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »
i can live with a little less bottom end if i can get more midrange and up top, i'll likely go back to an 18/48 sprocket set up if ya'll think it's neccesary. i have the 17/46 right now
i HAD a 17/50 at first and i couldnt get but 90 mph out of it

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »
Katt,
Forget the advertised open-close numbers - use them for reference only - and degree by the lobe center method. It's the only true way to know where you're at.

That F-2 cam has 107.5 lobe centers. Yeah more duration keeps valves open longer, but once the lobes are moved away from each other (107.5 LC) you have a decreased overlap - good for emissions, but lacks top-end potential of a cam with identical lift & duration numbers ground on 104 Lobe Centers...

With it in my STOCK F'er, I've run 102 (intake) LC, big low rpm grunt and it falls on it's face before 7k. Bumped int. LC to 104, improved but still not right. 106 was much better, the butt dyno said it pulled better than at 108. Maybe at 108 it would have slightly better mph by a couple.

I ran that bike in Stock Eliminator (XH/S) 13.07@101mph with the cam set at 106 int lobe center. Top speed was 110-115 range.
And I have the record certificate to prove it.  ;D
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:09 pm »
is that top speed the top end in the 1/4 mile? or top speed out on the road. it runs almost 120 with me on it now, and i go about 370 or so.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:41:36 pm »
Bucky, if I were you, I would install the cam "straight-up", and enjoy your bike, unless you are trying to set new records by trying to second-guess the cam grinder.. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 12:49:07 am »
it's just a stock 1977 cb750f cam. the motor is still all Honda inside  :)

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:15:11 am »
If it's a stock cam Bucky, I'd go with the honda manual, there's only minute gains to be had by degreeing although the stock cams can be scribed a good few degrees out it won't hurt your ride or your experience of riding. On a harsher cam for fast street or race, I'd go with degreeing it in every time (and I do :-)). Once you've made the piston stopper like Simon suggested from an old spark plug, have a degree wheel and a dial gauge, you're well away into hours of fun working out numbers of degrees to add and subtract until you get the cam right. In a weird kind of way it's fun to do and get it spot on but with a stock cam, I'd go with stock build techniques...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »
sounds good to me then. it is a stock honda cam, just not stock for the motor it's going into  ;D

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 01:28:32 pm »
Once you've made the piston stopper like Simon suggested from an old spark plug,

LMP, freudian slipping lately ?  :)

How's you r back BTW?

Nitro, two questions (maybe I'll learn something new:) )

1. How do you obtain the desired lobe center without using the open/close figures? (@0.40 lift of course)
2. The overlap is the delta between inlet and exhaust, how do you change it in a single cam with both IN and EX on the same part?

TG 

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 02:08:22 pm »
FINALLY! i'm picking up a set of factory 4-4 pipes tomorrow. theyre 78 model pipes and there is going to be some modifying done to the baffles. i have been trying to get a set of 4 - 4 pipes for 2 damn years. i did the "happy 4 into 4 exhaust dance" in front of the wife and pastor today, convincing them that I am indeed full bore loony  ;D

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »
Once you've made the piston stopper like Simon suggested from an old spark plug,

LMP, freudian slipping lately ?  :)

How's you r back BTW?

Nitro, two questions (maybe I'll learn something new:) )

1. How do you obtain the desired lobe center without using the open/close figures? (@0.40 lift of course)
2. The overlap is the delta between inlet and exhaust, how do you change it in a single cam with both IN and EX on the same part?

TG 

Exactly. You are married to the lobe separation ground into the cam. I've talked about it before and the idea of grinding different separation angles.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 09:20:12 pm »
so, am i better off with the k6 cam? the 75 750f cam or the 77 750f cam? i do have an adjustable cam sprocket and i'm putting it in regardless of whether i can adjust the present cam anyways since i WILL get a good street cam as soon as i get some more parts sold.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 09:38:59 pm »
My vote is the 77 F. It has 5 degrees more duration.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 01:36:06 pm »
TG,
Of course you are right about the open/close # giving the LC, My thoughts were directed to a valve train geometry change giving a goofy cam number not matching the cam card. My bad!  :o
 In the overlap example, I was just pointing out the difference when a cam is ground using the same lift/duration master, but to different CL numbers. The closer the lobes, the greater the overlap. Smokey Yunick was a master at understanding how the rules DIDN'T address this!  ::)

The changes I tried worked OK for me - in my own riding situation - is all.  ;D

-
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:48:48 pm by NitroHunter »
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 10:34:32 pm »
IF i get to re-torquing head tomorrow/later today i'm going to install the 77 f2 cam and the new sprocket, installed straight up for the time being.