Author Topic: New Project Dave Kirby 400/460/4?? race bike  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Chris Tyler

New Project Dave Kirby 400/460/4?? race bike
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:32:41 am »
Hi
 New to the forum.
My Name is Chris Tyler from Eastbourne in England.
I have just collected from the CRMCC meeting at Pembrey a Dave Kirby made frame, tank & seat, rear wheel & a few odds & sods. I had the good fortune to speak to Ron Robury who informs me that Dave is alive & kicking although not really into bikes anymore. He is passing my phone number on for me, so hopefully I will be able to speak to the man himself. The tank & seat are hand made in alloy by Bob Baker who has passed away. Made to fit the frame with rolled edges to the seat & a large cut out box under the tank? I will take some photographs & post them on the forum but have only just got home. The bike would have been a formula 3 bike. A monoshoc with a Spax suspension unit. Ron believes that a few bikes were made including 3 for nettleton racing (Ron Haslam rode one) He also believe Dave only made one 500 bike as a 550 for formula 2.
Clive Stockdale tells me the 460 would be the way to go but that a 490 odd was also made. Rods have to be updated.
I have read some of the posts about the 400/4 & will be entering it alongside tel 477 in the CRMCC aircooled 500 class.
Any advice on where to get an engine from? shed 400 or tuned. advice on a front end. (I have lots of 33mm K4 forks) etc gratefully recieved. I will post photos later
all the best Chris

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
Re: New Project Dave Kirby 400/460/4?? race bike
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:20:57 am »
Chris, I can't say I know anything about Dave Kirby, much less his frames, but in terms of development, I'd personally go for a stock 400 engine from a breaker that turns over and tune it myself so you know exactly what has been done and the state of all of the internals. Otherwise, you'll never quite be sure. As for front end I'd transplant a 35mm 750 front end on. It opens up more flexibility for suspension mods and better braking with bigger discs and is all CRMC legals providing you use parts from the period of the class you're running in. Would be good to see those photos when you get a chance...best of luck. ;)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:49:12 am »
Hi Chris ,,,,,its Col Stockdale, not been called Clive for a long time !!!!!

Offline Chris Tyler

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:39:29 am »
Hi
Lordmoonpie Thanks for the advice I do tend to start stock & build. However if a kit came along I would put that away for later!!!
Col I do apologise keep getting you mixed up with Clive! as we brought our K4 bits from him! Did not see you at Pembrey?
Knowing you are into the rugby I brought along about 20 Tetley t shirts, support rugby promotion in black with Mr Martin Johnson logo on the front. Various sizes thought you might have a use for them?
ps brilliant meeting  the pits were a swamp!
all the best Chris

Offline iomtt9

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:43:24 am »
Chris i will get you the no of a mate up here who has a good 400 bored to 500, like Lordy says start out standard then add things as you go. The lad up here has spent a lot of ££££ and time on this engine, i had a go on it at Croft about 3 years ago and went round 2 secs a lap faster than mine, it had disc on the front 6 speed cr box and was a lot lighter than mine and the gear change was the other way round ( mines 1 up and 6 down), also we have lots of spares for the 400 so i will tell him that you may be in touch. His name is Dave Roberts.
Col or Clive !!!

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:38:29 pm »
For info on the Dave Kirby stuff it may be worth getting in touch with John Chapman (the guy who has the RC181, 172 replica etc), I spoke to him at Mallory a couple of years back & seem to remember he mentioned them in connection with the ex Lukes Chutes stuff he has. He has a remarkable 400 engine in one of the replicas, I think it is actually a 350 now but mighty fast, and mighty expensive, but may be able to give a few suggestions - he's certainly very helpful.  460s are certainly cheaper to build than 500s, and stock rods seem reliable up to at least 11000rpm while Carrillos are ideal but rather expensive.

If you happen to find a spare cam that's livelier than a Yoshi ST-1 do let me know.

Offline Chris Tyler

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »
Hi
Tim Thanks for the info. I remember Luke Chutes bikes at the TT. Lovelly sound.
A few photos

all the best Chris

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »
Amazing Chris!

And in which years were those frames were made in ?

They are very Yamaha OW like....

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:06:12 pm »
the picture of that bare frame gives me ideas for my Suzuki Titan build. hmmmm monoshock 2 stroke street bike?
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:43:40 am »
That does look interesting, and great condition too. Curious that it doesn't use the front engine mount at all, but then i guess it makes it easier when the camchain adjuster bolt rusts in solid, shears & needs drilling out...

Offline SWEETPEAUK

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:10:19 am »
There is a guy that showed his Kerby at Stafford in 2007/8, Here are some pictures. It's the one Ron Haslam raced, check out the RH gear change and centre detachable centre engine mount. if you want hi res copys PM me

Link to more
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z225/sweetpeauk/CB400/kerby%20framed%20cb400/

Offline Chris Tyler

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:33:49 am »
Sweatpea Hi

Stunning!!!!!
Thankyou
I spent last night on the TT website & found not a mention of the Nettleton bikes!
Tim I have the front down tube aka Seeley Commando.
TurboGuzzi looks like I was wrong! I thought 75 not 76.
Tin disc front end looks good!
Thanks for all the replies so far. Searching in ernest for parts.
Sweatpea contact details would be great & thanks once again.
all the best Chris
tylernewsome@tesco.net

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »
 ??? ??? ???
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.