Poll

Water in my oil?

seized engine
0 (0%)
peice of shi t
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: cb550 Engine Help  (Read 1202 times)

birdonvacation

cb550 Engine Help
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »
i recently was given a 78 cb550 and i have a couple problems. It was sitting outside for a couple years and when i drained the oil it had water in it. also i took my spark plugs out and when in gear it doesn't roll freely i think it might be seized, is it a lost cause? thanks
jbassguy02@yahoo.com

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
Re: cb550 Engine Help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:37 pm »
hello, you are totally screwed, might as well give it to me. ;D

seriously, if the bike rolls (but not freely) it's likely your front caliper piston is stuck.  pour some oil into the cylinders and try turning the engine over slowly using the kick starter.   
searching for a dr350se

Offline Popwood

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:47:57 pm »
Very likely not a lost cause. First, make sure it's in neutral. As posted before, put some oil in the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Chances are those cylinder walls are dry or at least very sticky from sitting. Crank the engine by hand using the kick start if you can. Move them gently at first. Those first few revolutions need to coat the cylinder walls.

Of course, you want to drain as much crap out as possible. Be sure and change the filter first. Put new oil in before trying to start. You should also do new plugs and check the points. These old bikes aren't that hard to wake from the dead. Just wake them gently!
Current Rides:
1975 cb550K
1975 cb750K
1967 Bridgestone 350GTR

Past Rides:
1988 400 Hawk
195? Schwinn Whizzer

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »
I would squirt some penetrating oil in the spark plug holes and let it soak in overnight, then squirt in motor oil.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

birdonvacation

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:58 pm »
Thanks for the feedback i am letting some ATF and kerosene sit in the spark plug wells right now, and i tried to move the kickstart and it won't budge, the first sign that it might be stuck. I can clutch it and move when in gear but it wont move once clutch is released.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:21 pm »
Sounds like it is seized, but still may not be a lost cause. Generous amounts of penetrating oil and time may be your friend!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

birdonvacation

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »
Thanks again, i guess it'll just be a waiting game for a while. Without a kickstart just rocking it everyday will help?