Author Topic: Help, stalled on building '74 750, fork lowers.  (Read 760 times)

Offline Thunder

• Hot Shot
Help, stalled on building '74 750, fork lowers.
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:48:38 am »
Hi guys :)

Well i am rebuilding my '74. Everything was going well (unnervingly so) until i put on the front wheel and found my front brake arm doesn't line up.
meaning the brake arm i was gonna use dont fit what i thought was '74 forks.

Been searching all around and am now thoroughly confused, can someone please post some pics of a '74 front wheel showing the brake arm bracket?
I have a stack of parts, and just want to know the correct fork bottom and brake arm for a '74.

I've seen these forks (got em and brake)
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=68339.0;attach=111363;image

And these:
http://images9.fotki.com/v1603/photos/8/194098/8767402/Bilde0262-vi.jpg
 (got em as well), just want to make sure.

Ta for the help
Thor

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
Re: Help, stalled on building '74 750, fork lowers.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:51:11 am »
The first picture like you posted is of 72 on up forks.  Which are the ones that your bike should have.  There are two other stlyes, the older type like I have in my bike have a vertical flange with 2 bolt holes in it.  Those are forks from 71 on down to 69, and require a different typw of arm to mount the caliper.  The arm is fairly large and flat uses 3 bolts to mount it to the fork leg.  And the last style came in 79 I think.  They are easy to identify because the caliper bracket is cast to back of the left fork leg, and they also have a ribbed section on the top where the seal goes.

Hope this helps,

Travis

P.S.  I have pics of my early forks if you want to see them, but I have to wait to post em since I'm at work.
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)