Author Topic: Help!!! oil under cb750 alternator cover????  (Read 1918 times)

Offline kopptl

• Hot Shot
Help!!! oil under cb750 alternator cover????
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:10:04 pm »
so i took off my alternator cover and a bunch of oil poured out.... then the coil fell out and busted my catch pan and oil oozed all over.. anyway, bad seal?? how hard to replace?
thanks-tom

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
Re: Help!!! oil under cb750 alternator cover????
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:32 pm »
Oil in the 750's alt. cover is normal.  What do you mean that the coil fell out?  Did you take out the screws from the center of the cover that hold it in?  I had one helluva time "trying" to remove mine and never could (seems like they used red Loctite or something).  The coil is supposed to stay with the cover, and you only need to remove the outer screws.  I hope you didn't scratch off any of the enamel or shellac from the coil wires, that could be bad. 
Why were you removing the cover in the first palce? Just curious.

Offline kopptl

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:33:42 pm »
i thought that oil under the cover was bad, and i possibaly had a bad seal. not the coils that stay bolted to the cover, its the coil thing thats in the center of the rotor. i just wanted to make sure of things, as the bike has been sitting previously for years!

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:15 pm »
That coil in the center is the Field Coil. It connects to the Voltage Regulator under the seat with it's 2 wires. You must have removed the 3 screws around the HONDA logo on the cover.

It is pretty normal for this gasket to leak if the bike has been sitting a long time, as the oil sits on it and slowly dissolves the waxy sealant Honda used on the gaskets (which interestingly does not happenif the bike is run more frequently). If the gasket is not broken, you can wash it in lacquer thinner, soak for an hour in Xylol, let it dry and reuse it with Hondabond #4 and it won't leak. Or, just get a new gasket...Jeff at Z1 Enterprises said they just bought a new laser cutter to make gaskets and will be offering them individually and in sets, soon.  :)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com