Author Topic: help, no power  (Read 889 times)

imsam817

help, no power
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »
so i have a 77 honda cb550f.  it was running great for a couple weeks then at a stop light the lights went out then the engine died on me.  i haven't been able to get it started since.  i replaced the regulator and rectifier, put in a new ignition switch, checked/replaced the fuses, don't know what else to check.  took the coils in to a shop to have them checked, the coils are good.  oh and the engine/starter turns over, just there isn't a spark so it doesn't start up...  btw i live in the SF bay area, so if anyone knows of a good mechanic i'd appreciate it.  thanks

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
Re: help, no power
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »
you didn't check the points yet?  Also check the kill switch.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

imsam817

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:43 am »
the points were replaced with a dyna s, so the points aren't a problem.  as for the kill switch, do you mean check the switch mechanism itself?

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:45 am »
the points were replaced with a dyna s, so the points aren't a problem.  as for the kill switch, do you mean check the switch mechanism itself?

I mean see if the coils are being grounded if the switch is also connecting.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:22:34 am »
where at in the bay?

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:04 am »
Take another look at your fuse block. Are the fuse clips nice and shiny? are the clips getting a firm grip on each fuse ? Look at the backside of the fuse block too..... any cruddy connections  at the fuse will show-up due to the extra load of the Dyna ignition you have on your bike....and BTW, YOU are the best mechanic for troubleshooting your bike !!
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....