195 (39.8%)
50.000-75.000
47 (9.6%)
75.000-100.000
17 (3.5%)
More than 100.000
30 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 363

Author Topic: Highest mileage on a SOHC?  (Read 54878 times)

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Highest mileage on a SOHC?
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2015, 07:42:09 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2015, 11:37:58 am »
Great reports, Greg! I really enjoy reading your details. Isn't it amazing how much the Vetter has protected the instruments, compared to bikes without it? Mine still look new, outside of some slight face fade from the sun.

The new EMGO switches in the steering head (like yours) are much better than the EMGO switches that mount on the side of the frame. Your type has been fine in the many I've installed: it is the others that have had such poor reliability.

For those interested, I can offer these observations (based on experience inside the engines):
once the valves seat themselves (and their seats) into the heads well, usually by 10k miles, the further adjustments of valve lash due to them being loose is due to the rocker shaft wear. Once those reach equilibrium (around 40k miles or so) they seem to slow down to nil further movement for a LONG time. When the clearances start to lessen again (i.e., getting tighter) after this, it is due to the top and bottom ends of the valve guides wearing oval in shape, which very slowly starts a new wear pattern into the seat as the valve moves slightly in a lateral direction on each opening. Once this new pattern settles, the adjustment stops again for a long time. After a long enough time, this pattern repeats itself, and after a LOT of miles (75k or more), the valves cut themselves into the seats, making both the lip of the valve and the angle of the seat round. Once this happens, they seem to seal forever, if ridden often enough to prevent rust. Rust screws this whole pattern up, and usually requires a full head rebuild to start over... :(

When I took mine down at 138k miles 2 years ago, the valves' faces were all dished perfectly, as were the seats, just like I've seen on many of these hi-mileage engines. In the pix you can see how the valves all had leaked at some point, then as this rounded face sealed them back up, they worked fine again. I felt sad to re-do them, but the faces had reached the pitting point after I was "out sick" for 5 years with the cancer and didn't ride (they got a tiny bit rusty): I think if I had not done that, it would have still been happy!

If you ever do decide to rebuild and can't find Honda pistons, contact me: I make them out of the DOHC 750 pistons now. The result is about 9.4:1 CR in the 1975-1976 and K7-8 engines, slightly higher than stock (which was generally published as 9.2:1 in most cases, sometimes otherwise).
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2015, 07:51:44 pm »

If you ever do decide to rebuild and can't find Honda pistons, contact me: I make them out of the DOHC 750 pistons now. The result is about 9.4:1 CR in the 1975-1976 and K7-8 engines, slightly higher than stock (which was generally published as 9.2:1 in most cases, sometimes otherwise).

Thanks Mark. I'll do that as I know parts will be an issue.  Another alternative might be to raid Jerry's basement.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2016, 11:23:30 pm »
The 750 rolled over 155,000 miles back on June 4th a few miles north of Alturas, CA.  I was returning from delivering Pimpzilla to Mooshie and Dash in Redding.  The bike ran flawlessly over 1050 miles in 90+ degree heat.  Gas mileage ranged from 38 MPG when pushing strong headwinds west and south of Burns, OR to 48 MPG from Alturas to Redding, which basically downhill all the way.  Average was about 42 MPG.  A pint and a half of oil was consumed.  The oil consumption continued the pattern I've seen the last few years.  Oil consumption is still very low when commuting, but increases when ridden across country 65-75 mph in high temperatures.  I consider this exceptional considering the age and mileage on the bike.

I put a fair amount of money in the faithful steed over the last 5000 miles, but little of it would be considered as repair, just replacing consumables.  I installed new Sunstar sprockets and an RK x-ring chain, new EBC front brake pads (they don't squeal!), Metzeler Lazertec front and ME88 rear tires, a new K&N air filter, new swingarm collars, front wheel bearings and new float valves. 

According to my records, it looks like I first installed a Metzeler ME88 Marathon rear tire on the 750 back in 1991 after going through a succession of tires, including an ME99 that only went 5000 miles.  After that first ME88, I never looked back.  I’ve put 7 or 8 of them on there since then.  As far as I am concerned it was the best bias ply rear tire made.  Traction good enough to drag the hard parts on either side, good in the wet, good in snow, and will go 15,000+ miles running tubes.  So of course it isn’t made any more.  I’ve called Metzeler to goad them into making them again but it appears sales weren’t strong enough.  That surprised me because it was a classic tire for the 4 cylinder Gold Wings.  Occasionally on this forum someone would ask for tire suggestions and I’d recommend the ME88.  I don’t remember any one ever following the suggestion.  My buddy Fred at the best motorcycle shop in the world, Big Twin Cycles, also liked them, so when they were discontinued he got as many as he could.  He kindly let me have his last one.  It is on the bike now.  15 or 16,000 miles from now, I’ll be looking for another tire, damn it.

I installed the K&N air filter in 1980 when the bike had about 10,000 miles on it.  The last time I cleaned it, I noticed the rubber was getting stiff and I had some difficulty reinstalling it.  This time it was hard as a rock, and it would not go into place.  It occurred to me that K&N is still using their million mile warranty slogan, and since the filter was about 850,000 miles short of that, I’d see if they were good for it.  Google turned up their customer service number that connected me to Benjamin.  Benjamin said email me a photo of the filter, the year, make and model of the bike and I’ll send you one.  Two days later I had it in my hand.  It was even pre-oiled.  Thank you Benjamin, you guys are awesome.

Many years ago I bought a set of EBC front brake pads because they were cheaper than Honda OEM.  They didn’t stay on long because they squealed like a banshee.  Really painful so I went back to Honda pads.  Then Honda must have changed their compound, because a new set of pads squealed just like the old EBC’s did.  I heard a rumor that Honda outsourced their pads to EBC.  I tried all the usual remedies to no effect.  So for the last several years, I just put up with it.  Then when it came time to replace the last set, I found that Honda pads are NLA.  So I bought some EBCs, and I’ll be damned if they don’t squeal.  They’ve been on there now for just under 5,000 miles and they remain quiet.  No more painful expressions from people when I pull up alongside them at intersections.

When installing the ME88, I figured it was time to service the swing arm as it had been awhile.  This model has the center grease zerk, which really doesn’t do anything.  I don’t know who Honda thought they were kidding with that design.  At any rate the original plastic collars were looking brittle, so I replaced them with OEM collars. Yeah, I know, bronze ones are available.  But when you have a swing arm that is so wimpy that you can deflect it with hand pressure, I don’t believe the bronze bushings get you much.

The front wheel bearings were feeling a little notchy at the tire change before the PZ trip, so they were swapped out.  Those were the original bearings as I recall.

So the bike soldiers on.  160K is just a hair over 4000 miles away.  I am looking at retiring from my third career next year.  I might do something special with it when I pull the plug.  Would it make it across the country and back?  It took the trip to Northern California and back occasionally in triple digit heat in stride, then went right back into its commuting drone a couple of days later, so maybe it could.

However, the bike remains for sale.  Price today is $155,921.  It is not getting any cheaper, so it is best to quit stalling.  Quite a bargain considering all the new parts on it.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:27:50 am by ofreen »
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2016, 09:52:23 am »
Had I known you wanted original swing bushings I have a NOS set in that basement!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2016, 09:53:42 am »
So do you have a stash of ME88s since they dont make them anymore?

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2016, 10:27:54 pm »
Had I known you wanted original swing bushings I have a NOS set in that basement!
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2016, 07:53:22 am »
Great write up Greg.   Just goes to show you what a properly maintained bike can do. 

When you hit 200K, maybe Honda will consider using you for a commercial! (Like the Toyota testimonials!)
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2016, 09:02:39 am »
Thanks Stev-o. I've been averaging about 5000 a year on it lately so that will only take 9 years. ;D
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2016, 09:58:18 am »
Always enjoy your articles, Greg! What a great testimony to you and the bike as well. Maintenance is everything in the longevity of these bikes, but they do reward for it. That's good news about the EBC pucks: do you by chance have the model number of those pucks? I am a-building whole bikes again.

I might have to contact K&N like you did? I took my 1972 K&N off mine in 2012 when I went to clean it (still have it hanging in the garage) and discovered the same you did: after 40 years the rubber turned to plastic, and I could not get it back on (had a hard time getting it OFF!). I bought a new one, but maybe I will contact them instead? I have 3 other 750s I am resurrecting, each of which will get the K&N after their rebuilds, so their new owners will get the best. Now someone wants my F1, so I am going to build another K4 for my personal "spare".  And another K2, just in case.
;)
:)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2016, 10:28:55 am »
Thanks Mark. I threw the packaging for the EBC pads away but I remember only one option when I ordered them. I'd like to hear if anyone else has a similar experience with new EBCs.

Benjamin didn't hesitate a moment when I called, so I think you will have good luck. One thing that may have helped is that I told him about my defense of their filters on this forum and others. I have always figured that if my bikes can go so far without top end wear using K&Ns, they must be doing their job.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:22 pm »
My present SOHC came to me without a speedo, so I have no idea on it. My first "new" SOHC was a 78 K model and threw a rod on the highway at 122K and some change. All my other ones had less than 50K on them.
90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2016, 07:34:02 pm »
Congratulations Greg I always love your wrote ups and analysis. As always very inspiring. If you do make it cross-country you always have a place to stay in Boston! looking forward to that 160K write up! My K2 just turned 60L and my K4 is stuck on 87K so I am a ways behind you.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• Expert
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2016, 04:18:54 am »
245.000 km (152.000 mls)
Doc, I love a motorcycle!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2016, 08:45:38 am »
Congratulations Greg I always love your wrote ups and analysis. As always very inspiring. If you do make it cross-country you always have a place to stay in Boston! looking forward to that 160K write up! My K2 just turned 60L and my K4 is stuck on 87K so I am a ways behind you.
cheers
Andy

Thanks Andy.  I wouldn't mind dividing the miles between 2 SOHC4s.  At some point mine will be worn out and you'll still be riding yours. 
I'll look you up when I get out your way no matter what I am riding.  Same offer for you if you make it out here. 
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2016, 10:54:26 am »
Greg and Sgt, what oil are you running.?and did you always run the same oil ?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2016, 05:51:10 pm »

Except for a brief flirtation with Mobil 1 several years ago, I've been using Spectro 20w50 conventional oil since about 62,000 miles.  Before that it was Honda HP4 and various other motorcycle oils before that.  Way back at the beginning I used car oil.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2016, 06:16:23 pm »
I am looking at retiring from my third career next year.  I might do something special with it when I pull the plug.  Would it make it across the country and back? 
Sounds like a good excuse for a relay/rally. We could call it the "how many miles can Greg get out of a 750" ride. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2016, 07:32:42 pm »
Greg you can be sure if I am ever near Idaho Ill be coming to visit!

All the best
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline pmanning

• Enthusiast
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2016, 11:07:28 am »
   I really enjoyed reading Greg’s write up on his ‘75 CB750F.  My story is similar but I haven’t piled up the impressive numbers he has nor do I currently ride the commuting or touring miles that he does.  I will definitely lift a pint to the man when next I visit a tavern - probably later today.
   I bought my current CB750 in January of 1977 as a wreck from a shop in Birmingham, AL.  The original owner totalled the bike after just 215 miles and his insurance company put him on a new one.  The bike now has over 122,000 miles on it.  By frame number the bike is a 1975 K5 but is licensed as 1974 K4.  (Alabama became a title state in 1975 and the dealer somehow acquired the wreck without the title-or misplaced the title. They got around that by writing up the bill of sale as a ‘74 model.)  My purchase price for the frame, engine, tank and miscellaneous parts was $400.
   This bike is my second CB750.  My first was a 1970 K0 that I bought used and for cheap since it had a big hole in the crankcase in front of the countershaft sprocket - common story in the day.  I traded it in after 75,000 miles for a BMW R60/6 that I never liked very much.  I bought a BMW because after 60,000+ miles of adjusting and replacing chains on the 750 I thought the most important thing in the world was a drive shaft.  Looking back that was pretty one-dimensional thinking.  When I got the chance to pick up another 750 for about the same money I bought my first one for I jumped on it.  Incidentally when I next saw that first 750 with other used bikes on the showroom floor it had a replacement speedometer showing something like 12 or 14 thousand miles, extended forks, ape-hangers and a sissy bar.
   When I was young I used the bike for commuting, weekend trips, and vacations.  When I moved from Alabama to Texas I picked up an ‘84 Goldwing that I used on longer outings and a ‘72 R50/5 that was good for short around town hops.  The 750 remained my favorite bike for riding the hill country roads west of Austin and it still got used regularly for commuting.
   Now I find myself in the Pacific Northwest where the riding season is short and wet weather abundant.  I’m older and don’t suffer inclement weather with the toughness I once did.  Here one bike is enough.  Nevertheless there’s lots to explore and  the bike’s been all over Washington and Oregon, been to Alaska twice, and halfway across Canada.  I also enjoyed riding down to Laguna Seca while the motogp race was there.
   The bike, though not K5 original, remains pretty stock..  My primary requirements for a motorcycle are that I can get on it and go when the opportunity or impulse hits, enjoy the ride, be reasonably confident it will carry me to my destination and back, and, when it breaks, I can fix it myself.  Honda designed and manufactured one hell of a motorcycle over 40 years ago, the testimony for which is that it can still fill all of the above requirements all these years later. 
   The engine was freshened at 78,000 miles with 0.5 mm oversize pistons, new exhaust valve guides, cam chain and tensioner, primary chains and tensioner, gaskets, seals and an outboard output shaft bearing.  Main and rod bearings, cam and cam holders, transmission components, alternator, starter and oil pump are all original.  The original clutch was replaced along with an overall cosmetic restoration at 91,000 miles.  The first complete carb tear down and rebuild happened last winter (yes, that was much too long to wait).  You might think I’m anal but I have an excel spreadsheet that chronicles the service record and repair cost for the bike going back to 1991.  I have a folder of paper records and receipts prior to that.
   I’ve watched with passive interest over the past decades the changes in the motorcycling industry and the machinery produced.  Though much of that change was inspired directly  by the original CB750, for an old man like me, too much of what is made now is simply too much.  The performance of today’s bikes is often far beyond the abilities of most riders not to mention the condition of the roads we have to ride on.  Technological sophistication puts repair and maintenance beyond the tool kit and skills of most home mechanics.  Short production runs of limited quantities prevents the possiblity of long term parts availability; therefore limited use life.  Most of the feature rich exotica detracts from rather than adds to the experience of motorcycling.  Oh yeah, and they cost about a million dollars a copy.  In almost forty years of riding my current bike I doubt that I’ve spent much more than what most bikes its size today cost to roll off the showroom floor.
   So I guess I’ll keep riding it until I wear out or it wears out.  It’s been a long time since I’ve thought about picking up something else,  From where I sit now if I was looking for something better I have no idea what that might be.  Maybe a 1980 CB650.
   Attached are a then photo and now photo.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2016, 03:50:21 pm »
My primary requirements for a motorcycle are that I can get on it and go when the opportunity or impulse hits, enjoy the ride, be reasonably confident it will carry me to my destination and back, and, when it breaks, I can fix it myself.  Honda designed and manufactured one hell of a motorcycle over 40 years ago, the testimony for which is that it can still fill all of the above requirements all these years later....(snip)
   I've watched with passive interest over the past decades the changes in the motorcycling industry and the machinery produced.  Though much of that change was inspired directly  by the original CB750, for an old man like me, too much of what is made now is simply too much.  The performance of today’s bikes is often far beyond the abilities of most riders not to mention the condition of the roads we have to ride on.  Technological sophistication puts repair and maintenance beyond the tool kit and skills of most home mechanics.  Short production runs of limited quantities prevents the possiblity of long term parts availability; therefore limited use life.  Most of the feature rich exotica detracts from rather than adds to the experience of motorcycling.  Oh yeah, and they cost about a million dollars a copy.  In almost forty years of riding my current bike I doubt that I’ve spent much more than what most bikes its size today cost to roll off the showroom floor.

Your thoughts sum up a lot of what I think.  I currently have 3 bikes, the '75 750F, a '90 CBR1000F, and a '93 R100GS-PD.  The CBR and the BMW get most of the touring miles, though the 750 has been getting some of that duty lately because of the relays.  So my newest bike is 23 years old.  All three of them are getting long in the tooth.  The CBR and the GS are both over 70,000 miles.  Parts for BMW aren't a problem yet, but much of the CBR parts are NLA from Honda.  I've had to dink with both of them lately as stuff wears out or ages.  (The 750 remains my most reliable bike by far, because is is well made and simple.)  So I have been looking at new bikes to see what I might get to ride when I retire.  I plan to put on a lot of miles when I do retire and I am having a tough time deciding what bike that might be.  Sport tourers like my CBR have gotten fatter and heavier.  So have big dual purpose bikes like my old GS.  The amount of unnecessary complexity built into them turns me off.  I have nothing against technology as long as it serves us, but when complexity lets you down at the roadside, you are usually going to need to be towed/hauled and the repair will be expensive.  And your point about long term parts availability is a good one.  Of course I have to remind myself that realistically I am probably not going to need to worry about that.  Owning and riding another bike for 40 years, or even 25 is unlikely.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline NewBoots

« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2016, 09:00:11 am »
 :) :)Think we all should ride our SOHC bike to Colorado, or Wyoming this July 2017 and raise a glass to Greg's 750f.
Bucky :) :)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2016, 08:57:46 am »

So I guess I’ll keep riding it until I wear out or it wears out.  It’s been a long time since I’ve thought about picking up something else,  From where I sit now if I was looking for something better I have no idea what that might be.  Maybe a 1980 CB650.
   Attached are a then photo and now photo.

Nice story too, thanks for sharing.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• Expert
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2016, 12:26:06 am »

I bought her with 243.000 km on the clock. One owner until then.
Doc, I love a motorcycle!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:56 am »
The 750 turned over 160,000 miles while rolling through Woodruff, Utah back on August 18th, while on the return from the gathering at Dolores, CO.  The maintenance record since 155,000 miles looks sparse.  2 oil changes and tappet checks (no change again) is it for the scheduled items.  No change on the the tappet clearances after the ride either, which was a hair under 2100 miles for the round trip.  The only parts replacement I've done in the last 5000 miles are new plugs and caps right before the trip. I pulled the #1 plug for inspection and it was sooty.  The cap measured 16 ohms.  The other 3 were 10-11 so not so bad, but past their prime.  The new ones were under 5.  Anyway, hard to say how old the old ones were, since I didn't write the last replacement down in the record.  Plugs are D8EA.

The bike ran flawlessly on the trip.  It got 50 MPG on 2 or 3 legs, with the lowest leg at 40, part of which was pulling Douglas Pass in a strong headwind. It used 1.25 quarts of oil on the trip.  It actually used somewhat less oil on the return than on the trip down, which is interesting. I topped it off before leaving Dolores and didn't add any on the return.  It was down about a third of the way on the dipstick when I got home.  As usual, it seemed to run stronger the farther we went.  Getting away from the #$%*ty gas here in the valley was a factor as always, no doubt along with the new plugs/caps.

Great times at the gathering and very satisfying to be able to ride the old antique down and back with no more concerns than riding a newer bike.  Several others rode much farther, some not quite so trouble free, but still remarkable.  Just awesome bikes. 

July 4th marked the 40th anniversary since the bike and I met up in 1977.  So I have a lot of memories and sentiment attached to this bike.  Another recent high point was the bike being voted in for August BOTM against two very fine contenders.  However, I am mercenary enough that the bike remains for sale, current price $160,471.30. 

Greg
'75 CB750F