195 (39.8%)
50.000-75.000
47 (9.6%)
75.000-100.000
17 (3.5%)
More than 100.000
30 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 363

Author Topic: Highest mileage on a SOHC?  (Read 54901 times)

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
Re: Highest mileage on a SOHC?
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2023, 09:15:16 am »
Sorry, I meant to take that garbage can off of the back rack for the ride and photos today but I just didn’t do it.
Too anxious to get down the road? Too lazy? I don’t know.

We'll let it slide this time...ha.

PS. Where was that pic taken?  Nice park.

Stockbridge village square, M52 and M106
Vintage meet All Clubs Day Sunday 9/17, the streets and grounds will be full of motorcycles.

The top box is too darned convenient. Jacket helmet gloves water lunch parts groceries tools, it all fits, easy.
I’d probably screw it up worse if I tried a rattle can paint job with stripes.
Here’s a photo without the box.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 09:16:53 am by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
103,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2023, 01:21:18 pm »
Sorry, I meant to take that garbage can off of the back rack for the ride and photos today but I just didn’t do it.
Too anxious to get down the road? Too lazy? I don’t know.

We'll let it slide this time...ha.

PS. Where was that pic taken?  Nice park.

Stockbridge village square, M52 and M106

Oh...I have been to Stockbridge twice - both times with my friend to check out classic cars.  It is a nice drive there from Strawberry Lake.  I'll be going to Hell next week!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2023, 07:47:27 pm »

I had a break from 1997 to 2011.  97 we moved to USA - and I sold my Honda 750 before we moved - and 2011 a friend gave me K0 750. 

That’s a good friend you have Prokop.
There are lots of nice backroads in VA and nearby, yes?
Will you travel again to MI?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 08:07:25 pm by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
103,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2024, 11:20:10 pm »
The faithful '75 CB750F rolled over 170,000 miles yesterday on the 47th anniversary of its hauling me all over the place.  I have been busy the last couple of days getting ready for a ride on the Road King to South Dakota and who knows where else, leaving in the morning, so I haven't had a chance to sit down and put together the usual summary of the last 5000 miles.  I'll do it when I get back in about 10 days.  Yes, the bike is still for sale, current price  $170,079.80.  In the past, when it rolled over I'd hold the price steady for a month before beginning  incrementing it a dollar a mile again.  But really, all that does is enable the procrastinators into more stalling, so this time I'll hold the price only until I get back, then up it will go again. 

The last time the odometer displayed this was in May, 2000 -

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2024, 06:19:08 am »
Excellent, Greg!
I’d say the poll needs several more notches.
I’m pretty sure you and your CB750F are at the top of this class.
You’re leaving boundaries behind.
71 CB750 K1
103,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
————————————————-
—————————————————————-

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2024, 11:05:34 am »
The faithful '75 CB750F rolled over 170,000 miles yesterday on the 47th anniversary of its hauling me all over the place.  I have been busy the last couple of days getting ready for a ride on the Road King to South Dakota and who knows where else, leaving in the morning, so I haven't had a chance to sit down and put together the usual summary of the last 5000 miles.  I'll do it when I get back in about 10 days.  Yes, the bike is still for sale, current price  $170,079.80.  In the past, when it rolled over I'd hold the price steady for a month before beginning  incrementing it a dollar a mile again.  But really, all that does is enable the procrastinators into more stalling, so this time I'll hold the price only until I get back, then up it will go again. 

The last time the odometer displayed this was in May, 2000 -

Your dashboard is in excellent shape! I haven't seen one that nice in 15 years or more.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2024, 11:39:47 am »
I rode mine through leadville, co which is the highest elevation city in the US guess that doesn’t count for highest mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2024, 08:17:00 pm »
I rode mine through leadville, co which is the highest elevation city in the US guess that doesn’t count for highest mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you come by here again, ride up to the top of Mount Evans (the locals renamed it mount Blue Sky now...). It's paved up to 14,198 feet. You have to climb the last yourself up to 14,221 (or whatever height they changed it to this week...). When I came here in 1974 it was marked 14,255 feet, so take your pick. ;)

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2024, 08:41:56 pm »
The faithful '75 CB750F rolled over 170,000 miles yesterday on the 47th anniversary of its hauling me all over the place.
Greg, have you given the old girl a check-up, in the form of a compression test? I've read some things on a certain blog that challenge the fact that your bike can still perform so well with so many miles, as the compression will be too low. ??? 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2024, 02:14:55 pm »
The bikes that came with the famous Stellite valve guides can run a mighty long time. Mine had them and at 126k miles some of the valves met the 'wiggle limit' when I had it apart for other reasons, so I changed them. While the compression had dropped some then, it wasn't enough to prevent 100 MPH.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2024, 01:13:07 am »
The faithful '75 CB750F rolled over 170,000 miles yesterday on the 47th anniversary of its hauling me all over the place. 

Looking back at the 165,000 mile post, I see it took almost 3 years to get the last 5000 miles.  Much of what is in that post still applies.  The bike is running smoothly, not smoking or showing any other operating issues.  I commented then that oil consumption may have been increasing.  It probably is as I had to add 3/4 of a quart over the last 3400 miles since the last oil change to keep the level at the upper mark on the dipstick.  Kind of hard to get excited about that.  As I recall, in 2017 it used about a quart over the 2100 mile trip to Delores River and back in hot weather, extended running at 65+ pushing a Windjammer and carrying me and camping gear and climbing numerous passes.  Understandable that it would use more under those conditions.  The bike rolled over 160,000 miles on that trip.  It used more on the run to Redding to meet Mooshie on one of the relays back in 2016 at 155,000 miles.  That was a hot ride with strong headwinds and long climbs that time too, so there is a pattern.  Still using Spectro 20W50 HD.  I took it out this afternoon to warm it up for the oil change.  Temperature was right at 100 degrees and even after some stop and go, shifting was smooth and neutral easy to find.  Pretty good considering the oil had over 3400 miles on it.

Looking at the maintenance log for the last 5000 miles shows very little.  I did a 3000 mile service at 166,586 miles, changing the oil and filter, checking tappet clearances (no change again), cam chain, and Metzeler tires installed.  I used the Metzeler Lazertec front and ME77 rear.  Looking back at the maintenance log, I see I put the first ME33 front tire on the bike in August 1988.  They changed the ME33 name to Lazertec years ago.  It is an excellent front tire.  I run 38 PSI in it and get no cupping or scalloping like some report using lower pressure.  I bought the ME77 reluctantly because my experience with them wasn't good decades ago.  I settled for it because it was available during the scamdemic.  They aren't bad for traction and handling, but they simply don't last.  I would say it is already 2/3 of the way to the wear bars in only 3500 miles.  I was spoiled by the great ME88 tire for so many years.  Sadly discontinued in 2012.  Damn you Metzeler.

I did another 3000 mile service this afternoon.  The tappets still needed no adjustment.  I use Honda's recommended clearances as I have since I bought the bike.  Looking at my notes, it appears the last time I made an adjustment there was back at 149,000 miles where a couple were half a thou tight.  The RK x-ring chain and Sunstar sprockets installed at 153,000 miles are still on there, the chain still needing no adjustment.  I lube it with Maxima chain wax.  Spark plugs were last changed at 158,000 miles.  The Dyna S ignition installed in 1990 is still going strong.

The tach is still wonky and I've noticed for some time that the speedometer starts reading low when air temps approach 90.

Your dashboard is in excellent shape! I haven't seen one that nice in 15 years or more.

I remember your comment from years ago about how the Windjammers shielded the dash.  No doubt true, and the Windjammer has been off the bike for 5 years, but the bike has always been stored inside, and covered when parked when I used to work for a living.  It also helps if you don't keep your bike under a drainpipe like a neighbor used to do. ;D

Greg, have you given the old girl a check-up, in the form of a compression test? I've read some things on a certain blog that challenge the fact that your bike can still perform so well with so many miles, as the compression will be too low. ??? 

I'd like to have a look at that blog if you can point me to it.  I wasn't aware the bike was a topic of conversation anywhere other than here.  I generally don't do compression or leak-down tests except as a diagnostic tool.  I don't drag race it or do top speed runs, so as long as it is running well, I don't even think about it.  But since you asked, and I decided I was curious and I always enjoy a good science experiment, I pulled the plugs and did it.  I'll attach photos of the results at the end of this.  #1, #3 and #4 hovered around 120, while #2 for some reason lagged way behind.  (I have a theory.)  Threading the hose and fitting on 2 and 3 is a bit of a pain in the butt and I can't say for certain I got it sealed completely on #2.  Also, these numbers were taken at ambient temperatures, not with the engine warmed up.  It was already 95F in the shop as it was and I didn't want to try to do 2 and 3 with a hot engine with that pesky rubber hose.  The numbers won't blow anybody's skirt up, but the fact that my house is little under 3000' MSL, the rubber hose adds volume, and it was hot as hell need to be taken into consideration.  The Boise airport ASOS was reporting density altitude of 5900' this afternoon.  Just figuring in the elevation correction without air density loss due to it being 95 degrees would take the numbers into the 130 range.  (except for underachiever #2) And I don't believe the #2 reading is accurate.  And the gauge I have has a reputation for reading low.  So the skeptics can make of it what they will.

Excellent, Greg!
I’d say the poll needs several more notches.
I’m pretty sure you and your CB750F are at the top of this class.
You’re leaving boundaries behind.

Thanks Kevin!
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #211 on: July 16, 2024, 01:51:24 am »
It's super cool that you share these maintenance notes.  In the last few years, largely due to owning multiple old bikes, I have begun keeping notes of my own.  It's amazing how much stuff I can forget in the span of one riding season that could be useful information in years to come.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2024, 02:09:02 am »
^^^^^^
I agree Greg and Sean that those are some great maintenance notes keeping 👍. If all the bikes only had these same notes they'd tell quite the story of the miles they have traveled to the future stewards of these survivor bikes. I admittedly have not kept up a written logbook of maintenance on this K5 that I have possession of the past seven and 3/4 years, so I am going out to get some suitable size logbooks for these bikes I have possession of to start some record keeping of them for the future keepers of them.

"The bikes that came with the famous Stellite valve guides can run a mighty long time. "
Mark
Would you remind us of what years had the Stellite guides and maybe the old part number if you have them? I seem to remember that you have said Honda went back to them on the advent of the 392 heads? Any others?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 02:12:33 am by newday777 »
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2024, 07:14:08 am »
Greg, have you given the old girl a check-up, in the form of a compression test?

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke!"

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2024, 10:45:30 am »
Greg, have you given the old girl a check-up, in the form of a compression test?

I was suggesting a check-up, Steve, not exploratory surgery. ;)
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2024, 09:15:59 pm »

I don't drag race it or do top speed runs, so as long as it is running well, I don't even think about it.

That pretty much says it all. ;D

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2024, 10:30:40 am »
It's super cool that you share these maintenance notes. 
^^^^^^
I agree Greg and Sean that those are some great maintenance notes keeping 👍.

Thanks gents.  I started keeping a maintenance/repair log for the bike in August 1988 at 25,600 miles, 11 years after I bought the bike.  At that point, it had been in storage for 5 1/2 years while I lived in the bush in Alaska.  Before that, it had sat in my sister's basement for a year and a half before I had it shipped to Alaska after I moved there in 1979. And then after a while I had 2 other bikes, a CB900F and a GSX-R1100, so I was starting to have a hard time keeping track of everything without writing it down.  I am pretty sure there weren't any repairs to the 750 before that point, just oil, tire and chain/sprocket changes.  I used the maintenance log and notes section in the back of the Clymer service and repair book I bought at Renton Honda in August 1977.  That finally filled up back in 2010 so now I stick loose leaf sheets in there.  I keep saying I will go through the notes and put them here, but I haven't gotten around to it.  It will take some time to compile them and type it out, but somebody might find it interesting.  What is interesting to me is how few entries are actually what you would call repair.

Right on, Stev-o.  I am basically lazy, so that is my philosophy. ;)
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2024, 03:28:37 pm »
Scan the sheets and create PDF files or image files of them... Or photography and crop the images...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2024, 10:30:39 am »
Thanks David, I could do that but there are several handwritten, closely-spaced pages, so I doubt anyone would want to wade through it.  What I think I will do will break it down into categories, repairs, tires, chain/sprockets, batteries, etc.  That would be more digestible than trying to read my scrawl.  The photo below is only part of what is there.  All the pages are double-sided.  I'll get to it at some point.  I'll be interested to see how it breaks down myself.
Greg
'75 CB750F