Author Topic: 77 F2 front blinkers  (Read 700 times)

Offline Halvin

• Life is 10% what happens to me & 90% how I react.
77 F2 front blinkers
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:09:23 am »
I've just about got my 1977 CB750F2 ready to ride and find I have a light snafu.  When I turn on the key the turn signal lights on the front come on and burn continuously.  When I acquired the bike last fall it was not running and the front turn signals were not mounted (they don't look original, they look newer).  There are 2 wires from each side and my wiring diagram shows 3.  The green wire showing on the wiring diagram is not on the turn signal units.  Since the green wire is apparently a ground I wasn't sure this made a difference.  Is the missing green wire a problem or should I look elswhere?  Incidentally, the low beam on the headlight won't come on but the high beam will, which may be completely unrelated to the front turn signal issue.  The wiring on the bike is in pretty good condition considering its age.  Besides mounting the front turn signal units the only tinkering I've done with the electrics was to solder in a connection to the Dyna electronic ignition at the fuse box.  Can anyone help with some advice as to what may be the problem?  I am not one who understands electricity but I've found through restoring MG cars that most electrical problems are bad connections, shorts, or altered wiring by POs. 
Halvin
Hal

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: 77 F2 front blinkers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:26:49 am »
Your FRONT turn signals are also running lights which should stay on. They should have dual filament bubs while the rear are turn signal only with single filament bulbs. Without looking at mine I'd say the front SHOULD have 1 more wire than the rear. Do you have rear signals on the front or have them switched around ?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Halvin

• Life is 10% what happens to me & 90% how I react.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »
Wow! It didn't dawn on me they're supposed to stay on.  I'll check tonight to see if they're reversed.  The PO told me he acquired the turn signals for the front on e-bay, perhaps he acquired the wrong ones.  Thanks.
Halvin
Hal

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:15:50 pm »

The front running/directional lights are grounded by their mounting so only 2 wires. The rear directional lights are grounded by a wired connection so have 2 wires. I can't recall the front wire colors off the top of my head but the rears will have one green for ground.

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.