Author Topic: Has anyone installed a analog volt gauge on their bike?  (Read 5487 times)

Offline egor

• I love bacon!
Has anyone installed a analog volt gauge on their bike?
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:09:33 am »
I think the analog volt gauge look good and provide some good assistance with old honda electrical systems.  Don't think the digital meters look the part for an old bike.
04' Ducati Monster 620ie (sold)
75' CB550f Super Sport

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
  • Yes its a Honda You got an F'in problem with that?
Re: Has anyone installed a analog volt gauge on their bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:11 am »
I think the analog volt gauge look good and provide some good assistance with old honda electrical systems.  Don't think the digital meters look the part for an old bike.

Yes I have done that before.  Hardest part is finding the right place to mount it.

Also make sure to hook it up to the ignition so you don't run the battery down.
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline The Mayor

• My Gallery
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:56:16 am »
any specifics on how to hook one of these up?

Offline smileswithadimple

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:58:24 am »
Also interested, signing in...
TIA
72 CB500/4

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:08 am »
negative to bike frame

positive to switched ignition source (such as running lights)

bolt on gauge

have a beer
Project Rina

That is an inconceivably egregious transgression against my rudimentary concordance of socially shunned individuals.

Offline dakota

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:31:29 am »
Hi,
I am using a led, which gives the status of the battery. You just need to make a little hole in the dasboard.
Depending on the status of the battery, loading, low, high, .... the color of the led changes. Very handy!
http://www.aoservices.co.uk/data/bsm.htm

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:29 am »
i fitted a vdo analouge voltmeter,i drilled and tapped the instrument mounting plate and screwed two long 4 mm bolts to cradle the meter,then a stainless hose clamp wrapped around the bolts and guage,i fed both wires into the head light bucket,one to an earth and one key on positive,i didnt worry about wiring the internal light.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:16:12 am »
[IMG]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/dave500_01/volts001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:18:14 am »

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:55:29 am »
I'm looking to do something similar, I have an analogue AMP meter - which I am going to wire in - which will give me an instant result of the current load on the bike....then will go for the voltmeter at a later stage...

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:08:20 am »
I'm looking to do something similar, I have an analogue AMP meter - which I am going to wire in - which will give me an instant result of the current load on the bike....then will go for the voltmeter at a later stage...

careful with those amp meters.  You will have to hook it up in the beginning of the circuit you want to measure since you will have to hook it in line.

Use a fuse also.
Project Rina

daytonaboogie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:07 am »
Hi,
I am using a led, which gives the status of the battery. You just need to make a little hole in the dasboard.
Depending on the status of the battery, loading, low, high, .... the color of the led changes. Very handy!

that thing looks badass, may i ask how you installed it on your bike, or if you have any pictures.
I'm trying to get a feel for how big this thing is, and where i can fit it.

hanx!

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=j406tf2tvbqk9dhimbh27jtu35&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:13:53 pm »
renember that volts meter use pover ,,not like amps..volts met can not shov stabile if they are not mont direkt to battery
they vill dirstyrb from blinkers and other users,,flik flak hole time..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:34 pm »
You can get around the jumping by installing a capacitor and diode circuit.  It will not give an instant reading but I guess more like an "average"
Project Rina

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=j406tf2tvbqk9dhimbh27jtu35&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »
hey..i vrote direkt to battery,,,thats dont go..you are right konnekt it to egnision key,,or it eat yours battery over night
think most newer volt met are stabiliced,,
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:32:59 pm by strynboen »

Offline razor02097

• Not a fool, just an
  • Expert
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »
hey..i vrote direkt to battery,,,thats dont go..you are right konnekt it to egnision key,,or it eat yours battery over night
think most newer volt met are stabiliced,,

you are correct.  I do not however hook it up to constant battery I do hook it up to only come on when the key is in the "run" position

If I misunderstood you I apologize.
Project Rina

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
hey no it vas me,,just vrigt vrong...have some probblems vith english

Offline dakota

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »
Hi,

that thing looks badass, may i ask how you installed it on your bike, or if you have any pictures.
I'm trying to get a feel for how big this thing is, and where i can fit it.

hanx!

Yow,
I have put it on my BSA, not yet on the cb. Here is a picture, I've put the led between the tacho and the speedo

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »
An amp meter should read all battery current except the starter motor - this is around 100A and can damage a meter that goes up to +/- 20 or 30 amps. Some bikes this is easy, there's an huge wire going from battery + to the solenoid and another smaller one (still pretty big looking, but it has an extra insulating layer) from the battery + to the harness: this carries both load and charging power. Some bikes have this smaller wire attached at the solenoid lug where that huge wire from the battery connects. I have seen bikes with the harness (load) connected to the solenoid and the charging circuit connected to the battery.
You have to combine all non-starter battery wires together into one wire and then interrupt  it, connect your amp meter across the interruption with fairly heavy wire. 14ga would be good, 16ga would be sufficient, anything smaller would be a poor choice. You must fuse the battery side wire to your meter (use 15A or 20A) very close to the battery or solenoid: otherwise this will carry unfused battery power and may (will) cause a fire if it shorts out to ground!
Running these wires up to the instruments or bucket is risky, constant flexing at the steering head can cause a wire to break or chafe. If you do this use high-flex wire (a lot - a hundred or more - of very thin conductor strands twisted together) not normal car hookup wire (usually 17 strands). Add a protective sheath of some sort at the steering head where it flexes.
Using a shunt meter is best but they are rarer and more expensive. This type uses a shunt, basically a very low value resistor, in the measured circuit. Current through this resistor produces a voltage across the resistor. The meter measures this voltage. Usually shunts are rated at 50mV for the rated current: a 100A shunt will make 50mV at 100A. You need to match the meter and shunt rating to get accurate readings. The wires from the shunt to the meter can be quite small, but they need to be fused near the shunt with a low value fuse (1A or less) as they will have +12V battery voltage on them and will be otherwise unfused. If you mount the shunt safely, run the power wires carefully, and dress them securely (tied down well) then you can skip fusing the shunt circuit. A fuse is still fine but if the shunt wiring can be done as safely and securely as the fuse wiring would be, it's about the same risk.
You can measure battery volts if you use a relay powered by ignition power to switch the meter feed connected directly (through a fuse!) to the battery. This is a pretty good idea if you are monitoring the charge level on the battery since ignition circuit voltage is always less than battery voltage and changes depending on where in the harness you measure it.

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 12:45:45 am »
Bodi,
thanks for the information, I am aware of all the possible dangers associated with installing the amp meter, type of wire, gauge, etc....and will be extra careful in protecting the length of the wires with heatshrink and maybe even a double layer of it....
 I was lucky enough to get a nice old amp meter - that is +/- I think 20A - for a free price
just working out where to mount it safely...

the voltmeter will come next.......

Offline Gregorymoto

• SOHC Aficionado
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:29 am »
I'm sorry but why would you want to. Is this a looks thing. I've been riding and racing Cb750s for years and i have never found a point where i thought i needed a Volt Meter.
Yep, i have issues with this sort of stuff.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 05:15:09 am »
Just finished putting one on my 550 last night!  As for why, I say why not??  Mine didn't require any changes to the bike, it's just tie wrapped on and can come off in 3 minutes if I wanted too.  I liked the challenge of figuring out the wiring, the lighting and the mounting. 

Final product:

Made from a cropped flashlight I got at the dollar store

And a cheap meter from Harbor Freight voltmeter and Radio Shack LEDs

Liking the fit

Used the rubber stopper that sealed the inlet hole from an air tool during shipping (I keep such knick knacks!).  Poked holes through with a tiny drill bit, epoxied the LEDs at an angle to spread the light.  Also epoxied an O-ring to the plug to hold the plug tightly into the mounting hole.  I  then connected the LEDs with 220-ohm resisters and shrink tubing.  Wired the LEDs to the power leads.

Here is the flashlight body with tie wraps and wiring pulled through

And mounted!

Not exactly a thing of beauty and fusion, but it's not intended to be permanent.  The parts were cheap enough that I could redo it if I wanted to.

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.