Author Topic: Looking for some help with tuning in Perth :)  (Read 3655 times)

Offline madcb750

Looking for some help with tuning in Perth :)
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:05:53 am »
Hey All,

Im living in Perth, Australia and recently picked up a CB750K2 that I am looking to do up over time and have as my Sunday ride bike.  I fell in love with the K2 about ten years ago when I saw one in the Adelaide motor musuem in pristine condition.  Never thought I would be lucky enough to own one but through the wonders of modern technology (Ebay haha) I have finally ticked that box :)

I have done heaps of research and want to put a Carby kit thru the old girl and give here a proper tune up.  Im pretty confident in doing the carbs myself but really need someone to give me a hand with setting the valve clearances and balancing the carbs.  I am wondering whether there are any members in Perth that would be interested in giving me a hand.  I contacted a couple of the Honda dealers here and they didnt sound overly confident in working on the older bikes, one of the young lads was even talking about coolant changes until I told him it was air cooled haha.  They also wanted $600 to change the oil, filters and plugs, adjust the valve clearance and balance the carbs.  This seemed a little bit excessive to me.  I am looking for someone to tutor me in doing all these things and am willing to pay in Aussie dollars (beer) or perhaps pay in trade, Im a Computer, Network and Printer tech so can sort out anything in the office or around home.  Hoping to meet some people that can give me some tips in rebuilding and maintaining the old girl as I dont ever plan on parting with her :)

Hope to hear back soon Happy Riding All - Honda Love :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:38:46 am by madcb750 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: Looking for some help with tuning in Perth :)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:28 am »
gday mate,your standard bike shop/dealer wont know #$%* all,,or care and share your/our pleasure of these old classics,i like  your swap beer/attitude,,try and find a place that deals with these older bikes,,these new dealerships are all about the sell,,new bike sell,,,/sell,,these are new tech /best bikes/sell/,ive even parked my old 500/4 in a honda dealership and a sales rep has said,"gees,thats an old cluncker!"in front of his potential new bike buyer,,whaT?!!!ITS STILL AN OLD HONDA PRODUCT?? going through my head,,i was there to pick up some parts for a mates old ct70 mini bike!!ahh,,who cares.im on the gold coast,you keep that 750.

Offline madcb750

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:03:11 am »
Hey thanks for your reply Dave, still looking for some help and/or another CB750 lover in Perth I can glean some knowledge from.  :)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:32 am »
Hi Mate, do you have anywhere near you that holds classic motorcycle races or the like.? Even swap meets can be a great place to find the guys that still work on our old "clunkers"... ;D  I found my mechanic by asking everywhere i went and just by chance there was a guy in the same paint shop i was in that over heard what i was saying and put me in touch with a very good old school mechanic.....Good luck..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline bird

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:32:50 pm »
So true. Modern bike shops just don't care or know. Look around for local historic clubs or classic racing clubs on the net in Perth and send out emails asking for any contacts they may have. People are usually more than happy to help. Good luck. ^^

Offline Kwality

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:25 am »
G'day squire.  I'm in Perth near Dog Swamp.  I've got a Morgan Carbtune, some spanners and a feeler gauge if you know the settings!  Drop me a PM and perhaps we can sort something out.

Cheers,

Leigh