Author Topic: Has anyone here ever put a Kawasaki Lester Mag on their CB750?  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
I understand this might sound like a silly question...But have found a rear Kaw lester wheel, has anyone on the board ever tried this before?

Granted I understand I am in for some "fun", and will need to find a rear sprocket hub & proper brake hub, and spacers...Any thoughts?  Just wondered.  Thanks

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
Re: Has anyone here ever put a Kawasaki Lester Mag on their CB750?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:58:34 pm »
not yet but i do have the rims. maybe this winter i'll try but for now i'm not having my bike down for experimentation.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:13:59 pm »
The Kawi wheels from the early '80s are clones of Morris wheels, not Lesters.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:00 pm »
The Kawi wheels from the early '80s are clones of Morris wheels, not Lesters.

Actually this one is a Lester aftermarket wheel, but meant to fit on a Z1 or KZ900.  Has a Lester part # 25100.

Anybody ever convert one to work with a CB750?

srook

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:19:15 am »
There are a few issues.  1 is the sprocket carrier.  2 is the brake drum plate.  3 is the spacing.  4 is the axle diameter.  That wheel that you have may not actually be for a Z1 or KZ.  I think it is actually for the S1 which was the smaller 2 stroke Triple (just a guess).  The first thing I would do is figure out which bike it was made for so you can get the correct sprocket carrier and brake plate. You can always get an axle made that would fit.  The spacing should be pretty easy to figure out once you have all the correct stuff.  Post the part number on some Kawasaki triple forums, someone there should be able to tell you what that wheel is actually for.  I had planned on doing something like this but in the end it was easier to just get the correct wheel for a CB750 because I already had the brake plate and the sprocket carrier, there were no spacing issues, and it would bolt right on.  The good thing about Lesters is that Kawi wheel you have is probably worth the same as the correct wheel for the CB.  I would sell it and save that money towards the right wheel.  It will be cheaper in the long run.
Good Luck
Scott

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:24:20 am »
+1 on the sell and buy correct... Will save time and money!
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:09:19 am »
it looks as if the front wheel, once i change to a bearing with a different shaft diameter, it will bolt right into the k6 750 forks and axle. pictures later today hopefully.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:41:07 am »
Should be doable..
 I run a 4 bolt Morris front that was made for Kawi, and am thinking of running the Morris type (kawi made ) 16 on the rear..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:47:50 am »
Should be doable..
 I run a 4 bolt Morris front that was made for Kawi, and am thinking of running the Morris type (kawi made ) 16 on the rear..

exactly what i'm looking at doing. i'm not sure which Kawi these are from but i do know it was a 750. rear drum brake too.

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »
There are a few issues.  1 is the sprocket carrier.  2 is the brake drum plate.  3 is the spacing.  4 is the axle diameter.  That wheel that you have may not actually be for a Z1 or KZ.  I think it is actually for the S1 which was the smaller 2 stroke Triple (just a guess).  The first thing I would do is figure out which bike it was made for so you can get the correct sprocket carrier and brake plate. You can always get an axle made that would fit.  The spacing should be pretty easy to figure out once you have all the correct stuff.  Post the part number on some Kawasaki triple forums, someone there should be able to tell you what that wheel is actually for.  I had planned on doing something like this but in the end it was easier to just get the correct wheel for a CB750 because I already had the brake plate and the sprocket carrier, there were no spacing issues, and it would bolt right on.  The good thing about Lesters is that Kawi wheel you have is probably worth the same as the correct wheel for the CB.  I would sell it and save that money towards the right wheel.  It will be cheaper in the long run.
Good Luck
Scott

Points well taken.  Unfortunately...the correct rear honda lester wheels are going for BIG money (One of the ebay ones I bid on sold for $820.  That was for the rear wheel, sprocket assembly & brake hub, but just the rear only!!).  The kaws are going for considerably less.

So, after a lot of reading/thinking....Think I can make this work.  Will try using the sprocket hardware off of an H2 (47 tooth sprocket, whereas the Z1's used a 35) and the rear brake hardware off of a Z1 or KZ900.

I have an H2 that I can rob the sprocket assembly, but looking at the rear brake assembly the pedal rod is routed a little differently, so will try to find one out of a salvage yard.

srook

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 07:36:17 pm »
That $820 rear Lester was for a CB550 which is different than the CB750 and much rarer.  It was big news on the forum a couple of weeks ago http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68586.0.  I got my rear Lester (CB750) for under $150 last year on Ebay.  The Kawi Lester is going to be a project.  It may take the same amount of time to find a CB750 Lester for the right price, but in the long run you will have a much easier time getting it on your bike.
Scott
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:37:58 pm by srook »

Offline wildcatmahone

• Poseur
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:48:50 pm »

Points well taken.  Unfortunately...the correct rear honda lester wheels are going for BIG money (One of the ebay ones I bid on sold for $820.  That was for the rear wheel, sprocket assembly & brake hub, but just the rear only!!).  The kaws are going for considerably less.

Yep, same wheel I was watching waiting to pull the trigger until bidding went bonkers. Be patient and keep a look out for the Lesters and screw looking on Ebay for them if that's how prices are gonna be in the future.
Matter of fact I just scored a 18" 750 Lester off craigslist in another state. Guy was selling a complete bike with the Lester on it and asked him how much he wanted for just the wheel. Got a email the next day saying $200 and now it's on the Fedex truck to me. So they're out there just keep looking.

That $820 rear Lester was for a CB550 which is different than the CB750 and much rarer.  It was big news on the forum a couple of weeks ago http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68586.0.  I got my rear Lester (CB750) for under $150 last year on Ebay.  The Kawi Lester is going to be a project.  It may take the same amount of time to find a CB750 Lester for the right price, but in the long run you will have a much easier time getting it on your bike.
Scott

Yeh that's the guy who bought it, and found out it was for a 750 to begin with. And then sprayed the Lesters with some cheap autostore rattlecan. Jeez what a waste.

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 08:07:16 am »
That $820 rear Lester was for a CB550 which is different than the CB750 and much rarer.  It was big news on the forum a couple of weeks ago http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68586.0.  I got my rear Lester (CB750) for under $150 last year on Ebay.  The Kawi Lester is going to be a project.  It may take the same amount of time to find a CB750 Lester for the right price, but in the long run you will have a much easier time getting it on your bike.
Scott

Yeh that's the guy who bought it, and found out it was for a 750 to begin with. And then sprayed the Lesters with some cheap autostore rattlecan. Jeez what a waste.
[/quote]

Holy $h!+ !! You mean everyone started thinking it was for a 550, went into a bidding rage, only to stick the winner with a rim that was for a 750?

Thanks everyone for their input.  Will get the Kaw hardware together, and try to fit it.  If the chain/wheel alignment doesn't look right, Will put the wheel & hardware back on ebay and go back to square one.  One local shop recommended that I adapt yamaha SR500 wheels & hardware.

What really speeded this "project" up, though...Was out riding the other night, on the way back, got about a block away from the house and the back of the bike starts fishtailing.  Got it in the driveway, put some air in tire only to find that air was leaking by one of the spokes.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 10:47:41 am »
Are you going 18 or 16 inch..

I did get a set of Lesters on here a very reasonable..  a year or two back 100 bux for both. a 16 that is a bit marked up and a 19 that looks true but has a crack. I dont actually like Lesters, never really did, I run the Morris if I can get them.. that said Mabe a LTD Kaw 16 rear or 18 rear may be the way to go for you.
 You may ask why I got the Lester if they are not my favorite, I got it simply to be able to switch out to a 16 if I feel like it as  I have gone on fairly long rides while running struts..

I have adapted many wheels to a wide variety of bikes, if you can get machining done reasonable it is worth it.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:34:31 am »
I have Kawa 400 mags on my 500

SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 11:41:11 am »
I have Kawa 400 mags on my 500

They are Yamaha mags.
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:12:42 pm »
Def Yamaha 6 bolt  to which the Yam, Honda & Ducati rotors bolt right up to..

Here is a cool trick if you run Yam rotors on back wheel, if you can find the early2 pce rotors, and can live without cush drive..

Take a 2 pce rotor apart, machine a blank alum sprocket to fit, theb drill appropriate lightening holes or drill to match disc.. Nice look to have both sides having the same centers..

Fishead, do you by chance know if lTD rotor mount os 6 bolt and close to Honda?
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:58 pm »

Fishead, do you by chance know if lTD rotor mount os 6 bolt and close to Honda?

Most '75 and earlier (not all ) have 6 bolt disc (large mounting bolt pattern, wide hole in center discs -like the Z-1). Most '76 and later have the 4 bolt brake discs.
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline Whaleman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »
A dual disk was hard enough with the correct Lester. Dan

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »
 Can you jog our memories about the "difficult "part of  the dual disc conversion..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Whaleman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »
There is a very good chance I do not know the easiest way to do this. Instead of modifying the speedometer drive, I modified the wheel to accept the stock speedometer drive plate. This required machining out the wheel. Along with this was the custom building of a caliper holder and having it welded and chromed. Along with this was lining up the caliper with the new disc. Since this was my first time I spent more time than a pro would as I wanted everything lined up perfect as I did not know how much slop was allowed. Dan

Offline wildcatmahone

• Poseur
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 06:20:29 pm »
I think this thread...http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=53532.0
Steve F nailed it on the head when he milled a recess in the brake disc carrier and modified the speedo drive plate. I would suggest also that instead of grinding down the OD of the drive plate to fit inside the disc carrier bore, a small circular pocket be milled around the inside of the disc carrier to accept the full drive plate OD. Once I get some time Ill fire up my CAD with some dimensions and maybe a dxf to have access to.

-Wildcat
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:34:31 pm by wildcatmahone »

Offline wildcatmahone

• Poseur
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 07:07:38 pm »
Fishhead, any chance you have any SOHC/GL Lester Wheel part numbers you'd like to share?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »
I see its an early style the calper hanger bracket is harder to deal with.

I suggested this before, instead of milling anything, try this, need a grinder and hand drill. Grind drive round so it fits within rotor. Then drill 2 holes 180 Deg apart in the drive and hub, insert pins in the holes in wheel or weld onto drive.. done..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Eydugstr

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »
Are you going 18 or 16 inch...

Sticking with the stock size, 18".  The 16's seem to be a little bit more common, I am guessing because that was a more popular tire with the custom chopper folks.

SteveD - Sweet lookin' ride.  A guy at a local shop had a set of yamaha SR500 wheels similar to that, except the rear was for a disc brake version.  Personally I think those look better than the Lesters!  Tried to find a rear drum brake wheel like yours (I am assuming you used the rear brake off of a SR500 as well) but no luck.