Author Topic: 1979 DOHC CB900 finished pics  (Read 3488 times)

Offline rude

1979 DOHC CB900 finished pics
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »
Well it's certainly not a quad/car or lawnmower, having finished a CB350F Cafe last year I went looking for a larger capacity SOHC to Cafe' but they are getting as scarce as hens teeth down under, those that are around are asking big $$$'s, the CB900 came up locally with a good motor and trans but lousy paint and cosmetics, I also got a spare bike in bits all for a total of $2500aus.
That was September last year, I don't have any "before" photos cause a) I'm lousy at taking pics and b) the pics I did have are sitting on a newfangled puter thingy that is broken (blue screen of death my 16yo daughter calls it, is that a technical term I ask?)

Mods include, new rear progressive gas shocks that created some discussion in this forum, they seem to work a treat, no issues so far. Seat cut down and re covered, rear end changed by getting rid of the plastic gaurd and moving the light approx 3" in, cut the "duck tail" to suit, Tarozzi high rise clip ons mounted below the triple clamp (yeh I know but it does give it an old school look) Tarozzi fork brace, stainless brake lines, rebuilt brakes, FORMULA 4to1 exhaust, Showa front forks. I also hated the mickey mouse ears as gauges so I went looking for an electronic dash, the VAPOUR looks a treat I think and works well although the indicator dash lights don't shine bright in sunlight.

I like silver bikes so I took the enamel badges from a 2009 CB1000 and some pics of some bikes (from Benjies site and here) to my painter and gave him artistic licence, I'm more than happy with the result, also got the neat LED indicator mirrors from ebay.

Went for rego just the other day, passed no problem, since then I've done a few miles on the beast, a very smooth powerfull magic carpet ride.

I'm still looking for that elusive CB750 with my name on it but in the meantime I'm detailing the 900, btw a Duke Monster happened into the garage the other week......something to play with between Hondas?
Anyhow here are some pics

CHEERS and thanks

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
Re: 1979 DOHC CB900 finished pics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »
Very nice job!  I like the rectangular "dash" paired with the rectangular mirrors.
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:03:36 am »
Well done finding a 900F with a good engine mate, most of them are well and truly rooted by now. I had one 9 years ago, nice original bike that I bought from the original owner, didn't take much to get it back on the road, but the engine made so many different disconcerting noises with it's two separate cam chains and tensioner assembles that I moved it along pretty quickly.

Back in the day though, I remember my mate Tom getting his bum kicked by a feller on a new "Roller Door". Up until then he thought his Kawasaki Z1 was unbeatable. Good job mate, looks good! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline TommyRocket

• I Love Hondas
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 03:33:03 am »
Nice. I used to have an '83 CB1100F and will always like the '79-'83 DOHCs.

Offline rude

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »
I made some changes to the seat I'd like to share, I used an original seat base, cut down, then using an old cracked perspex screen from a bikini fairing as a mold, layed fiberglass over to get that elusive half "cone" shape. Joined the two together, had a motor trimmer cover for $250 and here is the end result.
I'm happy with it
Again thanks for your inspiration!!
p.s I'm still looking for the s.o.h.c with my name on it...............

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »
Good job mate, well done! I hope you kept the other seat though, I liked it too! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »
Wow, that looks great mate.....good job..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline rude

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:01 pm »
Good job mate, well done! I hope you kept the other seat though, I liked it too! Cheers, Terry

The other seat and light as well as all the standard gear (bars, gauges, seat and indicator lights, front gaurd etc) are all kept stashed away for the day someone wants to carry a pillion or swing the bike back to standard, no wires or metal was cut in this customisation.

cheers

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 01:21:28 am »
no wires or metal was cut in this customisation.

cheers

And I presume no animals were harmed? ;D