Author Topic: Describe what I have here  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Kouros

• Enthusiast
    • DOUBLESTRIPES.COM
Describe what I have here
« on: May 05, 2010, 12:35:04 am »
Okay take it easy guys, first time builder here and taking it slow and easy. ;D
Please describe what I got here and if I need to upgrade anything to better technology.

I'm aware of Hondaman's setup. I'd like to keep other options open as well. What do I need to buy to have a pretty descent system that works and whre do I buy it from.

I will go through the manual checking for problems, but this bike was running before we shut it down for rebuild. FWIW The coils say Dyna on them. What are the points Condenser? Stock? Please give me descriptive info. Appreciate it in advance. Thanks.

-K

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:09:31 am by Kouros »
1974 CB750 K4 (Re-build in-progress)

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
Re: Describe what I have here
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:54:05 am »
I could be misunderstanding you but that's a dyna ignition.  Its magnetic trigger.  You don't have points or condensors.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Kouros

• Enthusiast
    • DOUBLESTRIPES.COM
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:11:33 am »
Well...there...I'm man enough to admit. I don't know much. So I just learned that its magnetic.
1974 CB750 K4 (Re-build in-progress)

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 03:35:29 am »
Yes, that's a Dyna III ignition system. This is obsolete now, replaced by the Dyna S which works the same way more or less and basically puts the complete electronics on the points plate and loses the black box. The III is OK and should continue to work for many years as is.
The coils are stock Honda, I'm pretty sure. No problem with that, unless the cables have aged poorly. These cables can not be changed. You can splice a new cable to a cut off end but the "coil end" of the spark cable is soldered on before the case is moulded onto the internal coil components.

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:01 am »
The Dyna III on my 78k is 15 years old and going strong.  It seems to perform better than the Dyna S's I have used.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:14 pm »
Well...there...I'm man enough to admit. I don't know much. So I just learned that its magnetic.

No problem man I didn't know anything about the dyna until I got mine.

The Dyna III on my 78k is 15 years old and going strong.  It seems to perform better than the Dyna S's I have used.

What didn't you like about your S Vs. the III?
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer