Author Topic: 81 CB650 Clicking noise or clack whatever we call it  (Read 1568 times)

jmonda

81 CB650 Clicking noise or clack whatever we call it
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:46:10 pm »
Hi all I have and 1981 cb650 and this forum has been such a great help.  Anyway I went out for a ride tonight to a town about 20 miles away and when I got there I was hearing a clacking or loud clicking whatever you want to call it which sounded like it was coming from the front sprocket.  I do not hear it when I just spin the wheel but it is slight I hear it louder right when I start to accelerate in first and second gear.  Not sure what this is the chain is tight as I tightened right before I left.  Anyone else experience this type of thing?  It's this clack clack clack anyways it freaked me out I turned around and came straight home.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:09:14 pm by jmonda »

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: 81 CB650 Clicking noise or clack whatever we call it
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:31:59 pm »
When you say you "tightened the chain" you mean you adjusted it leaving about an inch of slack in the lower middle section between the two sprockets eh? ;)
This is probably a stiff section of chain, turn the rear wheel slowly and see if the slack section in the middle lower chain area tightens at any point.
I've had this happen before, very frustraiting until you figure out the chain is knackered.
Also there is a small chain guide inside the engine casing, I straightened this once thinking I was doing good, wrong wrong wrong....I just made the chain hit it every turn which freaked me out much to the amusement of my local bike mechanic who I rushed to. ;D
I think you will find a section of siezed chain somewhere along the length of the chain, this rides up on the front or back sprocket and when released as the chain goes round it makes a clacking sound, my guess.....buggered chain. :)
On the off chance also check the tightness of the large nut that holds the front sprocket on.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

jmonda

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:45:19 pm »
When you say you "tightened the chain" you mean you adjusted it leaving about an inch of slack in the lower middle section between the two sprockets eh?
  Yeah that is what I meant sorry.

This is probably a stiff section of chain, turn the rear wheel slowly and see if the slack section in the middle lower chain area tightens at any point.
Yes is tightens in more then one spot I thought this was normal?  like I have an inch of slack in one spot yet in another spot it is pretty tight (meaning no slack).  So I need to replace my chain?  I have a chain here at the house that the guy gave me when I bought the bike

jmonda

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03:18 pm »
If anyone can tell me whether or not I need to replace my chain do to this I am all ears

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »
Yep mate replace that chain it is buggered.
Unless you mean that along the top from sprocket to sprocket it is tight, this is normal, at the bottom from sprocket to sprocket you should have about an inch or less of play right in the middle.
Any tight spots that appear random as it goes over the rear sprocket mean its junk. ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:25:11 pm by Hush »
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:23:57 pm »
Once you have the chain off, it will be fairly evident if there are tight seized spots, another good gauge of weather it is time to replace your chain is the lateral movement.
Check this by laying the chain on it's side and seeing how much bend you can get out of it.
If it looks like it might go a whole circle it's coozed, if it has say a few feet of bow then it is probably OK.
Unless you know how old your chain is it can be a good thing (like your air filter) to replace when sprucing your bike up for riding.
Once you buy a new chain you can expect to get a good few years out of it, check your sprockets too but only replace if they are terminally hooked (look like sharks fins, heading one way) , many will say replace all as a set, to me that is a waste of good money.

jmonda

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:26 pm »
Any tight spots that appear random as it goes over the rear sprocket mean its junk.
That's what I got. Tight spots then loose spots.

I guess I will replace it this Friday hopefully it is not to difficult of a job. 

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:10:13 am »
What is a chain worth in your area of the world?
Mine cost $75 kiwi, that's probably around $50 bucks U.S. money.
I put an "O" ring chain on my 82 CB650 Custom ($120) but went cheap on my 79 CB650Z and I'm happy with the result.
Those "O" ring chains are a pure pain in the ass to fit, the ones with a clip link are better but we only seem to have the type you have to rivet on locally.
If you don't need to fit an "O" ring I'd get the standard chain (thinks it's a 530) for price and less hassle. ;D

jmonda

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:57 am »
Well I went out and try to put the chain on and of course it is way to long now I have no clue what the heck to do I mean it is like 7 links to long grr.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 06:24:24 am »
Youll have to gring gown a rivet and pound it out.   Check your sprockets good too.  No sence ruining a new chain on worn out sprockets.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

jmonda

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 07:53:15 am »
Youll have to gring gown a rivet and pound it out.   Check your sprockets good too.  No sence ruining a new chain on worn out sprockets.
  grr. pain in the but I took my dremmel and tried it did not work so well I guess I will wait until saturday when I have more time have to get to work.  Also front sprocket seem to have a little wobble to it is this normal does anyone know

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:33:26 am »
a bit of wobble is normal
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:02:21 pm »
My favourite way of removing a few links from a chain is to put it in the vise with an old nut a little bigger than the pin you are trying to drive out.
Place an old pin or cut down nail on the pin (balancing act).
As you tighten the vise, it will push the pin through the old nut and your chain is separated.
Watch out for ricocheting flying bits if it slips off under pressure. ;D
Just remember before you go caveman on the chain to adjust your rear chain adjusters right out to their furtherest possible so the rear axle and wheel can be pulled back to the max.
No point chopping out more links than you need to.
Don't worry, once the chain is on it will slacken a little and leave that 1/2-1 inch of play in the lower section of chain halfway between the sprockets.
Probably a few days of riding it will require a slight adjustment again, only use chain grease especially if it is an "O" ring chain. :)