Author Topic: my cb400  (Read 20961 times)

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
Re: my cb400
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 04:21:08 am »
TG
Gerrit and I were discussing  my engine at the 'Ducati party' on saturday night at the bar, one of the questions was 'did I run an oil cooler ?' he looked quite surprised when I said no, he said it was very important and I should have one on it, I was not going to argue with a man of his knowledge but asked him why , as he started to explain the F.......g Disco went on to full throttle and it was so difficult to communicate, Gerrit left soon afterwards as he was not drinking and it was uncomfortably noisy.
As it happens I have an oil cooler set up in a box, so it will now be fitted to the bike.
I know there have been plenty of debates on the pro's and con's of oil coolers on these forums, but when a man who builds race engines for a living tells me I should have one ,I think I should take his advice.
Perhaps Gerrit will read this and explain the reasons. :)

BTW.Col and  I stopped at the bar and drank far too much lager !!!!!!!!! ;D

Dave

Offline Yrjo#54

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 07:15:00 am »

Dave

The other friend of yours drank far far far too much lager ;) :D :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:56:59 am by Yrjo#54 »

Offline xtof

• xtof
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:19 pm »

Hello SPECWELD
Thank you for your answer. For the carburators, mine are coming from sudco also. And for the oil cooler, it is necessary to take care very much to the temperature when it is raining. During my last race with rain, I have finished the race at 140 F. According to me, too low : it was certainly why my motor has been broken (BEARING CONNECTING rod)
Good luck for your next races !

SALUTATION iCHRISTOPHE

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 09:23:52 am »
Some more pics................

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2011, 09:27:01 am »
some more...................

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2011, 09:36:45 am »
some more..............plus one of Robert Dunlop ,Gooseneck, Manx GP 2010.
Just showing off 'cos I've finally learnt how to put a picture on......... ;D ;D ;D

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2011, 12:02:31 pm »
hei spec, coolio pixs

where's the disc and carrier from?

TG

Offline classic bike tuner

• Enthusiast
  • http://www.cmrch.nl/
    • cmrch.nl/
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 01:18:29 pm »
TG
Gerrit and I were discussing  my engine at the 'Ducati party' on saturday night at the bar, one of the questions was 'did I run an oil cooler ?' he looked quite surprised when I said no, he said it was very important and I should have one on it, I was not going to argue with a man of his knowledge but asked him why , as he started to explain the F.......g Disco went on to full throttle and it was so difficult to communicate, Gerrit left soon afterwards as he was not drinking and it was uncomfortably noisy.
As it happens I have an oil cooler set up in a box, so it will now be fitted to the bike.
I know there have been plenty of debates on the pro's and con's of oil coolers on these forums, but when a man who builds race engines for a HOBBY tells me I should have one ,I think I should take his advice.
Perhaps Gerrit will read this and explain the reasons. :)

Dave

cooler oil maens a cooler engine  mostly on critical places  internal
olso the oil pressure go's up 
deu to the warm up of the engine the air/feul mixture becomes richer 
so you end up with more power
oil  wil stay longer good at lower temp
less problems with haedgaskets and O rings at lower temperature
less problems wit detonation at lower temperature

just a few reasons for fitting a cooler

foxhonda makes a very nice adapter plate for connecting the cooler and fitting a new type of spin on oilfilter  = olso smaller / lighter

ask him cant find it on his website  info@voxonda.com

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:13 pm »
Thanks for the pics, looks a great bike & coupled with that power curve it must be a lot of fun to ride. Other than the engine (casings) and the frame I can't spot any other original 400/4 parts remaining.. tis clearly well developed!     

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:35 pm »
TG,
disc and carrier came from original doner TZ, inc. ap calipers, I didn't just destroy a good TZ for these parts, the bike was badly damaged (frame written off) in a crash at the Isle of Man (ballaugh) around about 1980.

Gerrit,
thankyou for the info re. oil cooler, and also for the info you sent on the email.

dave.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2011, 02:09:46 am »
Specweld,

Your bike looks fantastic. I can't believe that's a 400! I just recognize the engine casings. What tank is that? If you don't mind be asking, where did you get it? I'd love to see how you mounted your fairing too. I've got a fibreglass one sitting in a box, I just need to figure out how to mount the thing!

I really want to see some wide shots of your bike. I love my 400 but I've never seen one that looks as fast as yours!

Thanks,
Rick.

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2011, 12:55:27 am »
Thanks Rick,
I think the tank is from an early TZ yamaha, before they had cantilever suspension, sorry can't be precise, I've had this bike a long time and lots of parts have come and gone along the way.

Come to think of it , this particular tank was a gift from Col (iomtt9) after I let him race the bike one time, he crashed while lying second and the tank was badly damaged.
He had this tank spare in his garage so he donated it to me , cos he is one of lifes good guys, (not to mention guilt association) ;)

It's hard to describe how the fairng is fitted , but brackets need to be welded to the headstock and frame in places you couldn't do on a road bike.

Ill take the camera to the workshop today and see if I can get the details, might even take it outside and see if I can get full on side shot , (only if this rain holds off).

Dave

• Enthusiast
    • cmrch.nl/
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2011, 05:18:56 am »

Hello SPECWELD
Thank you for your answer. For the carburators, mine are coming from sudco also. And for the oil cooler, it is necessary to take care very much to the temperature when it is raining. During my last race with rain, I have finished the race at 140 F. According to me, too low : it was certainly why my motor has been broken (BEARING CONNECTING rod)
Good luck for your next races !

SALUTATION iCHRISTOPHE

hallo xtof  have you seen this topic 
its about sludge in the crank
 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83495.msg954202#msg954202

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2011, 08:26:06 am »
Rick,

Wide shots as requested.

Fairing brackets difficult to shoot, but if your's is a road bike they would not be suitable anyway, unless you want to run without a headlight and weld brackets to your frame. :(

Dave

Offline Fred T

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:57 am »
Awesome bike.  What type of exhaust is that?

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2011, 12:03:41 am »
Fred,

As far as I can remember , the header pipes came from Piper and the tail end is a 'Bitza' (bitza this and bitza that).

The tail end and muffler have been altered/changed quite a lot over the years mainly due to 'accidental' damage and re routing.
The header pipes tend not to get damaged as they don't stick out too much , so when the rear gets damaged we usually cobble something together from bits and pieces around the workshop or adapt parts we can pick up at the bike breakers. :)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2011, 01:43:30 am »
I was having a clear out last night and came across a magazine with 4 into one race systems for the 400 500 and 750.
The price was to die for at just £35 plus postage. :o........................................

it was 1973 though. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2011, 09:25:37 am »
Fred,

As far as I can remember , the header pipes came from Piper and the tail end is a 'Bitza' (bitza this and bitza that).

The tail end and muffler have been altered/changed quite a lot over the years mainly due to 'accidental' damage and re routing.
The header pipes tend not to get damaged as they don't stick out too much , so when the rear gets damaged we usually cobble something together from bits and pieces around the workshop or adapt parts we can pick up at the bike breakers. :)

marving in italy still make something pretty similar BTW, thats the one i've been using

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2011, 09:46:20 am »
Gerrit,

oil cooler fitted as promised, second hand (£15 from bike breaker) but pressure tested and leaking >:(
One of the pipe fittings was cracked so cut both of them off, got 2 new ones made and I welded them on this afternoon.
then bead blasted, 1 hour in the ulrasonic bath, dried out in oven and fitted, no leaks  :)
Will do for now, until something tidier comes along (had no time to get new one as off to East Fortune Friday morn)

• Enthusiast
    • cmrch.nl/
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2011, 03:21:18 am »
and dave how was your weekend   8)   :-[    :'(   :)

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:55 am »
You were right about the oil cooler Gerrit, the engine held it's pressure much longer and didn't drop anywhere near as mutch as it usually does.
The good news is,the engine was as sweet as a nut and pulled like a train, the bad news is I only got the  two practice sessions completed .
In the first race, did warm up lap and first lap of the race (heavy rain), then it was red flagged because of an accident, at the restart on the line I noticed smoke coming from under the tank, the matrix on the cooler had split and was dripping oil on to the exhaust headers, so had to pull out.
We checked the oil and it had lost half a litre during those two laps, so maybe the red flag did me a favour.
So now it is one round each for and against oil coolers  :)
all in all we still had a good weekend (even though the weather was crap) and came home with an engine still intact :D
Col had a good result with a 2nd and a third.

Offline malcolmgb

• What am I not? an
  • Expert
  • The BEST 400 four by far
    • malcnet
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

We checked the oil and it had lost half a litre during those two laps, so maybe the red flag did me a favour.

Oops! hope you weren't the reason for the red flag  ;)
Malcolm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1977 CB400F
1973 CL175 K7
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=1988

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 12:20:35 pm »
Luckilly not, I saw the crashed bike well in front of me and the oil off mine was misting on to the front of my engine and evaporating, even on the grid the oil was going on to the pipes and not on the floor.

Offline malcolmgb

• What am I not? an
  • Expert
  • The BEST 400 four by far
    • malcnet
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:10 pm »
Do you get south of Croft? CRMC Darley or Cadwell perhaps. Would like to see the bike in action.
Malcolm

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1977 CB400F
1973 CL175 K7
1976 XL175 - Sold
1964 CL72
1966 CA78
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=1988

Offline specweld

• Enthusiast
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 11:31:04 pm »
may do classic club 500 air cooled series next year , hoping to ride this weekend at knockhill as it's one of their meetings .